Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: October 27, 2013 07:45AM

I have to disagree. Those who think it's a joke or a pleasant reference might also think "non-worthy," "non-recommend holder," "non-Mormon," "unbaptized," "non-attendee," "part member family," "non-tithe payer," "still unmarried," "childless," are not considered to be insulting.

These words are certainly not complimentary or accepting. They are divisive and judgmental.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: October 27, 2013 10:46AM

OK, nobody said "non-worthy", etc, were not considered insulting. This is a straw man argument.

"Those who think [gentile is] a joke or a pleasant reference might also think..." is also a straw man argument. There is no evidence presented that anybody equates the emotional meaning of the term gentile to the list of judgmental terms presented.

In my own experience, Mormons are well aware that "gentile" is an expropriated bit of Jewish jargon, and there is a bit of irony and self mocking, or perhaps self-importance in their use of the term, as in "we fancy ourselves God's chosen people, even though we know Jews have first dibs on that claim". It is not an "LOL" joke, but it is a small-smile joke.

It also seems to have fallen out of style. I don't hear the term used as much as I did back in the 1950s.

Tempest in a teapot, and a second-rate tempest at that. Gentile is pretty far down on the list of denigrating terms in the Mormon lexicon, IMHO.

Asking an exmo if they have lost their testimony because they are "a covenant breaker", and are therefore unworthy of the "confirmation of the Spirit", THAT's an insult.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: October 27, 2013 10:54AM

Straw man?

I didn't say what you're claiming.

I asked a question for discussion and *you* make claims that aren't there.

"Tempest" is something you're suggesting, not me.

Sorry, but I see your personal tempest as second rate.

Posted by: Cinnamint ( )
Date: October 27, 2013 12:55PM

Meh. Those phrases seem pretty benign.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.