Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: September 21, 2014 10:12PM

Monday on Dr. Phil.

"I Spanked My Wife with a Wooden Spoon, and She Needs to Repent"

Last October, Kirby made headlines — and spent 13 weeks in jail — after his wife of 26 years, Renee, videotaped him spanking her with a wooden spoon. Kirby says he wants to try to save his marriage with his now-estranged wife — if she will just “repent”! With a protection order preventing Kirby from having any contact with Renee, Dr. Phil speaks to him via satellite. Hear what Kirby claims led up to the incident — and why he thinks Renee is the one who should be apologizing! Plus, what other behavior did Renee catch on tape? Is Kirby commanding respect, or is he just being a bully? (*No, he is being an asshat)

Continued Tuesday

"My Husband Spanked Me with a Wooden Spoon, and He Wants Me to Apologize?!"

Dr. Phil sits down with Renee, whose husband, Kirby, made headlines last year for spanking her with a wooden paddle — an incident she caught on camera. Kirby, interviewed separately due to a protection order, told his side of the story yesterday. Today, Renee says it took her years to realize that what she considered “domestic discipline” was actually abuse. What made her decide to record Kirby that night and then turn the video over to police? And, is there any chance of saving this marriage?

Previews here http://www.drphil.com/

This topic has come up on the board before. I for one do not believe for one second that there isn't a sexual component. I see NOTHING wrong with what ADULTS want to do in their own homes but for hell's sake be HONEST about it and don't cloak your own desires in this "It's for Jesus" bullshit. Just keep it safe, sane and CONSENSUAL. If you google "domestic discipline" it comes up with some, er, interesting results. Quite a few about it being a component of polygamy, I find that very telling.

If my husband ever demanded that I call him Sir I would be dead - from laughing. If I ever called my husband Sir he would be running for the bank accounts to see what I had done ;). Bottom line, spouses (of any gender) must be EQUAL to have a healthy relationship IMHO. Note from Hubby - it is a PARTNERSHIP and I can call him anything I want as long as I call him for dinner.

And just for fun on Friday - "He's Nearly 30 and Engaged to My Teen with Braces"

*SD behave yourself, I will be watching! I know how this topic sets you off ;P

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: September 21, 2014 10:14PM

This one sounds truly bizarre. Thanks for letting me know so I'll turn the TV on tomorrow.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/21/2014 10:15PM by cl2.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: September 21, 2014 10:20PM

Amen, Sus.

That's just disgusting (not in the SD kind of way. LOL!).

Posted by: Emmabiteback ( )
Date: September 21, 2014 10:47PM

I better clear a space for Tuesday. That story line needs my attention. What male in this world disciplines a wife with a wooden spoon? Why did he think that would be ok on any level? I am assuming he sniffed glue or something. Thanks Susan..I do like me a little Dr Phil.

Date: September 21, 2014 10:56PM

and his wife gets on my LAST nerve but I do like some of what he says. Don't forget to watch Monday too, the husband seems very... entertaining (OK if you like batshit crazy). I am glad he got some jail time to show BOTH of them this is NOT OK. I don't think it sunk in with him though. I would bet he is abusive in other ways as well.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: September 21, 2014 11:27PM

Date: September 21, 2014 11:44PM

is I can't nail down why she bugs me. Same with Martha Stewart. Plastic, fakey, rahrah, SOMETHING! Part of it is the way they take credit for things when you know there is a paid army behind them doing the real work. And they both look like they could be RS Pres or something. Robin is doing some good work, don't get me wrong. I think the app they came out with for abuse victims is BLOODY BRILLIANT but again I doubt she had much real input. She is going to be the Girl Scout front person this next year and I am always happy to see them get some promotion. Now if they would just team up with Exxon and their "Helping kids become engineers" program. One tidbit is that only one woman that has been an astronaut was not a Girl Scout, I think that is telling. As is the way LDSInc doesn't really let girls do GS, at least in my case. Brownies were OK but GS, no way in hell. Funny, I still ended up an uppity woman ;)

Posted by: Emmabiteback ( )
Date: September 21, 2014 11:56PM

I wasn't allowed to be in the girl scouts either. 5 brothers, 4 eagle scouts in the end. LDS based of course...I was told the LDS program for girls, was much better. Its a course for the suppressed. Girl scout cookies are my largest donation that applies to anything worth bragging about..I did just boast. It is nothing that the LDS church can compare. They just tell their members its better..lying Idiots!

Posted by: White Cliffs ( )
Date: September 21, 2014 11:00PM

Just as I always suspected. Not all women are into spanking, and those who are can get tired of it.

Posted by: dogzilla ( )
Date: September 22, 2014 10:56AM

There is a world of difference between some light spanking while in the throes of lovemaking vs. spanking as discipline.

Mostly the difference involves the power disparity.

In a sexual situation, the person being spanked gets to consent. If consent is withdrawn, spanking is supposed to STOP. Often, couples come up with a "safe word," which is just a code word that means STOP THIS NOW. The spanker must comply.

In the disciplinary situation, the person being spanked does not consent, nor is the chance to give consent offered. This is when spanking crosses the line from "fun" to "abuse."

CONSENT.

Posted by: themaster ( )
Date: September 21, 2014 11:15PM

How many mothers have spanked their children with a wooden spoon? Lots.

I was hoping this was a sex story instead of an abuse one. Darn.

Posted by: Mr. Happy ( )
Date: September 21, 2014 11:24PM

themaster Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> How many mothers have spanked their children with a wooden spoon? Lots.

I had a mother who used to beat on us kids with a wooden spoon. She even kept one in her purse for easy access when a beating was called for. And boy would she get pissed when every now and then a wooden spoon would break on my ass. Looking back, I wish I would have gotten her a new set of spoons every Christmas.

Posted by: onlinemoniker ( )
Date: September 22, 2014 05:35PM

That happened in our house, too. But my father was the one breaking the wooden spoon. My mother was smarter than that. She used the hairbrush.

Ah, good times!

Posted by: StillAnon ( )
Date: September 21, 2014 11:16PM

Dr. Phil has devolved into a white collar version of Jerry Springer.

Posted by: 4C ( )
Date: September 21, 2014 11:20PM

That was a very funny post, Susan! We don't get to read you often enough to know that you have a great wit!

Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: September 22, 2014 12:07AM

uppity woman?

you of all people.

no way.

:o)

Posted by: knotheadusc ( )
Date: September 22, 2014 05:49AM

Aw man. I can't watch this because I'm in Germany. Domestic discipline is a pet research topic of mine. ;)

Posted by: ThinkingOutLoud ( )
Date: September 22, 2014 11:56AM

Totally agree with the idea that the guy has urges he cannot admit to, and is trying to get them justified/covered under the old "Jesus loves me when I do this" banner.

Maybe he wouldn't have ended up in jail, if they'd lived in Germany, or Holland or Belgium, where sex, its discussion, its availability and its being seen as normal--even the fringe stuff--is much more commonplace and accepted. Magazines showing domestic discipline, BDSM and lots and lots of other stuff were in the open, viewable and available to all---in our neighborhood grocery store.

You can legally pay to watch it being done to someone else, or DIY in front of others. Prostitution and brothels are legal there and private, members-only BDSM clubs are popular and very open about their locations. It's pretty much all legal.

In Belgium, it's a bit different than in the other two: It is legal for a woman to sell herself/make money from any consensual sex act she wants to participate in, but it is illegal for others to pander the act to another, or to promote and manage the act, for their own profit.

In other words, Belgium is all about Yay, prostitutes! & Boo, pimps!

SO, they just figure ways around it, like no "official house of prostitution may operate here", but women selling themselves is fine, as long as no pimps/crime ring running things, enters into it.

Voila! Everybody's happy--and the HIV/AIDS rates are lower there, as are forcible rape, teenage and illegitimate birth rates, too. Divorce rates are about the same, though, I think.

Sounds like the wife was not consenting to his version of discipline, and she took matter into her own hands when he refused to stop. Good for her! He should have stopped, immediately, when she objected to it in those circumstances.

Now, if they were both into it, then we all just need to back up, and leave them alone to get to it.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: September 22, 2014 07:48AM

Posted by: The StalkerDog™ ( )
Date: September 22, 2014 03:39PM

Is the superior/inferior thing.
HE thinks he has the RIGHT to lay down the law and to spank her like she was a (abused)child if she disobeys or doesn't measure up, just because he has a ⱣƎŋ!$?

No, no, NO! I gots one a them too, but so what. God says so? Nutz to him too.

I used to get hit at the puppy mill. After I was rescued and came here, I never got hit again.

NO ONE should EVER be hit.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/22/2014 03:43PM by The StalkerDog™.

Posted by: The StalkerDog™ ( )
Date: September 22, 2014 06:05PM

My mom got hit over the head with a hairspray can about fifty years back for being a smart@$$... it left a scar on the right side of her head and the hair grew out red. Her hair was brown with this red stripe. Now it's gray but the hair around it is still brown.

I think spanking and hitting sux even if it does leave cool-looking scars and stripes forever.

Posted by: themaster ( )
Date: September 22, 2014 06:59PM

It is amazing how many Christians believe in spanking not only their children and their wives. Perhaps there needs to be a chapter of Perverts for Christ in every town.

TSCC could issue calling for couples to be the Official Pervert Family in the Ward. Spoons, whips and toys optional. Garments would be a must have.

Posted by: serena ( )
Date: September 22, 2014 07:15PM

Something seems a bit amiss. Of course there are a lot of crazy people out there and I generally try to avoid them, but... this is so weird - I'm watching this right now. I think I'll record it and watch it later. Can't stand the commercials.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/22/2014 07:17PM by serena.

Posted by: FreeRose ( )
Date: September 22, 2014 09:52PM

What an "A Hole". And wasn't it a "paddle", not a spoon?

Oh, Lordy, his elevator doesn't go to the top floor! And the video of him pinning his son to the couch on his back and beating his belly?? WT?? Definitely needs some serious counseling! He abuses everyone, probably the dog too.

Will be interesting to hear the wife's side of this tragedy, er... story on Tuesday.

Posted by: onlinemoniker ( )
Date: September 22, 2014 10:21PM

Ok, am I the only one who thinks this is so preposterous it's laughable?

No, I'm not incensed. No, I don't give a rat's ass if he spanks his wife. Apparently, she likes it.

I think they're both frickin' nuts and MEDIA HOUNDS!

And they have found the perfect forum. Self-righteous, Dr. Phil and his audience of gaping, bon-bon scarfing housewives with their chins on their chests.

Reminds me of the hot-sauce, nut-job mother and her Bosnian-adopted kid. Yeah, it's true. She shouldn't have hot-sauced her kid--and certainly not while screaming at him so shrilly.

I think the worse crime is that Dr. Phil is making money by the fistful putting this sh!t on TV.

Is it sweeps month or something?

Absolutely, Jerry Springer for the white-collar (actually, pink collar) crowd.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.