Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Already Gone ( )
Date: September 08, 2014 03:18PM

So I just turned 31, too old for my singles ward (even though I don't think I will be kicked out). I really want to stop going, but I want to keep the social aspects of the single's ward to have friends and get invited to different things. I don't want to miss that (even though I know I can't really can't stay in a singles ward for long.) Like usual, all my friends and family are Mormons. I live in the middle of Davis county.

I live with my parents because of financial and health difficulty I have had. I don't know what they would do if I just stopped going. They are militant TBMs.

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: September 08, 2014 03:20PM

Yes I know I need to get out of my parent's house. I am trying.

Posted by: jerry64 ( )
Date: September 08, 2014 03:36PM

..and other churches have social activity among their members and with others. So maybe just try out another church or volunteer somewhere on weekends where young single people tend to help out (Habitat for Humanity, Humane Society, etc). If your current church friends "unfriend" you, well they weren't very good friends, then, eh?

As for your parents, maybe you can gracefully transition to another church or activity ... only you can guess how well that will work.

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: September 08, 2014 03:44PM

Yes!!!

Start checking out the churches in your reasonable living area...maybe beginning with the Unitarian-Universalists, and then going to the more progressive or liberal Christian denominations. (I don't know how the Lutherans in your area are because there ARE some strict Lutheran churches, but I also know that there are welcoming, MUCH more liberal Lutheran churches, too--because my Camp Fire Girls leader was Lutheran and we were constantly in-and-out of sort-of Lutheran activities and places when we were growing up. If you have a Lutheran church in your area that was anything like the Lutheran church Mrs. Kelly belonged to, you would probably find everything there most compatible with what you are looking for.)

And volunteering for things you care about is often the BEST way of making friends and creating a compatible social network of people you can depend upon for the long term.

Posted by: Cinnamint ( )
Date: September 08, 2014 03:42PM

You're entering a new phase. Leave the singles ward with grace. Don't be one of those clinging knuckle-white; it's undignified. My singles branch had a "confirmed bachelor" who was able to get special permission to stay on for another year. It was--kind of pathetic. BTW, I left graceful tat the age of 31, then left the church that summer. (2011)

Date: September 08, 2014 03:43PM

true. I don't want to stay much longer, I am trying to figure out my next step.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: September 08, 2014 03:47PM

The Mormon church doesn't like anyone to have benefits of membership unless they pay their full pound of flesh.

It might work short term, then be prepared to have them hound or shun you.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.