Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: July 10, 2013 07:16PM

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: american jesus ( )
Date: July 10, 2013 09:00PM

if the news story is accurate, it looks like this was a true accident. Sometimes crap just happens

Posted by: dogzilla ( )
Date: July 11, 2013 10:16AM

Be that as it may, it appears that being a Boy Scout in Utah is quite dangerous.

Posted by: Glo ( )
Date: July 10, 2013 09:23PM

Helping clean up trash, of course.

Ah, the joys of Mormon scout camp with unqualified and often disinterested adults.

Posted by: serena ( )
Date: July 10, 2013 09:30PM

Adult negligence.

Posted by: spanner ( )
Date: July 11, 2013 05:48PM

So kids were working directly with a moving trailer, presumably with no way the driver (the operator of what is effectively moving heavy machinery) could observe what was going on.

I feel awful for his family.

Posted by: enoughenoch19 ( )
Date: July 11, 2013 05:05AM

for people who don't drink, these adults sure seem like they are drunk and absent from reality....... imagine how bad it would be if they drank !! Holy Crap.

Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: July 11, 2013 10:20AM

I don't know. Drinking teaches you to concentrate on the most trivial task, hopefully not driving. Then when you are sober, you ability to focus is so much more stronger.

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: July 11, 2013 01:14PM

Isn't that like the pot smokers who say their paintings are of much higher quality when they paint stoned?

But science proved that their judgment of the quality was what was changed--it was impaired.

Anagrammy

Posted by: StillAnon ( )
Date: July 11, 2013 01:37PM

I don't know Anagrammy. Wasn't it Hemmingway who said "write drunk-edit sober"?
I'd bet 1960's - 70's rock n roll would be a lot different if there were no drugs involved.

Date: July 11, 2013 02:50PM

My TBM former friend was that parent who always went along. He saved his life several times and gave me details of horrific incidents which never saw the light of day (surprise). He saved his own son's life plus witnessed the poor judgment and lack of rigorous safety consciousness of the adults. Here are some examples, all from Utah.

*Adult texting while driving scouts.

*Leader telling 11 year old scout it was perfectly fine to "try" to swim to the island with the sun setting. The water temperature was dangerously low plus the island was barely visible in the distance.

*Grossly obese woman allowed to come on scout hike requiring one adult to assist her over every rock and limb depriving the scouts of adequate supervision (they ran ahead).

*Same obese woman tries to leap over stream, falls, breaks her ankle. Requires attention of every adult while waiting for helicopter. It takes six men to haul her out of ravine and she is so heavy that a couple of men have to stay behind with the scouts and hike back. Good thing, because scouts have scattered, some running on ahead, others running back "to get help".

This last one is especially important because it highlights the very reason that scouting deaths in LDS troups are so high compared with other troops (a fact in case you didn't know). The decision to allow the obese woman, who was a ward member, was made by the bishop in consultation with the stake, in consultation with Salt Lake church attorneys. They decided they didn't want to risk a discrimination lawsuit for barring a fat lady when they had allowed skinny ladies.

Children die when anything else takes precedent over their safety. Wilderness safety is Number One in every other scout troop but the LDS ones. Another factor is the dedication and interest of the leaders.

We all know that scouting is the calling given to the least faithful. These are men who did not knock on the door and ask to work with boys in nature, no this is any guy who has committed a violation (like having a cup of coffee mind you or sex) or is trying to hang on to his family despite having discovered that the Mormon Church lies. We get that.

But the important thing is that this person is not necessarily truly there because he wants to be. It is the calling of last resort for bishops to keep fringe people from teaching classes or influencing others with their (truth) cooties.

If you have ever taken kids camping, you know that you have to be alert all the time. The minute your back is turned, they will be daring each other to do something dangerous.

NEVER NEVER NEVER let your boy go into the wilderness alone and letting him go with an LDS scout troup is almost the same thing.

Anagrammy

Posted by: vulturetamer ( )
Date: July 11, 2013 04:12PM

Omg. Truth Cooties. I am gonna pee my pants.....lol.

And anyway, I 100% love this post, Anagrammy!

I went to girl scout summer camp with my daughter this last month and it was on a ymca campground. My eyes were sure opened to the level of SAFETY consciousness, mostly because I've been ten or twenty times to girls camp, and safety is given lip service at girls camp. Boy, I could tell you stories........one in particular, involving a CA brown bear in camp, and our older girls WERE TRYING TO FEED IT and the stake yw president was busy TAKING PICTURES! That's another story for another day.

Anyway, the YMCA and girl scouts don't mess around. Safety first or leave the camp is pretty much the motto. I was impressed, and will go again, with my daughter, in hopes as an added benefit, that when she's old enough to go to girls camp for yw, she will be like......."lame-o"! ;)

Posted by: serena ( )
Date: July 11, 2013 05:59PM

Including a healthy BMI. That's a natonwide requirement. My son's troop is stringent about that. They are very serious about observing safety restrictions concerning everything. Of course, every adult and kid *wants* to be there, not out of duty to a cult. They take the responsibility to the boys seriously.

Date: July 12, 2013 04:12AM

Yes, but not for the long day hikes.

Ana

Posted by: popeyes ( )
Date: July 11, 2013 10:29AM

and it happend during a service project.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: July 11, 2013 12:36PM

and the guy who went to tell the parents said, "The mother was so excited to tell me that he loved going to scout camp." I thought that was a rather INAPPROPRIATE statement. Excited? Really?

I had 2 brothers almost die at scout camp due to negligence by the leaders.

Posted by: vulturetamer ( )
Date: July 11, 2013 12:45PM

Oh man, as much as I dislike my ex, thank goodness we have an agreement that NO child of ours will attend scout camp/yw camp without one of US there. I'm not saying an accident could not happen even with a parent present, but I am saying I'm willing to sacrifice my time to chaperone & haul equipment in order to keep my own eyes on our kids.

My ex wholeheartedly agrees. If dad can't go, kid can't go. Same thing for our daughter.

Nice thing is, like this year, dad can't go to scout camp, saves us something to the tune of $450!!!!! And even better, kid could care less because the scout troop in this ward is wah wah anyway.

Every time I read one of these stories, I cringe, and totally know the 'whatever' lack of adult supervision at these events. : /

Posted by: drilldoc ( )
Date: July 11, 2013 12:52PM

Grief counselors? I can see it now - another sell job for TSCC and "families can be together forever" shtick.

Posted by: DonQuijote ( )
Date: July 11, 2013 04:58PM

Yikes, this is the worst thread to read while my son is at Scout Camp as we speak. At least it's just a day camp, he'll be back this evening. But as soon as he turns 9 we were planning on switching him to a regular non-LDS troop.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.