Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: themaster ( )
Date: September 21, 2014 11:10PM

So my wife and I used to be hard core TBM's which has nothing to do with the story. Our bishop who was a really good bishop left his wife and 8 kids to be with his mistress. They had been having an affair since before he became the bishop. She was his first love but not LDS so his parents had convinced him to leave her and marry a nice LDS girl. The bishop told me he had to take the bishop calling because he worked for the SP and was worried he would be fired if he did not accept the "calling".

So the Stake President was inspired to call a man who was having an affair to be the bishop.

Have you had a a bishop that was having an affair while the bishop? Do you think the SP was inspired of God to have called him as the bishop?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/21/2014 11:12PM by themaster.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Mr. Happy ( )
Date: September 21, 2014 11:16PM

No...never had a Bishop who was having an affair. But I did have a Stake President who was ex'd when it was revealed he was in a seven year relationship with another guy. My father was one of the High Counselmen who sat in on his "court of love".

Posted by: sage ( )
Date: September 21, 2014 11:21PM

In 1977 I was living in a ward where the bishop had an affair with the YW Pres.

Posted by: Emmabiteback ( )
Date: September 21, 2014 11:28PM

I don't know if any were "bishop", but there was a large,group of men in northern Utah that did meet up on the DL. Several closeted gays, that were in a heterosexual relationship. They lived their lives the way they saw respected by their peers, but had to lie about who they really were. This is sad on so many levels, but hey "I am from UTAH and they stole my life from me"...could be a new, compelling series of the "mormon side effect"..tragic to say the least..

Posted by: noone ( )
Date: September 22, 2014 08:45AM

Please excuse my ignorance of the term "DL" and explain what it means so that I can make sense of your post.

Posted by: greensmythe ( )
Date: September 22, 2014 09:30AM

DL is slang for "Down Low"

Posted by: noone ( )
Date: September 22, 2014 07:37PM

Thank you, greensmythe.

Posted by: Anon for this ( )
Date: September 22, 2014 11:47PM

My father used to meet with some unusual friends at two venues in SLC in the late 70's and early 80's -after my mother died it became clear he was gay and the meetings had been with other gay men.

Posted by: tig ( )
Date: September 21, 2014 11:31PM

Yes. When I was a youth. Bishop with single mom in the ward. Later divorced his wife, abandoned his kids and married the new woman. Member n good standing of course.

Posted by: goldenrule ( )
Date: September 21, 2014 11:36PM

Nope not an affair. But I did have a Bishop go to jail for financial fraud and criminal theft. Good times.

Posted by: eunice ( )
Date: September 21, 2014 11:38PM

My personal opinion is that not a damn single one of the church leaders, from bishops up to the prophet, are inspired by God to give callings to anyone.

A non-member friend of ours was married to a molly mormon several years ago. They were having some issues, so she started going to her bishop for "counseling." She and her bishop were having an affair. Our friend divorced her, the bishop's wife divorced him, and our friend's ex is now married to her former bishop. They have both "repented" and she is ecstatic to have her eternal companion. Never knew her or her bishop personally, so I cannot say if his SP was inspired to call him to that position.

As far as "inspired" leaders go, daddy-in-law was a bishop and stake president a couple of times, as well as worked for TSCC his whole adult life. The first time he was called to be a SP was by BKP. He has had lifelong struggles with same sex attraction (only admitted this after retiring and being kicked off of a mission he was serving with his wife) and we know of at least one incident where he attempted to molest a teenage male relative. That incident happened while he was in the middle of his career as a church employee and he had just been released as a SP.

Posted by: Platypus ( )
Date: September 22, 2014 12:14AM

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: September 22, 2014 08:16AM

Ditto that. DW always gets this mixed up, thinking gays are molesters.

Posted by: gentlestrength ( )
Date: September 22, 2014 12:06AM

Is this or was this a surprise to you that a Mormon Stake president is not an inspired man, but a bureaucratic crab in a bucket trying to get up one more rung on the ladder? I am confident his religious career stopped with tapping out an adulterating bishop.

Awful story on Mormonism. He followed one rule in order to break another and create many more victims and damage.

Mormons should be more transparent to their children about the temple before they get married. This was a train wreck.

Posted by: scmd ( )
Date: September 22, 2014 01:20AM

In a mission (west coast state is all I can say) in which my dad was president, not long before we got there, the stake pres. and stake R.S. pres. were outed and exed for having an affair. My dad was very glad it happened BEFORE we got there even though it wouldn't have been his problem per se, although the p.r. nightmare surrounding it didn't do much to help the mishies in finding converts. Now I see that as the cloud's silver lining.

As far as adulterating bishops, to the best of my knowledge I've never had one.

Posted by: AZanon ( )
Date: September 22, 2014 01:37AM

My grandfather was felt inspired to have an affair, leave his wife, abandon his family, marry his mistress, take in her children...then was celebrated on the front page on the Church News in the 70's for converting this woman and her 5 daughters.

Posted by: slskipper ( )
Date: September 22, 2014 03:03AM

In a faraway land where prostitution is legal, a member of the stake presidency was a regular customer. Then one day one of his "tension relievers" joined the church...

Posted by: Exmo Mom ( )
Date: September 22, 2014 09:56AM

Wow, that's a cool story. I mean, in that it just shows the hypocracy is rampant

Posted by: anonymouse2 ( )
Date: September 22, 2014 11:32PM

Did he get celebrated for saving her and bringing her stray soul into the church?

Posted by: WillieBoy ( )
Date: September 22, 2014 05:17AM

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/politics/55508662-90/fife-mayor-brigham-kulkarni.html.csp

Read about Bishop Fife - also Mayor Fife of Brigham City.

During his election campaign there were signs around town stating "fine LDS man". This kind of sign is not the norm in Utah elections but is not unusual either.

Just another Utah hypocrite.

Posted by: ExMoBandB ( )
Date: September 22, 2014 05:38AM

In SLC, a bishop was having an affair with the chorister, who was pregnant. There was such a scandal, that they both got divorces, married to each other, and moved to a different city--and into my ward. I knew them for 10 years. No one in our ward knew about their past. One day, I was at their house, rehearsing a musical group, when her husband and her son walked in together, and I remarked on how they looked exactly alike. The husband and wife looked at me in horror, and changed the subject. Later, I was told that the youngest son was supposed to have been fathered by her first husband. She was pregnant when they were cheating, but they had been cheating before she got pregnant. This ex-bishop became the teacher in the elder's quorum, and encouraged the men that is was OK, and very fun to have affairs, like JS did. The men would lie for each other, if any wives were looking for them. The whole group secret exploded, and 7 husbands were excommunicated! My own husband and his bishopric brother were among them. The ex-bishop was not excommunicated, however.

Bad things come out of lies and secrets--and that goes for the Mormon cult, too.

Our Stake President's counselor had an affair, but he had been a widower for 6 years. Women were all over him. They brought him meals, washed and ironed his shirts, even cleaned his house. I had to deal with this creep, because of my church calling. We came out of another ward house, and a woman had left a very graphic note under his windshield wiper. One night, I turned the corner of our street, and my headlights flashed into a neighbor's garage, and I saw him making out with his married secretary. This secretary was barely out of high school, married, with a baby. She and her husband were staying at the neighbor's house, while they were on a mission. I didn't say anything. I probably should have. A few weeks later, the husband came home unexpectedly and caught his wife and the counselor in bed together. The husband divorced her, and she married the counselor, then they got divorced and married other people, then the counselor got divorced and married someone else, them the neighbor's girl got divorced and re-married the counselor, but their marriage lasted less than a year.

I had a bishop hit on me--for real. Here's another good Mormon pickup line, which he told me, "I'm just enduring to the end in my marriage." I got angry at him for thinking I was that kind of woman, and for thinking I would be interested in a shriveled-up little arrogant geek. Later, the same bishop hit on one of my married friends.

It was a relief to put all this garbage behind me and go back to the Lutheran church. Nothing happens there.

Posted by: imaworkinonit ( )
Date: September 22, 2014 06:41AM

I think they exed him. For some reason, they also disfellowshipped his wife, and I think it was because she gossiped about the situation. Rather harsh on her, don't ya think?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/22/2014 06:41AM by imaworkinonit.

Posted by: hello ( )
Date: September 22, 2014 07:53AM

Bishop, high council Hawaiian/Asian guy, well-respected and considered gifted spiritually, a local prophet, finally exed for adultery after wrecking who knows how many families? This guy was notorious for inappropriate hugging of other mens' wives, altho he was given slack because of his cultural background, so everyone thot he was super spiritual.

Classic grooming behaviors. And no, the stake leaders didn't catch on to him at all.

Posted by: sherlock ( )
Date: September 22, 2014 08:34AM

Yes I sadly know of a handful of Bishops/SPs and SP councillors that have had affairs (mostly with other members). Many were initiated by the leader, but I'm aware of some needy women that have apparently made the first move... some of a more predatory nature even stalking until they get what they're after.

So, yes, church leaders are certainly not as immune as TBMs would like to think so, and while the vast majority don't stray, I suppose those who are susceptible can take advantage of the situation they find themselves in - i.e. held in high regard by many, lots of opportunities for private 1-1 conversations and often times involved in more intimate discussions and sexual confessions.

Sadly the initial support offered to a needy and perhaps vulnerable member can be taken further / taken advantage of by either party. Especially if the over-worked church leader has a fairly miserable marriage at home.

Not excusing poor behaviour, just that these people are put into quite unique situations where by purposeful design or via a temporary moment of weakness, things can quickly snowball.

Posted by: SwiperXE ( )
Date: September 22, 2014 08:42AM

themaster Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> Have you had a a bishop that was having an affair
> while the bishop? Do you think the SP was inspired
> of God to have called him as the bishop?

I had a bishop getting arrested for statory rape of several of his female students. He worked as a coach at the local high school. He liked to invite the girls to his house and having parties involving alcohol. After the arrest he was quietly released from his calling without any explanation.

Inspired calling for sure.

Posted by: The other Sofia ( )
Date: September 22, 2014 08:45AM

Had a bishop whose wife had an affair with another woman. This was in the 70's. Imagine the talk then! She left him for the other woman, which is what brought it all to light. They had several children in High School and just starting college. Of course both she and the other woman were ex'd and he quickly remarried a "righteous" woman in the temple.

Posted by: Twinker ( )
Date: September 22, 2014 09:02AM

had a life-long affair with a man 20 years her senior. She was never Mormon. At some point he was called as bishop and their affair stopped. After his term as bishop, they picked up where they left off.

Posted by: Bradley ( )
Date: September 22, 2014 09:36AM

"She was his first love but not LDS so his parents had convinced him to leave her and marry a nice LDS girl."

So he fixed his mistake. That's what I call repentance.

Posted by: Sir_John ( )
Date: September 22, 2014 10:11AM

Yes, Albuquerque, about 1995. He was a current bish and had a long affair with a non member at work. He was exed. He had a ton of kids and the wife was crushed but they stayed together. I think he moved out of state to try to get away from his reputation.

Posted by: Anon Witness ( )
Date: September 22, 2014 10:50AM

Oh, yes. Bishops have affairs. Here's one from a Utah ward several years ago:

A bishop had a secret affair with a lady in the ward lasting several years. Soon after he was released from his calling as bishop, both he and the woman filed for divorce from their respective spouses at about the same time. Once both of the legal proceedings cleared, the two adulterers got married in the temple (!!!) to each other.

To this day, the former bishop and woman maintain full standing in the church. They continue to deny having an affair despite a volume of evidence--phone bills, strange cash withdraws, observed inappropriate behavior, unexcused absences from work, multiple eyewitness sightings, and etc.

ATTN LDS HQ spies who are reading this thread: Your local ecclesiastic leaders destroy families, ruin lives, spin webs of lies, and do it all in the name of Jesus Christ. I guess they are just following the example of Joseph Smith.

Posted by: BG ( )
Date: September 22, 2014 11:50PM

Catalina Foothills Ward, Tucson Arizona.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.