Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: October 27, 2013 01:20PM

I clean my Spam Folder of obnoxious email daily.

This time I found an email from a business account (credit card) from someone (personal name) out of byu.edu and decided to follow it through.

Big red notice: possible phishing! No surprise there!

They are trying to get your personal password and log in info into your personal credit card accounts.

Not nice! BYU? You need to do some house cleaning!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: squeebee ( )
Date: October 27, 2013 01:26PM

It is so easy to spoof a source domain that I wouldn't jump to the conclusion that it actually came from BYU. Anyone trying to phish who got their hands on a list of people in the Mormon demographic would be on the right track to spoof it as coming from BYU since that domain encourages trust in most Mormons.

Date: October 27, 2013 01:30PM

squeebee Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

Oh... yes. I know that it is all just nonsense-not legit. I thought it was interesting they tried to get my attention by using byu.edu though!

Posted by: squeebee ( )
Date: October 27, 2013 01:34PM

It's referred to as Spear Phishing, the idea being that instead of taking a massive list of people and trying to phish them all with a generic message, the attacker instead takes a targeted segment of people, identifies what will resonate with them, and sends a more targeted message.

When attacking a specific company they will really do their research, and have the message appear from someone in the company with relevant terms and messages.

Date: October 27, 2013 01:39PM

Oh yes. They are GOOD! But I'm better! :-) They don't fool me.
This was the first time they used byu.edu that I know of to try to get me to use their site. But it was blocked by my server!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.