Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Riverman ( )
Date: September 16, 2014 05:38PM

I thought it was Kirby, but he is still active. At least according to a recent interview I read.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: wastedtime ( )
Date: September 16, 2014 05:41PM

Will Swenson
Edit: There are lots of mormon actors/entertainers that had some exposure to the church but didn't continue in it. Since the OP said "Mormon Movies" I'm guessing he means movies aimed at a mormon audience. Christina Aquilera's is another (her parents met at BY-Zoo). Recently deceased Paul Walker is another. Heavenly Mary Elizabeth Winstead lived in Sandy, Utah growing up, but was never Mormon.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/16/2014 06:09PM by wastedtime.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: September 16, 2014 05:47PM

Kevin Rahm? Aaron Eckhart? Both RMs, both actors, both left the church.

Posted by: Riverman ( )
Date: September 16, 2014 06:05PM

I was thinking about Will Swenson.

I was having a discussion with my TBM wife last night. Kirby was on a commercial. She thought he had been exed. She was getting her actors confused.

Thanks

Date: September 16, 2014 06:10PM

Will always seemed too bright and with it to take the moron religion seriously.

Posted by: thewhyalumnus ( )
Date: September 16, 2014 06:01PM

Not sure, but, there are 15 actors who currently lead it!

Posted by: ferdchet ( )
Date: September 16, 2014 06:38PM

You win!

Posted by: pseudonymous ( )
Date: September 17, 2014 08:59AM

LOL!

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: September 22, 2014 08:14PM

Posted by: Book of Mordor ( )
Date: September 16, 2014 06:01PM

Is Laraine Day eligible?

Posted by: RPackham ( )
Date: September 16, 2014 06:05PM

Richard Dutcher, actor, writer and producer of Mormon films.

Date: September 16, 2014 06:11PM

Richard has a bit part in "Singles Ward" which Will plays the lead in.

Posted by: anonymousgirly ( )
Date: September 16, 2014 06:42PM

Kirby wasn't exed to my knowledge, but caught A LOT of flak for appearing in a beer commercial.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: September 16, 2014 06:58PM

Kirby like to poke the bear.

Ron Burr

Posted by: ferdchet ( )
Date: September 18, 2014 01:04AM

Yeah I figure if they hassle him, Kirby should tell TSCC that if they can sell alcohol in the City Creek Center, then he can hawk crappy beer on TV. ;-)

Posted by: dogeatdog ( )
Date: September 16, 2014 07:29PM

Juliann Hough is a 'movie' actress whose family was mormon. Don't know if she 'left', but it appears so by what she wears. A lot of people on dancing with the stars and so you thing you can dance grew up mormon and appear to have left the church behind, although they have not made official statements as far as I know, other than perhaps Benji Schwimmer (and maybe his sister lacey).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/16/2014 07:30PM by dogeatdog.

Posted by: Phazer ( )
Date: September 17, 2014 10:07AM

I don't know of her status but I figure she probably isn't married. Therfore, TBMs figure, well it's ok that she doesn't cover up. She hasn't taken the endowment ordinance yet.

Date: September 17, 2014 10:15AM

Her ex-boyfriend was Ryan Seacrest. I figure he is an ex because if Julieann is a TBM well there weren't many cookies to be given. However, being on RFM it wouldn't surprise me if they were sexually active as many others shared stories of having sex with super tbms.

Posted by: Chump ( )
Date: September 17, 2014 12:45PM

I don't believe the Hough's are active. TBM's would be talking about them all the time if they were active members. I believe they were raised in Sandy, but were inactive before they were grown...didn't go through the youth program, etc...

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: September 18, 2014 01:28AM

Right, neither Julianne nor Derek are active. Derek was leading a non-Mormon lifestyle before Julianne was. Julianne was scheduled to be temple married in August of 2007 when she started her stint on DWTS that spring. She was rather young at the time, perhaps 19. She cancelled her engagement with her RM fiancé during the course of that season. As the year wore on, her lifestyle became increasingly less Mormon. The ex hung around until late summer and then gave up.

Her ex-fiancé, Zack Wilson, went on to marry another DWTS alum, Afton Delgrosso. They were temple married and are living a TBM lifestyle.

Posted by: memikeyounot ( )
Date: September 16, 2014 09:55PM

Plus, Will Swenson is married to Audra McDonald, Broadway Diva and not bad looking.
He's currently getting ready to open in a musical version of the old movie "Bull Durham.
Somehow, I don't suppose he misses the church.

Posted by: somnambulist ( )
Date: September 17, 2014 06:18AM

'not bad looking'???? You ever seen her? Audra McDonald is gorgeous. gorgeously black, too. Swenson will burn in hell! BY will get him for this!

Posted by: wanderinggeek ( )
Date: September 17, 2014 08:56AM

Fun fact.... Will's first wife was Amy Westerby. You may know here from On The Way Home, and SOOOOO many seminary video's. She was always the girl who was inviting her friend to come to church.

Date: September 17, 2014 09:01AM

So I was doing a search to see former Mormons who have left the faith...and I found one I had never heard before...

Ryan Gosling

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ryan_Gosling

First found it in this list:
http://www.wetpaint.com/news/gallery/who-knew-10-celebrities-who-are-former-mormons-photos#2

Date: September 22, 2014 08:06PM

I'm sure church would love for all of these actors to return. TSCC misses their tithing. There wouldn't be much from Katherine heigl though because she sucks.

Posted by: mav ( )
Date: September 22, 2014 08:13PM

Posted by: Platypus ( )
Date: September 22, 2014 08:19PM

I loved it when he said in an interview that he was never Mormon. That his parents were, but he never was. I know exact what he's talking about.

Posted by: Finance Clerk ( )
Date: September 16, 2014 11:40PM

Posted by: deco ( )
Date: September 17, 2014 08:41AM

Though he is unfortunately dead, I would have loved to have seen Gordon Jump as a villain in a Quentin Tarantino film.

Posted by: newnameabigail ( )
Date: September 17, 2014 09:24AM

He is doing a good job on the evil side. Not as good as Michael Ballam but pretty good.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: September 17, 2014 10:10AM

and noticed the star on Ellen the other day talking about her marriage, so I looked her up. She was raised Mormon and went to BYU. I can't remember her name. That was a real shocker. She is married to the guy who was Ferris Bueller's best friend in that movie, so doesn't sound like she is still active Mormon.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/17/2014 10:10AM by cl2.

Date: September 17, 2014 10:16AM

Mireille Enos

Posted by: deco ( )
Date: September 17, 2014 11:38AM

One must wonder if the per centage of the general membership has left LDS Inc as much as the list of actors.

I am sure TBMs would blame it on the theater craft and circles those people run in. However, it might be far more representative of the general state of mormonism. The "doubt your doubts" marketing angle did not happen in a vacuum.

One might say it is just a few folks caught up in the hollywood lifestyle, however, when compared to entire families leaving, it might even be on the low number.

One might also add that these people are both high profile and big earners. This must be another nightmare for LDS Inc PR department.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.