Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: justbnme ( )
Date: October 26, 2013 02:31AM

I travel extensively for work. Due to my airline status, I am generally upgraded to first class for most flights. 5-10% of the time, I am seated in my regularly assigned seat. Such was the case flying back from Portland to SLC this week.

Who comes and occupies the middle seat right next to me??? A young man, culminating 36 hours of travel home to Twin Falls, Idaho from Manilla.

Before I put my ear buds in and tune out Elder Dipshit and the rest of the world....we converse for a few minutes.

This kid isn't even released yet and he tells me his next goal is to return to Utah State, finish his degree in Biology, get accepted to Medical School and get married.

I asked him if his girlfriend knew of his plans.

"I don't have a girl friend....I just know that is the next step for me in my life, and god will provide me with a wife".

I felt ill on so many levels.

Thankfully, the plane was at 10,000 ft; I put in my ear buds and checked out.

Made me sick.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: mindog ( )
Date: October 26, 2013 02:35AM

It's a SIGN!!!

Posted by: upsidedown ( )
Date: October 26, 2013 02:41AM

Maybe he will be provided with someone similar to himself and they can be eternally deluded in their blessings.

Posted by: Xq ( )
Date: October 26, 2013 03:41AM

Provide a wife indeed, like buying one at the store. They're not people or individuals, just phases in your life.
Broken, broken outlook.

Posted by: abinadiburns nli ( )
Date: October 26, 2013 04:28AM

Ten cow payment for wife. More if she can coook.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: October 26, 2013 07:53AM

It's that part about getting married with no one in mind that was strange and should have been kept private.

Young girls at slumber parties like to giggle about such ideas, but adult men with strangers need more restraint.

Posted by: volrammos ( )
Date: October 26, 2013 08:19AM

Was on a date (web-dating) with a "gentile" woman once and I said something almost like the boy: "I don't have a girl friend....I just know that is the next step for me in my life, and god will provide me with a wife".

Came home, Went online, checked my inbox to see what she thought about me.

All I got was this.

"What is wrong with you??"

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/26/2013 08:20AM by volrammos.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: October 26, 2013 04:14PM

Posted by: Pixie Dust ( )
Date: October 26, 2013 09:58PM

LOL X2

Posted by: jujubee ( )
Date: October 26, 2013 03:06PM

Provide him with a wife?? Not that easy, buddy. Make sure you have someone dry your tears when you're 40 and still single.

Posted by: closer2fine ( )
Date: October 26, 2013 03:49PM

Yup... reminds me of my cousin who has obsessed about marriage since his mission. Every family function he would corner some recently married cousin and go on and on about marriage, and what kind of girl his future wife would be. I overheard him asking how to handle it if his wife puts on an extra 10 lbs... "should I confront her about it? Or just suggest that we start jogging together?" I was just a kid but I still thought he was retarded for obsessing over whether or not his future wife would get fat...... now he is almost 50, never married, and a total fatty.

Posted by: hausfrau ( )
Date: October 26, 2013 10:49PM

Sad. I have an uncle like that. Waaaay too picky with the women. Now his boat has sailed...

Posted by: nickname ( )
Date: October 26, 2013 03:16PM

I've met several missionaries, or recently returned missionaries, who seemed to kind of think God OWED them a wife. Like a woman was PAYMENT for their two years of work!

Not unlike the Bible's view of women, really...

Posted by: Devils Spawn ( )
Date: October 26, 2013 03:56PM

Thank you for not tossing him out of the plane at 10,000 ft. - he still has much of my Father's work to do, dontcha know...

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: October 26, 2013 03:58PM

Maybe he'll be exposed to info in his science classes that will rattle the chains loose. Maybe.

He'll probably go to FHE and find a girl who would love to put him through dental school.

Date: October 26, 2013 10:47PM

Probably the latter...

Posted by: Lostmypassword ( )
Date: October 26, 2013 04:17PM

Is your irl name Mick Jagger?

Posted by: Surrender Dorothy ( )
Date: October 26, 2013 04:52PM

LOL

Nice Mormon-on-an-airplane-lectures-Jagger reference.

Posted by: Quoth the Raven Nevermo ( )
Date: October 26, 2013 04:34PM

How....insufferable. Yeah, the good lard pays back the mishes with perfect brides. Brides who know their place and who conform to his every whim. Who never gain weight or get stretch marks for pooping out kids.

My goddaughter's friend met up with a guy who was coming home from his mission. They were sitting next to each other on a plane. She is non-mo (as is my god-d).

The ex-mish and the girl exchanged contact info. Apparently he was good looking. After a short time of on-line or phone contact he was pressuring her to date him. She said she was not interested. His response? "But I am a returned missionary!"

Yeah, that and a dollar will get you something on the McD's dollar menu (but don't forget the tax).

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: October 26, 2013 08:12PM

Peerhaps the poor guy is a truly blind believer and pity is in order.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: October 26, 2013 09:32PM

I'm having a vision: He will be married soon and will sell used cars.

Posted by: secular ( )
Date: October 26, 2013 10:36PM

I faintly remember on my mission that there was a saying going around to the effect: The harder you work the hotter your wife will be.

Date: October 26, 2013 10:46PM

He sounds like an ambitious RM. I'm sure he'll find someone at USU. Mormon girls love the doctors-to-be! I've disclosed too much on plane rides before, mostly to women.

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: October 26, 2013 10:50PM

Yeah, I know a couple of LDS guys who were looking for the perfect Mormon woman and ended up never marrying.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: October 26, 2013 10:53PM

you should have told the missionary that you are Mick Jagger.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: October 26, 2013 11:06PM

a sign from God--a very distinct and earth-moving sign--before they would get married. I had one that I "hung around" with (dating, are you kidding me)--who told me that he was fairly serious about one girl and then he saw that her older sister had gained some weight with a pregnancy and not lost it all, so he dumped her.

He got married in his 40s--BALD as he could be. He met her on line. I even kept the wedding announcement on my refrig so I could laugh at it now and then.

Another guy I "hung out" with--he got married in his 50s to a woman with 6 children. He has never been happy.

I bought that bullshit, too, though. I thought God was going to provide . . . gave up many good opportunities to marry nonmembers. Imagine my surprise when the guy God provided me with was gay.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/26/2013 11:07PM by cl2.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.