Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: praydude ( )
Date: September 04, 2014 11:20PM

I retired out of the USAF in 2010 and it was creepy to see the religion work its way into the culture of the Air Force. When I joined in 1990 there were no prayers at commander's calls or singing religious songs at dinning ins. When I left prayers were at all official functions and I had to demand several times that there would be no praying at my retirement ceremony!

Why do chaplains, with their degrees in fairy tales, outrank me? I don't think it is right for the government to subsidise christianity by allowing military members, who are all paid by the taxpayers, to indulge in religious ceremonies.

Oh well, Onward christian soldiers...

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: michaelm (not logged in) ( )
Date: September 05, 2014 07:44AM

Off we go into the wild blue yonder.

Posted by: michael ( )
Date: September 05, 2014 09:52AM

And if you think that's bad, the "dominionists" have just about taken over the USAF Academy, to where if a cadet is not their brand of Christian or not Christian at all, the harassment is never-ending.

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: September 05, 2014 02:49PM

". . . but no religious Test shall ever be required as a
Qualification to any Office or public Trust under the United
States."

U.S. Constitution, Article VI.

Date: September 06, 2014 03:40AM

Too bad the military does not follow the constitution. They follow the UCMJ.

I know the UCMJ is based on the constitution...and it is...only unhampered by progress.

Date: September 08, 2014 04:45PM

page 54 of the UCMJ says "oath includes affirmation and sworn includes affirmed".
http://www.loc.gov/rr/frd/Military_Law/pdf/MCM-2012.pdf

The UCMJ allows the airman to reenlist without the restriction the Air Force is putting on him.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: September 06, 2014 05:25AM

This will get thrown out in court. Here is the presidential oath of office, specifically included in the US Constitution:

Before he enter on the Execution of his Office, he shall take the following Oath or Affirmation:— “I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will faithfully execute the Office of President of the United States, and will to the best of my Ability, preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States."

Notice, no mention of God, and the president is given the option of having the oath of office be an affirmation, rather than a sworn oath. That was written 225 years ago, back before America was brain-damaged by religion.

The Air Force has a Jesus/God bug up their collective butts, and they need to be brought back to reality.

Date: September 06, 2014 06:09AM

Posted by: Ragnar ( )
Date: September 06, 2014 06:19AM

From the article link:

"Reciting 'So help me God' in the reenlistment and commissioning oaths is a statutory requirement under Title 10 U.S.C. §502," Rose Richeson told Military.com on Thursday. Air Force Instruction on the oath is consistent with the language mandated in the law, she said.

"Airmen are no longer authorized to omit the words 'So help me God'," Richeson said."

It sounds like a change in the law, which would have been done by congress and the prez.

With the mid-term elections coming up soon, it would be a great time to 'throw the bums out' and elect new representatives. Most people in the U.S. complain about their congressmen, but then they keep re-electing them.

Date: September 06, 2014 06:40AM

It doesn't add up. The Air Force Instructions are under the Secretary of the Air Force, not Congress.

If it is a law applicable to all, why hasn't it been applied to the Army, Navy, Marine Corp and Coast Guard? Why does it only affect the USAF? I call BS on the excuse the AF is giving. The law allows omission of the words.

Date: September 06, 2014 07:02AM

Here is Title 10 U.S.C. §502. Note that there are no recent amendments.
http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/USCODE-2011-title10/pdf/USCODE-2011-title10-subtitleA-partII-chap31-sec502.pdf

Here is AFI 36-2606. Note the recent change.
http://static.e-publishing.af.mil/production/1/af_a1/publication/afi36-2606/afi36-2606.pdf

Congress had nothing to do with this. The Secretary of the Air Force could put an immediate stop to this nonsense.

Posted by: No Mo ( )
Date: September 06, 2014 07:28AM

The oath current wording has always had the phrase about god. (Army regulations 601-210 make it optional).

The oath went into effect in 1962. The oath at the time of the signing of the Declaration of Independence did not have the phrase. The oath taken at the time of the Revolutionary War did not have the phrase. The oath at the time of the signing of the US Constitution did not have the phrase. Fear mongering due to the "godless commies" was the impetus for changing an oath that lasted in a different forum for almost 200 years.

The phrase is not required by the United States Constitution as Article 6 states that there be no religious test for public office.

I repeated the officer oath but I left religion before I graduated from Air Force pilot training. My only regret is that I didn't leave superstitious mythologies and imaginary friends sooner.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/06/2014 07:29AM by No Mo.

Posted by: Bradley ( )
Date: September 06, 2014 08:10AM

All of this religious encroachment

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: September 06, 2014 10:37AM

If a religious person were asked these questions:

How would you feel about having to say say "..in Jack-o-lantern we trust" when you are talking about something important?

How would you feel about having to say, "..so help me Donald Duck" when you are committing to do something serious?

How would you feel about having "...in Mickey we trust" printed on things like money that you want treated honestly and fairly. You have no trust whatsoever in Mickey.

How would you feel about saying, "...under Goblins" in pledges that you think cheapens and fantasizes the things you care deeply about?

How would you feel about putting your hand on a book of fairy tales to show you are being truthful?

That is how an atheist like me feels. I'm willing to put up with these things to accommodate believers, but I don't think they realize that inserting "God" in things just trivializes and cheapens the meaning of important things to someone like me. It's hard for me to take someone seriously if they resort to Mickey or goblins when they are trying to pledge their commitment to deal fairly with me or each other.

I do not see any difference whatsoever between all the gods, fairies, cartoon characters, etc. The evidence for all is exactly the same at the root.

If I were in the Air Force and I had to evoke god, it would making a joke to my commitment.

Posted by: No Mo ( )
Date: September 06, 2014 10:46AM

dagny Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

>
> If I were in the Air Force and I had to evoke god,
> it would making a joke to my commitment.

That is what I was thinking. If I was forced to me a statement that violated my rights under the Constitution and my conscience in order to stay in the military or get my retirement, I would be like the dyslexic atheist who doesn't believe in a dog.

"...So help me dog." The officer performing the ceremony would just wonder if he misheard the enlistee.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: September 06, 2014 10:51AM

LOL. Perfect solution.

Date: September 06, 2014 06:50PM

I commented on the military.com website link that was provided and I could not believe the rash of Jesus fanatics that spoke out against me using crazy arguments...Ben Franklin would have wanted it this way...Finally we are in keeping with our traditions...God is our leader.

It is baffling that the one branch of the service that seemed to pride itself on its collective smarts is behaving so badly. I wonder if it is because the USAF Academy is in Colorado and that is the home for the fanatical evangelistics?

Date: September 06, 2014 07:37PM

I noticed the fanatical comments too. Definitely behaving badly. This whole issue of not being able to reenlist is something that the Secretary of the Air Force could and should put an immediate stop to. Is she asleep or what?

It's not like the airman is demanding the right to say "so help me Goddamn it" :)

Posted by: trisha ( )
Date: September 06, 2014 07:51PM

Do you ever miss the days when none of this bothered you? I know that this stuff drives me batty now....

Date: September 08, 2014 04:07PM

The media is starting to point out the limp dick excuse the Air Force gave.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/volokh-conspiracy/wp/2014/09/08/should-atheists-who-refuse-to-say-so-help-me-god-be-excluded-from-the-air-force/

Is the Secretary of the Air Force asleep? She needs to put a stop to this nonsense right now. The excuses are as bad as Mormon apologetics.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.