Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: zimmy ( )
Date: September 06, 2014 08:02PM

everyone seems to think it will be the guy who lives in the million dollar house. his grandfather was the first bishop and his father has been stake president. they own the local bank. the meek may inherit the earth but its the rich that get all the good jobs? I'm not certain bishop is a good job. listening to sinners and complainers all the time. oh well, better him than me. the only real problem is he has a wife who already thinks she is queen of the ward. if her husband is the new bishop we may all have to bow down to her when she passes by.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/06/2014 08:04PM by zimmy.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: September 06, 2014 08:15PM

That's how she wants it, how he likes it, and how they need it.

Posted by: amyslittlesister ( )
Date: September 08, 2014 02:24PM

Who won?

Posted by: jpt ( )
Date: September 08, 2014 03:00PM

In the past, I've seen some great people called to be bishop, and I've naively thought, "good, he'll do a good job."

Well, within a few months, his personality is gone, he's rarely smiling or happy, and he's morphed into another mormon pod-person front-line manager. It's like those sci-fi shows where someone walks into a booth, and comes out a new obedient person. The old person is gone.

Of course, this applies to the "good guys," and not to the guys soliciting the power trip. I've run into a few too many of those also ....

Posted by: Chump ( )
Date: September 08, 2014 03:11PM

This has happened to a few of my family members. My TBM FIL speaks openly about church callings hurting his marriage. He became bishop, his regular sense of humor disappeared, he was always tired, stressed about giving good advice without inspiration, depressed from listening to confessions twice a week, and felt like he couldn't even talk to his wife about what had become the biggest part of his life. He's pointed out the same thing happening to his brother and other family members, but he's still as TBM as ever. It's a shame that he thinks that a weakened spousal relationship in this life is going to earn him a stronger relationship and eternal reward in a next life that probably doesn't even exist.

Posted by: zimmy ( )
Date: September 08, 2014 08:50PM

I was really shocked yesterday. the new bishop is a young guy, a few kids and a wife who has been compared to june cleaver. he has lived in the ward a few years, elder. he is not rich, not blood related to the first person to turn soil in town. his first counselor is the one I thought would be bishop. this may be a bad omen for him. this is the 3rd time he has been passed over. I guess having money is not everything. the 2nd counselor is the cousin to the 1st. anyway, I was so happy the I did not want was passed over that I really did not care who the bishop was, well as long as it was not me.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: September 08, 2014 09:24PM

is there a career track for 'leaders' who've mostly been counselors?

In Morland, it's about 80% status, 1% Christian love, concepts, principles.

19% maintaining their brand of Loyalty, etc.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.