Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: September 03, 2014 12:19PM

My children are probably learning this is LDS Seminary.

https://www.lds.org/manual/doctrine-and-covenants-student-manual/enrichments/enrichment-l-the-law-of-consecration-and-stewardship?lang=eng

"Sacrifice is the principle through which the individual is able to practice the law of consecration. Elder Bruce R. McConkie explained: “I shall now set forth some of the principles of sacrifice and consecration to which the true saints must conform if they are ever to go where God and Christ are and have an inheritance with the faithful saints of ages past.

“… The law of sacrifice is a celestial law; so is the law of consecration. …

“Sacrifice and consecration are inseparably intertwined. The law of consecration is that we consecrate our time, our talents, and our money and property to the cause of the Church; such are to be available to the extent they are needed to further the Lord’s interests on earth.

“The law of sacrifice is that we are willing to sacrifice all that we have for the truth’s sake—our character and reputation; our honor and applause; our good name among men; our houses, lands, and families; all things, even our very lives if need be.

“Joseph Smith said, ‘A religion that does not require the sacrifice of all things never has power sufficient to produce the faith necessary [to lead] unto life and salvation.’ (Lectures on Faith, p. 58.)"

And the truth of the matter is that "the Lord’s interests on earth" are the interests of a vast corporation that doesn't care about my kids as individuals. It doesn't focus on the one but on the many. It extracts total obedience and exacts from them what it will by a fraud of "continuing revelation."

So people like John Dehlin are playing a losing game. Elder Bruce R. McConkie said, "true saints must conform" and there is zero wiggle room for anyone who wants to consider them such.

He might retain his membership but it doesn't matter. Whatever he gains from the Mormon culture it is probably just the fallout from Mormons trying to be individuals in the face of "sacrifice and consecration." These twin doctrines make up the beating heart of LDS Inc. and while LDS Inc. wraps them up in a Heartsell Spirit of God burning bosoms, the truth of the matter is clear. The organization is going to get these promises and then if you don't keep them to The Devil with you!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/03/2014 12:19PM by Elder Berry.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: September 03, 2014 06:18PM

“Joseph Smith said, ‘A religion that does not require the [members to] sacrifice of all things [unto TSCC] never has power sufficient to produce the faith necessary [to lead] unto life and salvation.’ (Lectures on Faith, p. 58.)"

"REQUIRE"! Enough.

He wiggled all right - all through the night... and his wife found out.

Sleeze bag

Date: September 04, 2014 04:55PM

This concept is where LDS Inc. holds all the cards. It is the most dangerous aspect of it. This excludes all non-members and all non-sacrificing-of-all-things members from the religion and places the "religion" in the form of its supreme leader in the place of a God.

Caesar and ever other totalitarian uncontested leader, and dictator has had this power and in a series of supreme leaders it eventually leads to tyranny.

http://www.unrv.com/fall-republic/caesar-the-god.php

Besides the fact that to ask for this kind of sacrifice like Smith did was doing it wrong epically and tyrannically.

The words of God should be sufficient to inspire that kind of sacrifice if one is a believer, but to embody it in a man is tyranny. Even in words it can be tyranny but there often is obviously a culture of people who demand too much of individuals behind their words of God.

Posted by: want2bx ( )
Date: September 04, 2014 05:04PM

Apparently, the "Lord's interests on earth" consist of shopping malls, apartment buildings and a significant portion of the state of Florida. Who knew?

Date: September 05, 2014 12:58PM

Well the octogenarians in charge have loads of wiggle room. Just look at Monson's ears! Now I understand the buying of Florida.

Date: September 05, 2014 05:12PM

That is why I wiggled right out of there, in adolescence.

Give everything to the church that is supposed to have it all anyway? RED FLAG! Big one!

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: September 05, 2014 05:52PM

The church will take all the true conformists it can get. But it will also settle for as many of those who are merely loyal enough to keep paying tithing, fulfilling callings, birthing more members, and otherwise keeping the scam rolling along.

Posted by: bvd ( )
Date: September 05, 2014 06:35PM

The stake pres and bishop know my stance on the church. They know I associate with and support "apostate" groups, don't keep the wow, don't support the prophet etc. etc. etc. 10 years ago I probably would be disfellowshipped or xed, but now they "look past" my "problems" and still are offering me callings.

Date: September 05, 2014 06:38PM

bvd Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> They know I associate with and support
> "apostate" groups, don't keep the wow, don't
> support the prophet etc. etc. etc.

I doubt they are offering you callings to teach others. Maybe to come clean their toilets?

Posted by: bvd ( )
Date: September 05, 2014 06:40PM

11 year old scouts, which I actually did for a few months, and recently ward historian with DW. And yes, cleaning toilets was "assigned" to me :)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/05/2014 06:40PM by bvd.

Date: September 05, 2014 09:24PM

I just like (OP) "wiggle", things that wiggle, wiggle rooms... wiggling.

Date: September 08, 2014 01:37PM

Joseph Smith liked wiggling I think...

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.