Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: bezoar ( )
Date: November 07, 2013 03:25PM

This article is on The Advocate's website today:

http://www.advocate.com/politics/religion/2013/11/07/reid-mormons-are-evolving-lgbt-rights

I find it interesting that the mormon church is "gradually evolving" on gay rights. Reminds me of when the church gradually evolved on civil rights, eventually leading to blacks receiving the priesthood in 1978.

If the cult is really led by a prophet who receives direct communication from God, why the hell do they have to evolve on anything??? Why couldn't God just say, "This is the way things are going to be." The mormon church would be viewed as progressive and leading the way forward.

Of course this would never happen because it's all fiction. I'm sure the prophet hears from the church public affairs office a heck of a lot more than he ever hears from God. I can't imagine a God who would rely on focus groups.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: No Mo Lurker ( )
Date: November 07, 2013 05:17PM

But I thought Mormons didn't believe in evolution ;0

Posted by: acerbic ( )
Date: November 07, 2013 05:21PM

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: November 07, 2013 05:30PM

(the LDS) God is so unsure/insecure/uncertain of things... s/he has to MAKE SURE that the words s/he speaks will be accepted/won't spark a Revolt... before they're uttered.

Sheese, I though Everyone knew that!

Posted by: Doubting Thomas ( )
Date: November 07, 2013 05:35PM

Who gave Harry Reid permission to speak for TSCC? This guy is such weak sauce. Democrats should be totally embarrassed that this dude is their leader in the Senate.

OMG.

Posted by: kimball ( )
Date: November 07, 2013 05:42PM

...and the rest of society has evolved farther because they don't have the church holding them back.

Posted by: onlinemoniker ( )
Date: November 07, 2013 05:46PM

Mormons don't oppose gay rights bc the church is fiction. The church opposes gay rights because the leaders in the church don't like gay people. Just like they don't really like black people. (Meaning, they feel superior to both groups.) If they did like them, they'd treat them equally to all the white, straight people.

Posted by: Finally Free! ( )
Date: November 07, 2013 05:47PM

While I think that the church will eventually be forced to change its stance on LGBT issues, they haven't even started yet. The recent "official statement" after the supreme court ruling showed that. While the PR department came up with the whole "mormonsandgays.org" site, that's nothing more than a positive spin on the same crap they've been spewing for years.

Harry Reid may think it's a good idea for them to "evolve" on the issue... but they certainly haven't.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.