Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: August 05, 2013 02:34PM

thanks to cellphones, why aren't we getting a deluge of photos of:
Bigfoot
Nessie
Demons
Aliens
Angels
Visits from the dead?

And if spirits can't be photographed, why not? Eyeballs and cameras work on the same basic principles - light is focused through a lens onto a layer of chemical receptors. Neither cameras nor eyes are magical.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: StoneInHat ( )
Date: August 05, 2013 02:35PM

I'd like to see a photograph of Cain, The 3 Nephites, and John The Beloved.

Posted by: StoneInHat ( )
Date: August 05, 2013 02:36PM

Oh, and the Gold Plates. Yeah, I want to see those too. Not with my "spiritual eyes" either.

Posted by: kolobian ( )
Date: August 05, 2013 02:50PM

They're totally on display at the mormon battalion in old town, san diego..

Posted by: msp ( )
Date: August 05, 2013 11:34PM

So, physical eyes? Got it.
Though..can I take the pic with the "spiritual filter" app from the app store (only 10% of your income, plus all your time and talents!)

Posted by: msp ( )
Date: August 05, 2013 11:37PM

I don't know about everyone else, but I'm gonna take baby steps. How about some logic in this "Mormon doctrine" first?

Posted by: Johnny Canuck ( )
Date: August 05, 2013 02:46PM

Elvis too.

Posted by: Albinolamanite ( )
Date: August 05, 2013 02:54PM

Imagine the stir that would be created when someone got an iphone picture of jesus looking less like brad pitt and more like cheech marin.

Posted by: imaworkinonit ( )
Date: August 05, 2013 03:19PM

You'd think the QUALITY of those photos will improve, with all those iPhones, right?

Posted by: HangarXVIII ( )
Date: August 06, 2013 12:22AM

So with all these cameras, how long will it be until someone posts the new temple movie?

Posted by: deco ( )
Date: August 06, 2013 12:25AM

I would love to see a pic of a leprechaun. Perhaps a trap could be set with some Lucky Charms

Posted by: Lenina ( )
Date: August 06, 2013 09:25AM

Well there have been a lot more UFO videos, but still no aliens, bigfoot, Loch Ness Monster, demons, angels, visits from the dead, ghosts, spirits.

Actually I recall one compelling angel/spirit photo. I'm a skeptic, but I'm convinced this one is genuine.

Google "Man says son is the angel spotted in picture."

Posted by: Albinolamanite ( )
Date: August 06, 2013 12:47PM

I hope you're joking when you say that picture is genuine and convinces you that there's an angel present.

Posted by: rt ( )
Date: August 06, 2013 09:33AM

Instead, we get all these pictures of dinner plates...

Posted by: Senoritalamanita ( )
Date: August 06, 2013 09:37AM

But then again you have the ubiquitous photos of Jesus in a tortilla, lol.

http://whyevolutionistrue.wordpress.com/2012/03/07/proof-that-jesus-was-male/jesus-on-tortilla/

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/06/2013 10:09AM by Senoritalamanita.

Posted by: NeverMo in CA ( )
Date: August 06, 2013 10:40AM

Senoritalamanita Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> But then again you have the ubiquitous photos of
> Jesus in a tortilla, lol.
>
> http://whyevolutionistrue.wordpress.com/2012/03/07
> /proof-that-jesus-was-male/jesus-on-tortilla/

You just reminded me of one of my favorite "Simpsons" lines: Homer is having a discussion with God. God wraps up the conversation by saying, "Now if you'll excuse me, I have to appear on a tortilla in Mexico."

Posted by: scarecrowfromoz ( )
Date: August 06, 2013 09:52AM

It's all very simple. You know how some people use radar detectors to thwart cops looking for speeders?

Bigfoot, Cain, Nessie, etc. all have their own built-in phone detector because they are very sensitive to electronic equipment. Just like dogs can hear ranges that people can't, and some hurt their ears, the signals given off by cellphones hurt the ears of Bigfoot, etc. They run from anyone with a cellphone long before the person would have a chance to see them.

Using Mormon apologetic logic, the fact that we aren't getting pictures proves the existence of Bigfoot, etc., and proves that the reason we aren't seeing pictures is because the emissions from cell phones hurt their ears and they run and hide.

Posted by: upsidedown ( )
Date: August 06, 2013 10:54AM

I have a batshit crazy side of my family (southern Utah) that has had multiple encounters with the 3 Nephites over the last century. The kids hear the stories growing up and want to have their own story to tell at the family group therapy get togethers to discuss bigfoot, aliens and the 3 Nephites. It is like a testimony meeting that should be attended in a robe and slippers to get the whole One Flew Over The Coo-coo's nest effect.

They are not changing the crack-pot meeting format from "testimony of close encounters" to "Picture sharing time" anytime soon. Last I checked with this group at the reunion around the late night campfire, the stories grow taller as the flames get higher.

First cousin to stop playing his banjo long enough to get the 3 Nephites to pose for a picture while they are working magic on someones broke down Oldsmobile will go down in family history as a legend.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: August 06, 2013 11:05AM

Feel free to steal the gag. Perhaps you could claim to seeing JS's face in a cupcake at YW.

Brother of Jerry, the dynamics of the eyeball and the camera are not quite the same. In the former, the human imagination can distort and reinterpret the phenomenon. And in the latter, be it chemical or digital, a person can re-engineer the image. Now, better than ever with Photoshop. So the simple fact is that photographic evidence can be created. Thus, I am instinctively, and extremely, skeptical of any paranormal photographs.

I read about a study, rather recently, which found that people who do not believe in a Supreme Being are, counterintuitively and paradoxically, more likely to believe in ghosts, Bigfoot, aliens, and magick. Go figure.

You might be intrigued with an Evangelical theory that's been around for quite a few years. Christ says (Matthew 24.23-4), "... if anyone says to you, ‘Look, here is the Christ!’ or ‘There he is!’ do not believe it. For false Christs and false prophets will arise and perform great signs and wonders, so as to lead astray, if possible, even the elect." The reasoning from this verse is that in the Endtimes the Antichrist will use digitial technology and mass media to impress and deceive the world's population. You may scoff, but I consider that quite plausible.

Posted by: Jesux of Nazdaq ( )
Date: August 06, 2013 11:20AM

I'd just like one photograph of a lamanite. A DNA-authenticated one. Nothing mystical, magical or evil. Just a standard ole lamanite.

Bueller? Bueller?

<crickets>

Posted by: egomet ( )
Date: August 06, 2013 01:02PM

Brother Of Jerry Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> thanks to cellphones, why aren't we getting a
> deluge of photos of:
> Bigfoot
> Nessie
> Demons
> Aliens
> Angels
> Visits from the dead?
>
> And if spirits can't be photographed, why not?
> Eyeballs and cameras work on the same basic
> principles - light is focused through a lens onto
> a layer of chemical receptors. Neither cameras
> nor eyes are magical.

Battery's empty.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.