Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: September 06, 2014 02:45PM

. . . by local police on suspicion of possession of stolen items and cocaine. Latest update:

"'Max Hall Out as Coordinator at Gilbert [Az\Z] High After Arrest'

"Gilbert High [played] [last night's] football game against Mesa Desert Ridge with head coach Tim Rutt back on the sideline, but without offensive coordinator Max Hall.

"Hall, the former Mesa Mountain View, BYU and Cardinals quarterback who installed Gilbert's spread offense during camp, has been let go by the school and won't coach in the Gilbert Public Schools after his arrest last Saturday for shoplifting and possessing cocaine.

"'Mr. Hall was not a certified employee of Gilbert Public Schools,' said Alex Nardone, Chief of Staff of the Gilbert Public Schools. 'He was paid a stipend as a football coach. Mr. Hall will not be returning to Gilbert High School.'"

http://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/high-school/2014/09/05/max-hall-out-coordinator-gilbert-high-after-arrest/15153643/
_____

For original story on Hall's arrest, see:

http://www.azcentral.com/story/news/local/gilbert/2014/09/02/max-hall-arrested-cocaine-abrk/14981439/

Edited 7 time(s). Last edit at 09/06/2014 03:29PM by steve benson.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Anonfortime ( )
Date: September 06, 2014 07:12PM

I hate BYU Football. Whiney white boys gathered from among the jack-wads that end up playing church basketball when they're done with the pads.

Having said that (to get it off my chest), I feel for this guy. Husband, father and now unemployed. Let's hope he gets himself straight for the sake of his family.

Posted by: quinlansolo ( )
Date: September 08, 2014 09:23AM

It's gotta be Max Hall. Terrible mistake but not irreversible...

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: September 08, 2014 09:56AM

A very under-discussed aspect of a lousy situation like this is that so many star athletes are not prepared for careers outside their sports. They're singled out for their talents, practice intensely to the exclusion of regular academic and other skill sets, and often given special breaks and passes, easy courses, "gentlemen's B's," a courtesy drive home by the cops when they should have been arrested.

When they can no longer make the grade, either by underperformance or aging, many star athletes (yeah, the guys who dated the A-list girls) don't have back-up careers. So they coach high school and work at sports camps.

Thus they develop a sense of privilege and immunity. Not knowing anything about Hall, I suspect that may have been a factor.

A friend of mine committed a moral transgression, and his life has fallen apart. I harbor no schadenfreude on Hall.

Posted by: jerry64 ( )
Date: September 08, 2014 10:25AM

I am wondering if this started with pain killer abuse back at BYU.

Didn't a former player come out recently and say they were passed out like candy in the lockerroom? Not that it was unique to BYU, of course, but this idea that BYU is above all that is bunk.
er
Edit: One story of painkiller abuse from Deseret News...
http://www.deseretnews.com/article/695222185/Pills-for-pain-put-BYU-star-in-a-tailspin.html

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/08/2014 11:10AM by jerry64.

Posted by: Agnes Broomhead ( )
Date: September 08, 2014 12:00PM

I doubt Kate Kelly has ever touched an illegal narcotic in her life. So why doesn't Max receive the same fate from the Morg?

Posted by: lilburne ( )
Date: September 08, 2014 12:03PM

I feel sorry for this guy.

He's high profile and has done some dumb things. He has an addiction issue, but if the church dumps on him rather than claiming him as their own despite his troubles then I think they probably need to remove the 'Jesus Christ' bit from the name of the church as its lip service.

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: September 08, 2014 12:05PM

The bigger disgrace was not making it in the pros and ending up at a high school.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: September 08, 2014 12:11PM

what did he shoplift ?

Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: September 08, 2014 12:16PM

. . . along with his personal drug paraphrenalia.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/08/2014 12:17PM by steve benson.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: September 08, 2014 01:00PM

I'm relieved.
I thought he might be stealing CTR rings or something.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.