Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Anon for this ( )
Date: May 21, 2013 09:35PM

In what could be the most bold move of the year by a primary leader, a sister in my unit scrapped the hierarchy mandated sharing time lesson on tithing from the primary outline, replacing it with a well researched lesson on Frances Monson, the late wife of LDS church president. And it wasn't a "your role as a woman is to raise kids and support yor husband" take. It was rather feministic.

As many on this board are aware, the church does not smile upon deviation from assigned topics and discourages the use of outside materials.

Very little is known about Frances Monson. The primary leader was upset that in the official church release on her passing, everything that was said was in relation to her husband, as if she was a non-entity, just like Heavenly Mother, simply there to live for her husband, nothing special or unique about her in particular, her life boiled down as to how it relates to her husband. So she took matters into her own hands.

What resulted was a vey interesting lesson on aspects of Frances Monson's life that remain largely unknown to others: her college education, her four years of courtship, her handling of family finances and taxes, etc. The primary leader had to really search hard to find anything.

This was one of the most refreshing sharing times ever.

I received permission from this primary leader to post about this. I'm very proud of her courage. Please weigh in on what you think of her actions so I can provide her some feedback.

As we left primary, she whispered, "We can have a lesson on tithing another time." LOL

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: frogdogs ( )
Date: May 21, 2013 09:46PM

My first thought (one of my favorite quotes from the movie "Joe vs. The Volcano"):

"You're coming into focus, kid."

Big changes can start with little steps. Good for her.

Date: May 21, 2013 10:17PM

Posted by: stbleaving ( )
Date: May 21, 2013 09:55PM

Go, awesome primary leader!

Please congratulate her on setting a good example for the kids by giving a well-researched, truthful, positive lesson.

Date: May 21, 2013 10:18PM

Posted by: stbleaving ( )
Date: May 21, 2013 10:26PM

Yup! The human brain, when utilized correctly, is a glorious thing.

Date: May 21, 2013 11:59PM

Posted by: dazed11 ( )
Date: May 22, 2013 12:35AM

Good for her. I thought the articles on her in the church newsroom and the Deseret News were terrible. They even interviewed her daughter and all she talked about was how her Mom supported her Dad. Not even a funny story about a vacation they took or something like that.

Posted by: pigsinzen ( )
Date: May 22, 2013 11:43AM

I wonder if she has been reprimanded yet.

Posted by: MexMom ( )
Date: May 22, 2013 11:52AM

That was refreshing to read. She has my thanks!

Posted by: Once More ( )
Date: May 22, 2013 11:52AM

That sort of presentation should have been done for Frances Monson while she was alive.

There have been lots of presentations about her husband, (what was his name again?), but none of substance about Frances.

Posted by: Boomer ( )
Date: May 22, 2013 02:14PM

I left so long ago I had no idea if Mrs. M. was living, dead, or what. I was always angered by how tscc idolized the wife of the current profit, and then when the profit died the wife was cast into total obscurity. At best, in a few years there would be a brief notice in "Church News" that she'd passed away. But while her husband was on top, the wife was praised, idealized, coated with gold. The throw-away tactic has also been used for the men; Bruce McConkie, whose books were virtually scripture 40 years ago, has vanished. This lunatic church doesn't know what it believes or who it admires.

Posted by: tig ( )
Date: May 22, 2013 02:22PM

If only there were more like that!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.