Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: caedmon ( )
Date: May 25, 2013 09:14AM

As a non-Mormon I've only generally been aware of garments. I've seen pics online and get the occasional peek from when the pants are riding too low or blouse slips and the male Mormon "smile". But last night at the gym a woman was changing into her gym clothes in full view. Her garments were ill fitting and in need of a good bleach. They detracted from her figure. I understand now why they are such a turn off.

I feel even more sorry for my daughter who must wear clothes that conceal her garments but also her slim attractive figure. How can anyone feel sexy and alluring in underwear designed old men?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/25/2013 09:15AM by caedmon.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: warrior princess ( )
Date: May 25, 2013 10:33AM

You cant be attractive in them. Besides being fully covered in the bedroom, you are competing with scantilly clad women all over the media. So I guess your mate gets to see nothing of your body when a mo. But gets to see a whole lot of other peoples. It makes no sense.

Posted by: hope ( )
Date: May 25, 2013 10:59AM

I met with 2 friends of mine last Saturday...sisters both that converted and deconverted a few years later. One sister still had all her "garb"...everything from the garments to the apron. I didn't get that far in my stint (thank gawd) as a Mormon, but she showed me the whole get-up - from the garments (which, IMO, could be comfy on certain occasions), but the temple clothing - the green apron, the bonnet-looking piece, the sash...all of it is just utterly frickin' ridiculous!

Posted by: Athena ( )
Date: May 25, 2013 12:38PM

Many religions have special clothing that its members must wear, usually to signify their membership in that religion. Think of the hijab, yamulke, nun's habit, Buddhist monks' robes, etc.

Some religions have special clothing that is only worn during religious ceremonies, like a Catholic priest's alb or any of the special robes worn by spiritual practicioners of the 19th century.

What distinguishes the Mormon garments, in my opinion, is that nobody is supposed to see them. A Catholic priest wears a collar to show the world that he is a priest. A Muslim woman wears a hijab to represent her values publicly. Mormon garments represent something secret and hidden. It's a combination of "family secret" and "we all belong to the same special club." It says nothing to the larger world about who Mormons are as a people.

Of course, that was the idea...

Posted by: hope ( )
Date: May 25, 2013 02:06PM

Good point well taken on the secrecy. I would feel "silly" wearing the clothing (they showed me the ritual of how they are put on), definitely not proud of one's faith. "Demeaning" comes to mind.

Posted by: Ragnar ( )
Date: May 25, 2013 12:58PM

And remember that Mormons are taught to virtually WORSHIP these 'garments'. They cannot touch the floor, are only to be taken off for bathing (and perhaps sex, after which they must immediately be returned to the body - which often leads to no cuddling afterwards), must be treated with respect, and have prescribed methods for disposal (carefully cutting away emblems, and solemnly burning them in private).

Of all the strange religious clothing, this has got to be the weirdest...

Posted by: Athena ( )
Date: May 25, 2013 01:01PM

Are these items of clothing or American flags?

Posted by: Ragnar ( )
Date: May 25, 2013 01:12PM

At least with flags you can see them and discuss the meaning of their construction and symbols. With Mormon underwear, they are NOT to be seen nor discussed by outsiders (and often by non-temple endowed Mormons, either). In the old days (when many people didn't have clothes dryers) we were told to never hang them on outside clothes lines, in case someone might see them (especially - heaven forbid - a NONMormon!). They were to be hung and dried inside the house/apartment. The symbols on Mormon underwear are sacred AND secret.

Posted by: Lydia ( )
Date: May 25, 2013 01:19PM

I NEVER knew we weren't meant to hang them on the clothes line!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Opps

Posted by: gentlestrength ( )
Date: May 25, 2013 01:49PM

Garments were easy for me to get rid of, I despised them from the start and associated them with my last straw. The temple rituals. I knew I could not keep being Mormon after that, just needed to escape the gravity of the Sun somehow.

Not much experience with garments and lovers. The women I dated loved being sexy, I think sexy is beyond just clothing, but it certainly is part of sexy.

Women that deceive their daughters about Mormon garments are so complicit to my understanding.

Posted by: sha'dynasty ( )
Date: May 25, 2013 02:10PM

The second I realized that I would be expected to wear garments in the future was the same moment that I knew I would never wear them. Call it a personal revelation.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.