Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: jonny ( )
Date: September 22, 2014 02:30AM

So I got the link from someone on here for meet the Mormons. it was of the mashie josh going on and being on his fun mission. So, is this the one being in the theatres in October, or is there another movie that I am missing?

If so, what is the other movie? Anyone know much about it? Should I go see it (I live in Utah county, can wait till it's at the dollar fifty show)

So, i'm confused.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: nonsequiter ( )
Date: September 22, 2014 02:32AM

http://meetthemormons.com/about

This is the movie.

Not to be confused with the UK documentary showing how miserable everyone is on their missions.

Posted by: nonamekid ( )
Date: September 22, 2014 02:34AM

The one you are talking about was a UK documentary about a missionary. The other one is produced by the cult in an attempt to portray Mos as normal - like a feature movie made from their recent ads.

Posted by: ozpoof ( )
Date: September 22, 2014 07:18AM

How can the CULT use that title if it's been used?

Posted by: East Coast Exmo ( )
Date: September 22, 2014 08:42AM

I have vague and fuzzy memories of a church-produced documentary from the 60s or 70s that had the title "Meet the Mormons".

If so, the church can claim that the UK documentary used their title. I don't believe that titles are protected strongly under copyright law anyway.

Does anyone else remember an older version of "Meet the Mormons"?

Posted by: southern idaho inactive ( )
Date: September 22, 2014 12:42PM

That's a good question. If you look at the Internet Movie Database it happens all the time. Not just this movie. It's the same title but different plot. When I first heard about "The Avengers". I first thought of the 1998 movie starring Sean Connery.

The Avengers (1998)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0118661/?ref_=tt_rec_tt

When in reality it was something totallly different.

The Avengers (2012)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0848228/

Posted by: sunnynomo ( )
Date: September 22, 2014 04:17PM

I believe it is deliberate, but will prove foolhardy and misguided. The church is painfully aware that the UK meet the Mormons was a very bad decision, and they cannot remove it from the public square of the Internet. They're only hope is to "replace" it with their new, shiny version - kind of like how the number of "hits" on a website can move it up on a google search. While they may have some limited success with that, unfortunately the unintended consequence will be possibly well-meaning individuals that will see the UK version instead of the new, polished production they are desperate to promote.

They would have been better off naming it something totally different. However, in their arrogance, I think they honestly believe if they get enough of a positive response, they can totally wipe out the other movie from the public square.

Further down the road, I think this will still bite them - innocent Mormons will accidentally click on the wrong version ...

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: September 23, 2014 08:53PM

http://youtu.be/-jORAciyGk4 - originally aired in the UK - 45 minutes of a waste of time. Poor missionaries. May learn someday.

Posted by: Exdrymo ( )
Date: September 22, 2014 05:12PM

Copyright doesn't cover titles.

Posted by: The other Sofia ( )
Date: September 22, 2014 08:47AM

Yes. I remember the older version from the 60's. Awful. This one is being heavily promoted on Facebook. The church is donated the proceeds to the Red Cross, which is being criticized by RC haters in and out of the church. I can't imagine that will actually be much of issue since it won't make much money anyhow.

Posted by: fossilman ( )
Date: September 22, 2014 02:16PM

I remember showing the "Meet the Morons" film strip to the poor, unsuspecting people of Japan. My apologies.

Posted by: Phazer ( )
Date: September 22, 2014 02:21PM

Maybe a film projector guy can switch out the film with the FLDS documentary instead. That's real mormonism right there.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: September 22, 2014 03:52PM

I tried posting a "negative" but polite comment on the movie's actual page -- all I put was, "The movie may be very inspiring to members of the Mormon church, but it has little to no interest among non-members."

It posted. Then it was deleted 30 seconds later. Looks like they're monitoring the page very closely to remove anything other than TBM fawning.

Posted by: Plaid n Paisley ( )
Date: September 22, 2014 04:44PM

And yet, the FaceBook page for the president of BYU-I wasn't being monitored by anyone for a couple of days...

They don't have enough fingers to stop up every hole in the dike. The Internet is not their friend. If TSCC and the members-at-large greatly curtailed their internet presence, they'd stand a better chance at keeping negative and unflattering items out of public view. But this would be at the cost of the brethren using the internet to make it seem *to the members* that the work is hastening. They can't win.

Posted by: southern idaho inactive ( )
Date: September 22, 2014 05:16PM

It's the equivalent of Icebergs hitting the Titanic. They're don't have enough life boats and ways to fix the leaks.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: September 22, 2014 11:01PM

Meet a Mormon. See if they have ever met one.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.