Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Finally Free! ( )
Date: September 08, 2014 01:48PM

So, I thought this was interesting, there was a comment in another news article about it and I looked it up... Isn't this a topic that has gotten them in trouble in the past. How long did they try to deny their involvement in California and Hawaii? Now, they're making public announcements about how they're trying to get the Supreme Court to hear the case? I'm sure you can guess which outcome they are hoping for.

"The brief contends that recent court rulings have burdened religious organizations with legal uncertainty. 'The time has come to end the divisive national debate as to whether the Constitution mandates same-sex marriage,' the brief states."

http://www.mormonnewsroom.org/article/five-faiths-urge-supreme-court-to-hear-utah-same-sex-marriage-case

Just how are religious organizations "burdened" with "legal uncertainty"... regardless of how the courts rule, no religion will have to change anything. What is their "burden" that they have to bare because of this? Oh, well, other than public ridicule...

I really wonder how the church is going to spin this when they ultimately start allowing same sex marriages. I figure they will hold out as long as possible, until a few of the old guard dies out, or they are hit financially or publicly in a big enough way to force the issue, but at some point we're going to hear "The church has always supported LGBT individuals, we've prayed for days on end that God would allow them to marry. We're so happy now that they can receive the same blessings of eternal marriage as everyone else."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/08/2014 01:54PM by Finally Free!.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: September 08, 2014 01:49PM

they always hide behind god

Posted by: sonoma ( )
Date: September 08, 2014 01:56PM

"The time has come to end the divisive national debate as to whether the Constitution mandates same-sex marriage,' the brief states."

News Flash to Dumbass, Mormon Lawyers...

The US Constitution doesn't even mention the word "marriage".

The constitutional question will be answered as to Equal Protection.

Oh, and your stupid cult is going to lose.

Posted by: moose ( )
Date: September 08, 2014 03:49PM

dumbass

Mormon lawyers

Posted by: Once More ( )
Date: September 08, 2014 02:09PM

It's clear that the mormons involved in this amicus brief are clueless enough to think they have a chance of winning, (after demonstrating their incompetence in lower courts), and that mormons in Utah want to take the credit for an anti-gay marriage ruling.

That's why they're pushing for the Supreme Court to hear the Utah case.

Posted by: Pathway ( )
Date: September 08, 2014 02:17PM

Marriage is a huge deal for the Church...and assuming that gay marriage is finally sanctioned by the Supreme Court for all of the US (which I expect it will),

I can see the Church choosing to get out of the marriage business completely for purely legal reasons. They would only perform sealings.

They want to blame the "world" for such a change rather than be seen to caving to increasing pressure from LDS who see LDS Temple wedding as an event that can be incredibly exclusionary and offensive to non-member family/friends.

Posted by: Once More ( )
Date: September 08, 2014 02:23PM

When the mormons lose … again, I'm betting that they concoct some plan to get even more conservative justices appointed to the Supreme Court, with a view to reversing the decision in the future.

I don't think the TBM mormons will ever give up. Might be nice to see them wasting their money and time … again.

Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: September 08, 2014 02:25PM

Posted by: amyslittlesister ( )
Date: September 08, 2014 02:31PM

WHEN IS SOMEONE GOING TO TAKE THESE FIVE FAITHS TO COURT AND CHALLENGE THEIR TAX-EXEMPT STATUS?? IF THEY ARE FILING AMICUS BRIEFS THEY ARE PAYING LAWYERS WITH THEIR TITHING AND CHURCH DOLLARS TO CHALLENGE A CURRENT LAW. HOW MUCH CLEARER CAN THIS GET?

(CAPS INTENDED)

Posted by: atouchscreendarkly ( )
Date: September 08, 2014 04:07PM

But, wouldn't it be wonderful if they said "no we aren't," and the US came back with "Prove it."
... They'd have to give up their financial records, and they'd become a matter of public record.

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: September 08, 2014 03:58PM

It will burden them because it will be harder to convince gay, oops--I mean same-sex attracted, kids, especially as they near their 30s, to go ahead and enter into an opposite-sex marriage if they ever want to have a family.

Even though TSCC claims they no longer encourage young adults who suffer with the burden of same-sex attraction to marry, there are still many who do. And many of them just stay in the closet. What's going to happen if these kids start thinking they could actually be their authentic selves. And that their church should accept them? God forbid.

Posted by: NYCGal ( )
Date: September 08, 2014 04:40PM

Judge Posner is one of the most respected judges on the very highly regarded Seventh Circuit Court of Appeals.

After his recent decision, one can only wonder why Utah or any other state is even bothering to spend money on this fight anymore.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/outward/2014/09/05/judge_richard_posner_s_gay_marriage_opinion_is_witty_moral_and_brilliant.html

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.