Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Anon4disone ( )
Date: September 06, 2014 02:56AM

So my somewhat believing DW and I live in... close to paradise. Close to warm beaches, etc. I've noticed that when my SIL comes to visit she brings... NONE, Zero garnets to wear. She's in her swimming suit the whole time and my wife has mentioned that she's sans garments every time she visits us. In my book she's pretty TBM, goes to church most every sundee, etc. is this common you think? When Mo'mo's are out of the corridor different rules apply? I had a boss years ago who used to tell me that any time he and his wife went anywhere warm or tropical, they left the G's at home. I couldn't believe this, but it seems to be a "thing"

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: September 06, 2014 03:29AM

'What Happens on Vacation, STAYS ON VACATION!'

Posted by: Lorenzo Snowjob ( )
Date: September 06, 2014 08:41AM

It is called "vacation" for a reason!

Posted by: Particles of Faith ( )
Date: September 06, 2014 09:11AM

As long as no yard work is done they should be okay ;)

Posted by: rt ( )
Date: September 06, 2014 09:22AM

I would have to see pictures to make an accurate assessment ;-)

Posted by: downsouth ( )
Date: September 06, 2014 09:32AM

We went on vacation with a couple once, while still in the fold, and they were all about the no-g's while there. In fact, the comment was made that they were not excited to go back and have to start wearing them again. Beyond that, the outfits worn during the week were very very non-Mormon. But yet, they are still in the fold and very active and put on the pedestal as the ideal family and we are out.

Posted by: lapsed ( )
Date: September 06, 2014 10:00AM

Hopefully, more and more people are realizing that the Earth won't open up and swallow them for not being so obsessive with "rules" that are made by old white men you'd never want to see in a swim suit.

Posted by: Alpiner ( )
Date: September 06, 2014 10:02AM

Everybody that posts on this board hated them when they were in and wore them reluctantly.

Why would we assume other members of the church felt differently?

Posted by: adoylelb ( )
Date: September 06, 2014 03:26PM

I've noticed that as well, but it's called vacation for a reason. In fact, I can often figure out those on the SLC flights as sometimes you might see garments peeking out of shorts. I think in those cases, they put the G's back on because they knew the Disneyland trip was over, and that they'll be judged by the ward if they're seen not wearing them.

Posted by: montanadude ( )
Date: September 06, 2014 03:31PM

When we live in SLC, my wife noticed all the stay at home LDS moms would wear their gym clothes all day to avoid wearing garms. They would walk with friends or go to the gym in the morning and never change. She also laughed that most of them wore thong underwear.

Posted by: Levi ( )
Date: September 06, 2014 03:43PM

Just noticed this post after I posted a similar vein of thought. Whoops.

I'm curious as well. The TBMs I am familiar with are die hards and ALWAYS wear their gs.

But then I have a friend, and every once in a while I'll notice regular panties and such.

Perhaps not as TBM as I thought???? (MADLY HOPING)

Posted by: squeebee ( )
Date: September 08, 2014 10:31AM

Yeah this even happens with my ultra-TBM in-laws on summer trips to the lake. The logic is that since you're near a body of water you just put on your swim suit so you could perhaps go swimming at any time, and you can't wear your G's while in a swim suit, so no harm no foul.

Also got my TBM wife out of her G's (finally) at a resort vacation with the same logic "let's just wear our swim suits and this sun dress I got you, that way if we want we can stop for a swim while we're out exploring."

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: September 08, 2014 10:44AM

Most TBMs detest those uglyass things and I doubt many believe they have any purpose other than a show of self-righteousness. Who wouldn't take any opportunity to shed them when their friends and neighbors aren't around?

The sad thing is that they feel like they have to justify it--with the swim suit or "sporting" activity or whatever. You're on vacation, take them off and enjoy yourself. Especially if you know there are many things in mormondumb that will keep you out of the CK before taking off your undies will.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.