Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: shiningwaters ( )
Date: September 21, 2014 08:30PM

I liked it... but sometimes didn't like it. The FU God song bugged me because I still believe in a God.

I also think perhaps I am still a bit programmed because I had a hard time letting go and just enjoying it. I laughed, but I still kept wondering what friends I know who are Mormon would think of it.

I liked I believe and the Hello song.

How much of the I believe song is 100% what we believe? I assumed all of it was taught at some point. I also wonder how many of my Mormon friends would say what was being sung or said was "wrong" and they were making stuff up.

I also had a hard time with the having sex with a baby to cure AIDS thing. I should have lighted up...Gosh I was programmed

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: twistedsister ( )
Date: September 21, 2014 09:07PM

Maybe you still need a little time. Dh had been wanting to see the musical for months. We finally saw it last month, I didn't feel I was ready before then. I'm glad I waited. I don't think I would have enjoyed it.

The FU song bothered me, and I'm not sure I believe in god. I enjoyed I believe. Overall I thought it was funny. Sad in some parts, crude.

Posted by: amyslittlesister ( )
Date: September 21, 2014 09:30PM

You know this was the Southpark guys, right? You shouldn't have been surprised by any of the crudeness. All in all, though, the mishies are kinda the heroes. . .

Date: September 22, 2014 01:59PM

Like I said in the other thread, I'm very familiar with southpark having watched hours of it, but I was still surprised at the crudeness in the musical.

As far as I know, everything in the I Believe song was accurate as to what Mormons believe.

Posted by: Anziano Young ( )
Date: September 23, 2014 12:29AM

twistedsister Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> As far as I know, everything in the I Believe song
> was accurate as to what Mormons believe.

Not quite. The Book of Abraham states that Kolob is "near unto the throne of God," so they don't believe he actually lives there. The references in the song to Elder Price someday getting his own planet and Jesus having his own planet are inaccurate as well--official doctrinal statements are somewhat vague, but many use the phrase "eternal increase," which seems to imply more than one planet.

Date: September 23, 2014 08:09PM

Well yes, there were some nitpicking inaccuracies in the musical (JS putting the good plates IN the hat, as one example) but everything was generally accurate.

I had been taught that one day we could become like gods and could have our own planets and worlds. Maybe that's not in the official doctrine, but it's been widely taught.

Posted by: onlinemoniker ( )
Date: September 21, 2014 09:34PM

Yes, it's harsh and crude and disturbing. But it's also charming.

Just like life.

Posted by: closer2fine ( )
Date: September 21, 2014 11:52PM

shiningwaters.....

as in the lake of shining waters?

sorry, not to derail the thread.... I've not seen the musical yet.

Posted by: nonsequiter ( )
Date: September 22, 2014 12:03AM

I like "All American Prophet"

Posted by: darkshadow ( )
Date: September 22, 2014 02:11PM

I really liked it. It deserves the accolades that It has been awarded.

Just be warned it is some what crude with lots of swearing. The music and story were excellent.

If you like South Park style humor you will like this.

Posted by: androidandy ( )
Date: September 22, 2014 05:11PM

dh and I LOVED it.

It was an amazing experience to see on stage the church of my youth being displayed in all its nuttiness.

Great CD too.

Posted by: Slumbering Minstrel ( )
Date: September 22, 2014 06:13PM

DH and I loved it too!!
Maybe you would not have been surprised by the crudeness if you had seen any of the movies that Trey Parker and Matt Stone have made (Orgasmo, Cannible the musical, Baseketball). The movies are a little more crude than the show, but still very funny.

Posted by: Meri ( )
Date: September 22, 2014 10:59PM

Orgasmo was them guys? lol that was an awesome movie XD
Tried to get tbm bf to watch. told him what it was about. He said no *real* mormon would ever do such a thing. I'm like, but he was a hero! you have to see it :D

Posted by: Moritz ( )
Date: September 23, 2014 07:37PM

Fun Fact: I actually converted and joined the church due to my obsession with the Book of Mormon musical (I'm a huge Broadway fan.)

I knew the stuff in the musical wasn't all true, and it wasn't my intention to convert to begin with. I wanted a Book of Mormon for cosplay purposes, as my boyfriend likes to dress as Elder McKinley, I figured I'd dress as Elder Price. I met with the missionaries a few times and felt pressured when they stated a baptism date, but some part of me stuck with it. So now I'm officially Mormon, but a very bad one, as I break most of the rules. Outwardly I look good though (clean language and modest dress, church every Sunday, mutuals every Wednesday, seminary every morning, even family night every Monday with one of the Sisters). I still adore the Book of Mormon and sometimes I make references when the Elders are over for home sessions (I'm pretty sure they're trying to get my little sister now, oh no).

Hasa Diga Eebowai (the 'Fuck You, God' song) is pretty offensive as I too believe in God despite all this, but I mean, come on. Like others have said, it was created by the people who made South Park. I expected it to be crude.

Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: September 23, 2014 08:58PM

You have people who can't get a break singing the Fuck You God song. The worst poverty and illness, women getting raped,babies hungry and evil warlords everywhere. What the hell else are they going to sing? Thank you god for finding Cindy Nelson's keys so she could get to her Sunday School class in Draper?

You really want them to thank your god for the hell they live in? And the joke is they have the missionaries unknowingly singing it too. It was one of the funniest things I have ever seen. It was raw honesty. Those people had nothing left to lose.

I loved the musical. I alternated chills, tears, and laughter all the way through. I remembered my mission, my life, and I was thrilled to see the Mormon church as entertainment with no reverence whatsoever. What I saw was actually very innocent and dear wrapped up in a lot of hilarity.

And I hope your God can take care of himself. Why do Christians always think they need to have his back?

Posted by: Tahoe Girl ( )
Date: September 23, 2014 10:06PM

+1

These are my thoughts exactly. Mormonism, along with all other religions, has nothing whatsoever to offer those people. They live with daily horrors we can hardly imagine.

I loved, loved, loved the show! Would love to see it again.

TG

Posted by: MJ ( )
Date: September 23, 2014 10:12PM

Not only does "god" not offer them anything, but if there is a controlling god, they have every right to think god is an evil god.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.