Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: saviorself ( )
Date: September 22, 2013 09:52AM

Just wondering if Mormons believe that God has an interest in the outcome of BYU football games? If yes, how do they reconcile a BYU loss, especially to the heathen U of U team?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: nonmo_1 ( )
Date: September 22, 2013 10:12AM

God has as much interest in BYU winning as He does helping TBMs finding their car keys..

Posted by: birthgoddess ( )
Date: September 22, 2013 10:24AM

OMG! My "friend" posted on my Ute fan SIL's FB: " Win or lose, BYU will always be better than UTAH! GO COUGARS! STILL #1!"
Then, after they had lost: "BYU WILL ALWAYS OUT SHINE UTAH! So glad I am a cougar fan."

This is the same "friend" who has tried to call me to repentance more than once.

Is BYU football a religion in and of itself now?

Posted by: nonmo_1 ( )
Date: September 22, 2013 10:28AM

You can argue that NCAA football is a religion of itself..

Posted by: librarykim2 ( )
Date: September 22, 2013 01:18PM

Yep, especially in the South. ;)

Posted by: Zelphster ( )
Date: September 22, 2013 06:41PM

Finally, a religion I can enjoy.

Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: September 22, 2013 10:32AM

My bet is that they pray for the game because they pray over e v e r y t h i n g and they pray c o n t i n u a l l y.

OMG, did your sister dye her hair purple AGAIN? Well, we must pray that she stops this heathen practice because it comes straight from Satan Him/Her-Self!

Did the dog dig up the garden again? Well, let's add t h a t to our morning prayer list.

And on and on and on and on it goes.

And I say this with all my apostate heart, in the name of whoever or whatever.

Amen and Amen.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/22/2013 10:34AM by presleynfactsrock.

Posted by: icedtea ( )
Date: September 22, 2013 10:41AM

Yes, they do! The BYU football team needs all the help it can get.

Posted by: Mnemonic ( )
Date: September 22, 2013 10:44AM

They certainly don't pray to lose.

But, seriously, some Mormons pray about EVERYTHING. Obviously, as with everything, there is a spectrum of behavior. Some people only pray when forced to by others while others stop every 10 seconds to pray. I tended to be the former. If I prayed once a day I felt it was plenty.

Posted by: anon90 ( )
Date: September 22, 2013 11:55AM

BYU's "Go fast, go hard" offense is a joke. They go 3 and out in about 10 seconds so their defense has no time to rest. Go fast go hard is what I do to my wife at night, but it's not a good offensive scheme for BYU.

Posted by: HangarXVIII ( )
Date: September 22, 2013 12:02PM

During the last few minutes of the 4th quarter last night, the camera briefly focused on a female BYU fan in the audience who was visibly praying. So yes, they do pray for Jesus's team. It must be frustrating knowing God has ignored their prayers for the last 3 years!!

Posted by: David Jason ( )
Date: September 22, 2013 01:16PM

Everyone prays for their team to win. This is a pretty universal practice. Just alike all the other silly superstitions sports fans have. Not just a Mormon thing.

Posted by: cheezus ( )
Date: September 22, 2013 02:25PM

I always think of it as a contest to determine which team is masturbating least.

Posted by: StoneInHat ( )
Date: September 22, 2013 02:41PM

After BYU won the national championship in 1984 I thought it was divine intervention to bring attention to TSCC. I used to be confused when they would lose games that they should have won. I would think that the church must not being paying a full tithe or there was some sin that God needed us to repent of as a church body. I honest to God thought this crap!

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: September 22, 2013 07:27PM

Growing up we were taught to pray we would do our best and that no one would get hurt. We never prayed to win.

But times change. Maybe BYU has a special dispensation.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.