Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: generationofvipers ( )
Date: September 06, 2014 11:53AM

If any of you watch The Office there might be some parallels. Violations of personal boundaries. Lack of self awareness. Awkwardness in expressing emotions.

And there is an episode or two where Michael Scott says something he thinks is profound that just sounds goofy to everyone else.

In one episode Michael makes a video for racial tolerance and says "Abraham Lincoln said if you are a racist I will attack you with the north...these are the words I try to live by."

It reminded me so much of Bednar's pickle talk I about busted a gut. Who besides Bednar could seriously come up with that talk? Michael Scott.

Who else could be oblivious enough to make a kid cry by putting him in a creepy bear hug? Michael Scott.

What grown man besides Bednar could look deadly serious when talking about a sappy hallmark card-expression like "the tender mercies"? Michael Scott.

All those hilarious cringeworthy episodes remind me of Michael from The Office. I love this guy.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: joesleftnut ( )
Date: September 06, 2014 04:32PM

I think you are on to something with this. Sadly there seems to be no redeeming humanity under the surface with Bednar like there was with Scott.

Posted by: Pooped ( )
Date: September 06, 2014 04:57PM

I don't think Bednar has it in him to admit he's been wrong. I think he fully knows the church is a scam but he'll never admit it publicly. If he could at least let his family in on the secret and let them get out I might have a tiny bit of respect for the little creep. As it stands, Bednar is going to milk the scam as long as he possibly can and keep supporting the hoax. How he can hawk his books and sleep at night makes me cringe.

Posted by: mrtranquility ( )
Date: September 08, 2014 09:50AM

Bednar really knows how to package Jeebus' gospel to make it more attractiver than ever! Pickling myself is right at the top of my bucket list. His delivery which is strangely robotic and maudlin at the same time, is icing on the cake.

To truly follow Mormon God you must stuff yourself into a jar packed so tightly with others you cannot move and immerse yourself in a briny solution deprived of oxygen in which you would drown in a matter of minutes. Then you immerse the jar in a boiling pot to seal the jar tight. Sign me up!

I think Bednar is more a composite of Michael and Angela. The ineptitude of Michael combined with the cold-hearted, super judgmental nature of Angela.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: September 08, 2014 03:28PM

Except that Michael Scott was stupidly sweet and good-natured. Bednar is a dick.

Posted by: PapaKen ( )
Date: September 08, 2014 04:03PM

Ever since I saw that video clip pf Bedmar hugging a young confused boy from behind, I can't stop thinking of him as a pedophile. Probably not true, but the image is there.

What IS true is Bednar, et al are preaching falsehoods to young people in the LD$ church, and that's the ultimate child abuse, IMO.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/08/2014 04:04PM by PapaKen.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.