Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Mnemonic ( )
Date: October 13, 2010 03:35PM

NOT!!!

The church's welfare program is so successful my wife's friend's family had to go to Catholic relief services for food because their bishop refused to help, even though they had been paying tithing, and had absolutely no food in the house.

The church's homosexual recovery program was so successful it left people still homosexual and emotionally, if not physically, scarred for life. (Not that there's anything wrong with being homosexual)

Can you think of any other church programs that were abandoned because of their failure?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Steven ( )
Date: October 13, 2010 03:46PM

as in I "wonder" why it never worked. What a racially bigoted program that was.

Posted by: Peter ( )
Date: October 14, 2010 01:50AM

Steven Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> as in I "wonder" why it never worked. What a
> racially bigoted program that was.

My parents did the LPP thingie. They called the Navajo Indian boy that stayed with us "Our little Lamanite", as if he were some kind of cute pet.

Posted by: Peter ( )
Date: October 14, 2010 01:52AM

I just realized how F&*^%$# RIDICULOUS it sounds now. WTF is wrong with these people? I am totally serious too, I mean, you can't make this up.

Posted by: schweizerkind ( )
Date: October 13, 2010 03:47PM

The cotton mission, the iron mission, the sugar beet fiasco, the handcart companies. More recently, how many supposedly sure-fire missionary conversion programs have been tried and dropped?

Inspiration-aint-it-grand-ly yrs,

S

Posted by: toppity ( )
Date: October 14, 2010 05:57PM

Posted by: Mo larkey ( )
Date: October 13, 2010 05:20PM

Pull a indian kid out of his family unit and bring him to happy valley with all the white and delightsome people and bathe him in Moism.

What happened to that revelation?

If it worked so well why isn't it still going ..
probably the same reason you don't see alot of blacks adopting white kids.. in fact does that ever happen?
kind of blind side movie in reveres?

Posted by: helemon ( )
Date: October 14, 2010 01:35AM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indian_Placement_Program
"Supporters believed that exposure to white culture was beneficial to Native American children, and that it improved educational and economic opportunities, while critics believed the program undermined the children's Native American identity. These supporters failed to consider the educational and social issues that surrounded the beginning of the program. Another factor such people ignored is that Native American identity has deep religious implications, and in some ways rejection of Native American identity is similar to rejection of Jewish identity. "

Posted by: Mnemonic ( )
Date: October 14, 2010 02:42AM

I heard that children who have been through the Indian Placement Program are called APPLES by the native Navajo ... that is red on the outside and white on the inside.

I knew a girl in high school who was in the program, although I didn't know it at the time. I wish I knew what happened with her after high school. I often wonder about her.

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: October 14, 2010 12:37AM

the members are in charge. For example, often the members will do good works on their own and then, because they are Mormons, the church will take credit for it. The church contributes little or no money, and no church supported labor - maybe just a little direction as to who to send stuff too and where. And then advertises the crap out of the fact the church sent it, banking any good will from it. But it isn't from the church. The members do almost all on their own.

Posted by: JoD3:360 ( )
Date: October 14, 2010 07:54AM

Reporter:
Ah yes, the missionary programs. The Lords work in these latter daze. The envy of the prosletizing world! Evidence that this is the One True. Tell us gentlemen, what is the secret to your timetested and inspired success?

Church:
Well, the Lord inspired us to make friends with people that we wanted to recruit. Get to know them, find out their interests and learn something about it for conversations sake, and worm our way into their trust.

Then He realized that people saw that they were being manipulated with phony relationships so He gave us the "new Paradigm" (also a popular business buzzword of that day) where we were supposed to instruct the membership to capitolize on existing friendships.

Also, door-to-door sales techniques! Why it worked great in the 60's, just stand in line behind the Vacuum,spice, brush, and insurance salesmen.

Oops, that doesn't work at all it turns out. So now, it is up to the members to give referrals to the missionaries, and by hounding the membership with the member/missionary mantra, that should work if they are faithful.

Rats! That isn't working either so let's start online prosthetizing.

Reporter:
Wow! That is amazing! I wonder how long it will be before the other churches who are having [measurable] phenomenal growth try to steal your secret?

Church:
Well, this is the Lords work and he directs it. If he wanted those churches to grow, he would have inspired them...

(gosh JoD, that's awfully sarcastic, dontcha think?)

commentator:
JoD is feeling bitter because he was the Ward Mission Leader for a while and saw firsthand how leadership had no clue bag to draw from.

Posted by: Way Out ( )
Date: October 14, 2010 08:02PM

I always DREADED the possibility of being called to a ward or stake missionary position before I up and outed.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.