Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: themaster ( )
Date: September 06, 2014 11:01PM

Good Grief - BYU slaughtered Texas tonight. Just more proof Satan rules. My Mormon relatives have another whole year to gloat. Two freaking years in a row. There is no god.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Agnes Broomhead ( )
Date: September 08, 2014 07:15AM

Will this be the new "sign and token" at LD$ temples from now on?

http://www.texasexes.org/uthistory/traditions.aspx?tradition=hookem

Posted by: wanderinggeek ( )
Date: September 08, 2014 08:16AM

I don't know about God....but what a great game as a BYU Football fan. It's hard at times...but as long as I don't listen to Bronco go on about God and all that. I do still enjoy watching BYU football! Go Cougars!

Posted by: kimball ( )
Date: September 08, 2014 01:42PM

I hear you. Every year I go off on how I don't support my alma mater, but I inevitably feel like a college football orphan with nowhere else to turn. I've tried picking up other teams, but having never attended any other university I just can't do it. I have to have that connection.

So for the past year up until about halftime Saturday night I was rooting for BYU to lose, but now I'm cheering for them again. I'd still love to watch the entire university burn to the ground, and I'd love for Bronco and some of the players to have their asses handed to them, but the team is in my bones in a way that I'm not sure I'll ever be able to get rid of. Go Cougs! You sons of bitches!

Posted by: wanderinggeek ( )
Date: September 08, 2014 02:05PM

I had multipule people ask me "So you still going to watch BYU football?" Of course, just because the church is a fraud doesn't mean I can't like the team.

Posted by: kimball ( )
Date: September 08, 2014 06:03PM

My major protest is against BYU's anti-intellectual policies and violation of human rights - particularly it's strict policy in expelling students and faculty members who convert from Mormonism to any other form of belief, and requirement of 10% of faculty income to be returned to the sponsoring organization. The football team is often flaunted in support of all of that in the form of firesides and publicity.

I also really don't like Bronco, and hate half the stuff that comes out of the players' mouths, which make it hard for me to watch them and root for them. But like I said, I don't have any other team.

Posted by: Chump ( )
Date: September 08, 2014 03:19PM

Most Texas fans admit that their team currently sucks. Virginia is going to be a much more difficult test for BYU. If they beat Virginia, they probably have a decent shot at going undefeated and getting a decent bowl game. If Taysom keeps putting up numbers like he did against Texas, he's going to be in the Heisman discussion. Mormons are going to claim that they were mistaken about Romney, THIS is their "mormon moment".

Posted by: Chump ( )
Date: September 08, 2014 03:30PM

"The best one was the end zone interception by Texas!"

A better receiver, especially one 8-9 inches taller than the corner, would have caught that ball. He got his fingertips on the ball reaching over the corner. He could have brought it down with one hand or at least knocked it out of bounds.

Hill isn't nearly as reckless as Nelson was. Hill slides when he needs to. Nelson got beat on a lot more...and ended up with a broken back. Still, I don't believe that Hill is going to be able to keep that up all season. I'll be very impressed if he does.

Posted by: Kentish ( )
Date: September 08, 2014 07:25PM

To heck with Virginia, what about Boise State? They may well give BYU a run. They have a great record against Utah schools especially UofU.

Posted by: quinlansolo ( )
Date: September 08, 2014 09:00AM

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: September 08, 2014 09:12AM

I thought the whole point of sports was not to be grown up for a while. It's a game, after all.

Besides think of all the people bearing testimony yesterday that BYU football is tawooooo.

Posted by: jpt ( )
Date: September 08, 2014 02:15PM

It's difficult to separate when the school is named after Brigham Young. I guess calling it BYU works like calling the chicken place KFC... the "F" still means "fried." And in this case, it's hard to erase what I think of brother Brigham.

Posted by: Adult of god nli ( )
Date: September 08, 2014 02:57PM

I'm a BYU almuna, but only a recent football fan. (Loves me my Seahawks!)

I thought the game was great fun. Many laugh out loud moments with multiple fumbles and recoveries. The best one was the end zone interception by Texas!

I worry about the BYU QB. He runs and gets tackled so much that he may have a short, fraught football life--Like Griffin the Third. They could both take lessons from Russell Wilson. He reads his team really well for receivers and when he does have to run the ball, he slides!

Posted by: ferdchet ( )
Date: September 08, 2014 07:16PM

Huh? Football? Baseball season is still going. Did not realize there was another sport being played right now.

Seriously though, my ultra TBM in-laws were visiting, and following the game. Neither went to BYU but are religious about rooting for the Cougs.

I was well-behaved and did not ask if maybe the Cougs were on their game because Max Hall has been helping provide some extra "pep" for the team.

Posted by: kgigeque ( )
Date: September 08, 2014 10:49PM

My daughter is at UT Austin and texted home after the game about what a massacre it was. My husband answered her back: "It looks like it isn't just your mom recovering from Mormonism."

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.