Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: peiriannydd ( )
Date: September 19, 2014 02:09PM

So I never realized until yesterday that the whole "City of Enoch taken up to heaven" is uniquely mormon. Genesis mentions two Enochs: one, a son of Cain, who Cain named a city after (Gen 4:17); the second, a decendent of Seth, was "taken by God" (Gen 5:24). Did Joseph Smith conflate the two when he wrote the Book of Moses? Has anyone ever researched this?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: praydude ( )
Date: September 19, 2014 03:56PM

For me, The tough part about researching topics like this is that I don't care anymore about the doctrinal issues that arise - and there are many. The further I get from mormonism the more I realize that I don't care anymore about all of the loopholes in the doctrine.

I was talking about church history to a non-mo friend of mine and it struck me that only mormons care about such things. Non mormons think it is all just a bunch of people from a 19th-century trailer park who went crazy.

Posted by: amyslittlesister ( )
Date: September 19, 2014 05:57PM

"19th century trailer park" is now a permanent part of my lexicon. Thank you, endlessly.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: September 19, 2014 06:15PM

Ditto. Thank you. And for me it's become like, "Hey, all I ordered was a cheeseburger."

Posted by: Heresy ( )
Date: September 19, 2014 04:28PM

Enoch looms large in Masonry. What a coincidence.

http://exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,15627,15627

Posted by: Book of Mordor ( )
Date: September 19, 2014 04:32PM

JS was said to have taught that the city of Enoch was suspended in mid-air above the Tower of Babel. Priestly anti-gravity I suppose.

Posted by: exdrymo ( )
Date: September 20, 2014 12:13PM

...or perhaps upsidaisium ;-)

Posted by: RPackham ( )
Date: September 19, 2014 05:21PM

People In Space, by John Heinerman, Ph. D. mentions the City of Enoch, that was taken up bodily.

That's the planet VENUS! Joseph Smith said (according to his plural wife Eliza R. Snow, as reported in Charles Lowell Walker's diary report about a conversation he had with her in 1881) that the earth was ninety times smaller now than it was when created. So, it MUST BE that part of it was taken away - when Enoch's city was taken? - of course! - and became the planet Venus.

For more about the amazing scientific revelations that Mormonism has, see my review of his book: http://packham.n4m.org/moonmen.htm

Posted by: Facsimile 3 ( )
Date: September 19, 2014 05:53PM

Wilford Woodruff’s Journal,
30 March 1873.

(Altar of Adam at Adam-ondi-Ahman)
Again President Young said Joseph the Prophet told me that the garden of Eden was in Jackson Co., Missouri, & when Adam was driven out of the garden of Eden He went about 40 miles to the Place which we Named Adam Ondi Ahman, & there built an Altar of Stone & offered Sacrifice. That Altar remains to this day. I saw it as Adam left it as did many others, & through all the evolutions of the world that Altar has not been disturbed. Joseph also said that when the City of Enoch fled & was translated it was whare the gulf of Mexico now is. It left that gulf a body of water.

http://emp.byui.edu/marrottr/Zion-Enoch-Gulf%20of%20Mex.pdf

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/19/2014 05:53PM by Facsimile 3.

Date: September 19, 2014 05:54PM

I am beginning to think that Joseph Smith was a prolific story teller. :-)

Posted by: Zeniff ( )
Date: September 20, 2014 10:57AM

Ya think?

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: September 19, 2014 06:16PM

Yeah, and it endured the Great Flood, and the farmer's plough, and rains and torrents and glaciers. God, what dorks we all were to believe such bullshit.

Date: September 19, 2014 07:08PM

...and the HUGE cataclysm that reshaped the continent at the time of the Savior's death.

Total dorks! I am embarrassed. :-)

Date: September 20, 2014 10:59AM

But now, it's recovering ex-dorks. Some people are raised in Dorkism, so there's a little excuse for awhile. Converts to Dorkism, I can't figure. Mentally ill or gullible, I suppose.

Posted by: anymoo ( )
Date: September 20, 2014 05:30PM

Neither.

Firstly, the mishies don't tell you any of that stuff. And if you bring up stuff that they aren't discussing, they're thoroughly confused.

Secondly, some of us do it anyway for ... love, I guess. There's probably other reasons to purposely drink the kool-aid.

Date: September 20, 2014 09:20PM

Okay, maybe not mentally ill or gullible. But, the fact is, even before the internet, it was completely possible to do a sort of "Consumer Reports" on Mormonism. And "For love," falls in the "gullible" category, and willfully so, in my book.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: September 19, 2014 11:17PM

What is it with the sacrifices all the time ?

Is the mormon god so bloodthirsty that he is constantly requiring sacrifices ?

Date: September 20, 2014 11:00AM

Apparently.

Posted by: dimmesdale ( )
Date: September 19, 2014 06:03PM

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: September 19, 2014 11:21PM

http://www.nowscape.com/mormon/images/John_Heinerman_2007.jpg

Dr. Heinerman wrote about Mormon Aliens. He has written many books about fruit juices. Dr. Heinerman is a BYU graduate.

Readers interested in the Mormon inhabitants of the moon, should see "People In Space" by John Heinerman, Ph.D., published by Cassandra Press,
PO Box 868, San Rafael, CA, 94915,1990.
ISBN 0-9459946-08-02, 138 pp.

http://www.nowscape.com/mormon/mormons5.htm

Posted by: Bradley ( )
Date: September 20, 2014 06:56PM

No, he plagiarized that too. Look up "lost city of Atlantis".

Posted by: MyTempleNameIsJoan ( )
Date: September 21, 2014 12:22PM

JS was a prolific researcher.
Maybe he read the Book of Enoch and embellished.
He was afterall the King of embellishment.

Posted by: Glo ( )
Date: September 21, 2014 03:05PM

The problem with reading Enoch is the same as with the Book of Mormon - he really does not say ANYTHING of value.

So Enoch claimed a bunch of supernatural experiences but after reading through the tale you ask yourself wtf is this supposed do for my life.

Religious gobbledygook, nothing else.

Posted by: WillieBoy ( )
Date: September 21, 2014 03:28PM

City of Enoch, UTAH - got really negative publicity in the past because they ran vehicle exhaust into enclosed cages to kill stray dogs and cats.

The new Stake Center, built with the help of a lot of donations from faithful members who could hardly afford it(and some mortgaged their own homes and borrowed money to give to the effort) got at least $10,000 worth of interior decorating in the Stake Presidents office. When one Bishop(Bishop Bybee) called him on it - that Bishop was released without a word and the new one was told not to call him to anything at all - not to speak with him.

Enoch, Utah is a cesspool of mormon insanity.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.