Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: crissykays ( )
Date: September 22, 2014 11:52AM

I know I have posted this before but I am still at a loss as to what the church means when they proclaim that the end of families as we know it will come if homosexuals are allowed to marry have children etc. by whatever means necessary adoption surrogacy. There are so many children in this world who need a loving home and many homosexual couples are willing to give them this love. To me a happy loving home is what is important not what kind of sex is going on in the bedrooms. I just don't get why they fight sooo hard against this. Now mind you I have a cousin whom I love dearly and we all knew when he was growing up that he was probably gay. I still believe in God and if God created him he did not make a mistake by creating him to be gay he was born the way he is and that's that. So why does the "one true church" not get that allowing people to love who they wish is what is right why do they fight so hard against it?????

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: September 22, 2014 12:08PM

they wouldn't be advising gays to marry, which they still do. I think it was nonsequiter who was told to marry not too long ago by many different leaders.

When these marriages end, it is living hell. The only marriages that will be effected by gay marriage are ones like mine--meaning there will be one less divorce for every gay who chooses not to marry someone straight.

I agree also about all the kids that could probably find a loving home if gays could adopt.

And straights have made a joke of marriage in many ways. Why not let the gays have the chance to prove they are more than capable of doing better than the straights do (and I do believe they are).

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/22/2014 07:36PM by cl2.

Posted by: nonsequiter ( )
Date: September 22, 2014 05:22PM

Yes, it was me!

I was told by my mission president, stake president and Bishop after my mission and even by my own Father at one point,

1) to associate with women more (which is stupid since most of my friends are women)
2) get married to a woman.

4 different priesthood leaders each with a claim to be able to have some sort of revelation for me, all advising an openly gay member to get married to a woman anyway...

This in 2012-2013.

They say they dont do this anymore, but it still happens, its just hushed up.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/22/2014 07:35PM by nonsequiter.

Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: September 22, 2014 07:34PM

I cannot believe this. What they say they do officially is so different that what you see when you lift up the rug.

If anyone pushes a gay guy to get married the response to the Bishop or SP should be, "May I have your daughter's hand in marriage?" They'll change their tune in a heartbeat.

Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: September 22, 2014 12:41PM

The only thing I can figure is that Bigotry is addictive.

Posted by: tootsmcguire ( )
Date: September 22, 2014 04:20PM

I Think it is the nonsensical view that homosexuality is learned behaviour.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: September 22, 2014 05:18PM

The exact same logic that declares coffee and sleeveless tops immoral. "Because we said so."

Posted by: sassypants nli ( )
Date: September 22, 2014 06:55PM

I think there may be some scapegoating as well. The church(es) focus on a particular group or issue to obfuscate. As long as members are paranoid about a non-issue and a group of people that they can demonise, then people spend less time examining the church's faults and even their own individual faults.

Posted by: rationalist01 ( )
Date: September 22, 2014 07:04PM

Tscc is on the wrong side of history once again. The national attitude toward gay marriage is changing rapidly. This surprised me, but it's happening. They'll be pointed out even more as a homophobic organization. That will make them eventually cave, but this one will come hard. Admitting some people are born gay will be in a way, admitting that their theology is wrong.

Posted by: rationalist01 ( )
Date: September 22, 2014 07:10PM

"policy statement" by Mark E. Petersen, 1950's:

" If that Negro is faithful all his days, he can and will enter the celestial kingdom. He will go there as a servant, but he will get a celestial resurrection."

Apparent policy of TSCC today:

" If that Homo is faithful and celibate all his days, he can and will enter the celestial kingdom. He will go there without genitals and be denied eternal procreation, but he will get a celestial resurrection."

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: September 22, 2014 07:07PM

I've taught the children of gay parents and worked with the couples in question (and so has my sister-in-law.) As a whole, the gay couples are at least as good as heterosexual parents and perhaps even somewhat better because their children only come through intention. When the classmates of these kids are brought up without prejudice, the kids don't have any problem with it either. Kristen has two mommies, and no daddy? Oh, okay. That's how kids respond unless they've been taught differently.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/22/2014 07:08PM by summer.

Posted by: dogzilla ( )
Date: September 23, 2014 10:23AM

When I was 8, my mom's brother had sex reassignment surgery. Mom sat us down and told us that Uncle Dan felt like he was a woman in a man's body, so he was going to live as a woman and we'd all call him "she" and "her" and Aunt Eve. Eventually, she would have the surgery and would forever be a woman and we should treat her as such, starting right now, with the use of the now-correct pronoun.

It was not a big deal at all to me at that age. "Oh. Okay."

Posted by: themaster ( )
Date: September 22, 2014 07:16PM

TSCC onyly wants married couples with children still at home to fill its chapels. That is the group it wants to serve (collect funds from). They get the biggest bang for their dollar from this group. If you are not a member of a family unit get the fuck out of Dodge until you get married and start having babies. If you used to be in that group and your kids are now gone, no one at TSCC gives a shlt about you. You have become a wasted asset.

Posted by: Dave in Hollywood ( )
Date: September 22, 2014 07:27PM

As long as someone has tithing money to give and potentially an estate to deed over to the church, no one is wasted in the church (well not in the fun way). You aren't a wasted asset to the church until you don't have another nickel to give.

Posted by: Platypus ( )
Date: September 22, 2014 07:40PM

He makes a mid 6 figure income, pays more tithing than many people make in a year. Instead of being shunned by TSCC, he's on his stake's high council.

Posted by: WillieBoy ( )
Date: September 22, 2014 07:30PM

If it becomes legal TommieMonson and BoydKKK Packer will be a couple and it will shatter their families and little widow ladies won't bake Tommie any more cookies.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: September 22, 2014 10:45PM

Because they figure they must stand between you and your eternal goal/ God[hood]... & your (freely "offered" offerings) wallet to get what they want - the best way to do that is to get between you and what matters most - family.

By putting down any aspect of someone's habbitual behavior, demeanor or personality, any segment of society, any part of anyone's family is unChristlike - devil + egos-evil = Mormonism - shows impatience, intolerance and insufficient light to be acting as a guide in the dark.

The way you treat the least of these.

Posted by: Outsider not logged in ( )
Date: September 23, 2014 02:39AM

The very first time I told my 5-year-old that some families have two mommies or two daddies, she was a little surprised. what! But I reminded her that she friend Amy has only a mommy, and Chris lives with only his daddy, and there are some kids who live with two mommies.

Somehow it wasn't a big deal.

I wash that the TBM were so easy to explain to.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.