Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: whywait ( )
Date: September 08, 2014 02:03PM

Founder of Chick-fil-A dies at 93

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: axeldc ( )
Date: September 08, 2014 02:05PM

Posted by: Phazer ( )
Date: September 08, 2014 03:18PM

Yes, the company owner held to his Christian values. Companies can spend their money where they want. Patrons can likewise buy food where they want too. I don't fault what a company does or doesn't support as they can do what they want with the money they earned and is legal.

I enjoy their sandwiches and think it will be nice when states modify many laws that pertaining to sharing assets and responsibilities that legalized marriage has done for 100s of years. Government dumps the marriage term and hands it back to the churches to have them define it how they want. As far as the government is concerned they could careless if it two men, two woman, polygamous, legal binding to a suitcase whatever. Just pay the legal fee and sign. Leave the debate at the churches. It would be less of a headache.

Posted by: MCR ( )
Date: September 08, 2014 03:22PM

Your proposal just isn't possible so long as there are legal costs and benefits tied to marriage. If you legally bind yourself, through marriage, to five suitcases, can you claim them all as dependents on your income tax return? Can you see a problem here?

Posted by: sonoma ( )
Date: September 08, 2014 03:26PM

His intellect was on par with the nutritional value of the crap he sold.

His legacy is bigotry and "type two" diabetes ( formerly known as "adult onset" diabetes, until tens of thousands of fast-food-fat-children developed this food created disease).

Posted by: ferdchet ( )
Date: September 08, 2014 07:22PM

Name calling, really? You don't know anything about the guy. And I'm pretty sure CFA isn't the only source for type 2 "diabeeeetus" in the US today.

Posted by: Richard Foxe ( )
Date: September 08, 2014 07:45PM

I'd like to think that we take with us only the full part.

An NPR account excerpt:

From The Atlanta Journal-Constitution:

"Starting life in poverty, Cathy opened a tiny diner on the outskirts of Atlanta and built it into a corporation with more than 1,800 restaurants. He was inspired as a teen by Napoleon Hill's motivational tome Think and Grow Rich, whose mantra was — you can achieve whatever your mind can conceive.

" 'I had a low image of myself because I was brought up in the deep Depression,' Cathy said in a 2008 interview with The Atlanta Journal-Constitution. "I struggled to get through high school. I didn't get to go to college. But it made me realize you can do anything if you want to bad enough."

Perhaps because of those humble beginnings and his religious beliefs, Cathy went on to support a range of charitable undertakings. In Georgia, the billionaire became famous for running a summer camp that accommodates thousands of children. He also backed scholarship funds and built more than a dozen foster homes through the WinShape Foundation.

Back in 2008, Cathy made headlines when his Florida beach house was trashed by young girls who caused an estimated $30,000 in damage, after the children reportedly used the dining table as a slip-and-slide and held a food fight on the tennis court.

After talking to the girls' parents, Cathy declined to pursue criminal charges. Instead, the girls were banned from watching TV or playing video games for six months. And they had to write "I will not vandalize other people's property" 1,000 times.

Date: September 08, 2014 07:49PM

Thanks for the official "who gives a fuck moment".

One less bigot to have to worry about.

Date: September 08, 2014 07:55PM

Hard to do if you're engaged in a war, though.

Date: September 08, 2014 08:00PM

I'm old school, which means that I've known a lot of men who have died in that war.

Something tells me that you're on the opposing side of that war...

or maybe just a draft dodger.

Date: September 08, 2014 08:17PM

Since you're getting literal (how can one be a draft dodger in the war you're speaking of?), my 1-O claim was rejected because I had a prior student deferment. Classified 1-Y because I used yogic contractions to fail the physical. Then the war stopped.

I know, probably another WGAFM for you...

Date: September 08, 2014 08:26PM

Date: September 08, 2014 08:30PM

Anti-war (which is not waging war on war or playing into one or the other side's pocket).

Date: September 08, 2014 08:37PM

It's amazing when straight dudes complain about LGBTQ people fighting a war when we're still classified as second class citizens by law in this country.

They're usually the same whiners who lose their sh!t when one of their unearned privileges are challenged.

Date: September 08, 2014 08:43PM

and I am continually reminded I am not a citizen.

Date: September 08, 2014 08:51PM

Well, you still have Chic-fil-a...

Posted by: fidget ( )
Date: September 08, 2014 07:28PM

It's too bad the bigotry doesn't die with him.

Posted by: Cinnamint ( )
Date: September 08, 2014 07:27PM

Have to say, their chicken sandwich and waffle fries would reeeeealy hit the spot about now...

Posted by: Levi ( )
Date: September 08, 2014 08:59PM

Say what you will about those homophobic Jebus freaks......they make goddamned good saurinch.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.