Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: heretic ( )
Date: June 07, 2013 12:45PM

Oh, well. Another wonderful story of how TSCC conditions it's sheeple to put the cult first,
before family, and actually breaks up families, not unites them.

A TBM mother was relating how her missionary son had just returned
from the completion of an honorable mission, but seems to already be moving away from the cult.
He stopped attending church, started dating a gal that he was having carnal relations with
and "God Forbid," they eloped and got married in Vegas.

Enough is enough, at least to these TBM parents
(which BTW, had to get married themselves because of their own pre-marital physicality, shall we say).
He's now, Persona Non-Grata, and they won't have a thing to do with him or her.

My question is, for these pseudo Christians, "What Would Jesus Do in a situation like this?"
Instead, they seem to be asking, "What Would The Church have us do in a situation like this?"

Wasn't it Jesus who taught that if even one of the hundred sheep is lost
that you're to leave the 99 and go recover the one that is lost?
The above parent behavior, which most of us here know is not uncommon to Mormonism,
is the exact polar opposite of traditional Christianity.
Mormons actions speak so loudly, that their pleas to be called Christians are completely drowned out.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 06/07/2013 01:37PM by heretic.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Senoritalamanita ( )
Date: June 07, 2013 01:02PM

How cold. I could never understand how ANY parent could disown their child.

The only upside, if there is one, is that the son and his new wife are spared the toxicity that comes along with such disapproving and unfeeling parents. I wish the young couple much joy!

Posted by: truthseeker ( )
Date: June 08, 2013 04:48PM

+1

Posted by: elciz ( )
Date: June 07, 2013 01:09PM

Jesus would love unconditionally. And we would be happier and society better off if we did the same. Even if Jesus is a myth, it's still a worthy philosophy. Too bad for these parents. They will learn eventually what it is like to treat a loved one that way.

Posted by: caedmon ( )
Date: June 07, 2013 01:18PM

The TBM parental logic seems to be: "If we aren't going to be together as a family for the eternities, then why bother spending any time together in this life?"

Converesely, when TBM parents are away from the family fulfulling callings and later senior missions, the message is: "We are going to spend eternity together, so we don't need to be together as a family in this life."

Either way, the cult wins and families lose.

Posted by: saviorself ( )
Date: June 07, 2013 01:43PM

If the TBM parents have no contact with their son and DIL then who loses out? It is the parents, of course, who are the losers. Their actions are like cutting off your nose to spite your face.

The difference between family and friends is that we get to choose our friends. How many exmos REALLY want to be friends with hard core TBMs?

Posted by: hUGH ( )
Date: June 07, 2013 01:49PM

Disown figuratively or litterally?

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: June 07, 2013 05:42PM

I've been disowned myself. If you don't believe, you don't receive. That's Mormonism.

Posted by: bordergirl ( )
Date: June 07, 2013 10:50PM

Whatever happened to "I may disagree with what you do, but I will always love you"?

These parents are unchristian, in word and deed.

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: June 08, 2013 02:51AM

Hate the sin but . . . ah what the heck, hate the sinner too.

Posted by: diablo ( )
Date: June 08, 2013 05:49AM

evil bastards.

some day.

Posted by: Lady Willpower ( )
Date: June 08, 2013 11:29AM

Jesus would love and accept, and I thought (based on my local ward) the church would do the same thing. It sounds like this is a parental 'overkill' stance more than the stance of the church. Although I know all wards have their own culture. How sad that these parents are denying themselves and their son of each other's love and fellowship.

QUESTION - What is TSCC? I know it stands for some sort of church policy, but I can translate the abbreviation. Thanks!

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: June 08, 2013 11:32AM

TSCC = the so-called church.

Look on the main page of the website. There should be a list of acronyms that are common to this site.

Posted by: Lady Willpower ( )
Date: June 08, 2013 11:50AM

Ahhh - thank you for the translation. I will check out the abbreviations. Appreciate the help!

Posted by: Strykary ( )
Date: June 08, 2013 11:53AM

"Wasn't it Jesus who taught that if even one of the hundred sheep is lost that you're to leave the 99 and go recover the one that is lost?"

That's exactly what they think they are doing, heretic. By cutting him off they hope to make him feel alone and guilty for taking care of his own needs and desires. Essentially, they want him to know that the price of leaving the fold is losing his family. In their twisted minds, this is supposed to make him want to compromise his values and return home due to his family mistreating him.

My parents did this to me. They believe that they are doing this from a position of love: "He'll come back because he misses us. Cutting him off is for his own good." If anything, it makes me want to stay the hell away from them. People that toxic aren't worthy of being in anyone's life.

Posted by: Alpiner ( )
Date: June 08, 2013 12:01PM

Jesus also taught people should walk away from their families to follow him, as is seen in Luke Chapter 14.

What is "christian" or Christ-like is widely left up to interpretation. Disowning your family because of differing non-harmful beliefs can be arguably christian or un-christian; without a doubt, it is wrong.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: June 08, 2013 05:17PM

Ask the money changers down at the temple, who were just engaging in a little free-market capitalism.

Posted by: karin ( )
Date: June 08, 2013 05:32PM

My parents are kind of doing the opposite! I was basically ignored unless my parents happen to be driving by my city ( we lived an hour away from them). We were tbm's then.

now that we live 5 hrs away and have resigned from the church, they seem to want to talk to and visit us. They are elderly now, tho and have very few non Mormon -or Mormon- friends, but they are still tbm themselves.

I liked it better when they stayed away! My mother was a verbally/ emotionally abusive person with whom i'd never have a relationship except that she's related to me by blood. I think they aren't shunning for their own needs.

Posted by: mia ( )
Date: June 08, 2013 06:42PM

These parents need to get over themselves. They should be happy they got married. They could have shacked up and started a family that way.

Apparently the parents don't care about any future grandkids either.

I can see why the couple eloped. They most likely would have had to endure mountains of preaching and threats for not getting married in the temple. It's just so much easier to side step all that and elope. Either way they couldn't win.

Sounds like one more missionary learned the truth on his mission. That's one more future family that won't be mormon. YAY!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.