Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: notmonotloggedin ( )
Date: July 27, 2013 11:32AM

More publicity...waiting to see the stories that come out of this. No word on his companion:

http://www.cnn.com/2013/07/27/world/europe/spain-train-crash/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: PtLoma ( )
Date: July 27, 2013 12:12PM

I wonder if the LDS media will comment on that stat?

If indeed his comp did perish, that would put the LDS survival rate at 50%---much lower than the Catholic survival rate for the accident.

Posted by: jiminycricket ( )
Date: July 27, 2013 12:32PM

And on the flip side, if he was traveling alone (solito), it would not make for good PR to admit that he was traveling against the protective protocol of always having another missionary by your side.

The article says he just finished his MTC training for six weeks. So he was a greenie.

It wouldn't reflect well on the Mission President if he was sending off one of his new missionaries to El Ferrol, Spain all by himself.

The article says the missionary purchased the wrong ticket and so I wonder, was he originally scheduled to travel in a two-some? Did the other missionary buy the right ticket and go at a different time? Were the tickets non-refundable? Did the mission president allow two Elders to then travel on two different days? There are many questions yet to be answered.

Posted by: Senoritalamanita ( )
Date: July 27, 2013 12:18PM

Apparently he had just finished up his first six weeks in a Madrid MTC learning Spanish. He was on his way to meet his first missionary companion when the train derailed. I believe he was traveling alone.

The USA Today article mentions that he is a cancer survivor.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2013/07/25/mormon-missionary-survives-spain-train-wreck/2587921/

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/27/2013 12:19PM by Senoritalamanita.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: July 27, 2013 03:01PM

I'm glad that he survived. It seems like it was a matter of chance on that train. So now he has beaten death twice, considering his prior fight with cancer. He's a very lucky young man!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.