Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: September 01, 2014 09:17AM

So, a big push for temple marriage is to seal up families for eternity.

My ex resigned years ago. I resigned years ago. Of course, there was no temple costume on him in the casket,thank goodness. Funeral wasn't in a church as was his wish. But, it didn't stop all the mormon talk about eternal families, and all the relatives he was now reunited with.

So, if they really believe that, why the requirement to be a mormon sealed up in the temple?

Just some musings as I continue to process everything from the past few weeks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: zaphodbeeblebrox ( )
Date: September 01, 2014 09:39AM

Re-Uniting with Lost Loved Ones is Pre-Mormon, Pre-Christian, and Pre-Judaism ...

G-d H-ms-lf Only Knows How Far Back That Goes, Ancient Sumeria, for All I Know!

As Far as The Mormon Beliefs Go, That May be Just Reflex ...

Anyone Else, Have a Better Read on it?

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: September 01, 2014 09:41AM

he will now accept the "truth" and that he will be changed to straight.

I always wonder these things especially since I lost my parents 5-1/2 years ago within 2 months of each other.

I know you've lost both your parents, too. Some days I wonder more than others, but something like your ex's death brings up all kinds of other issues especially for a mormon.

And, of course, they feel like now they can redo his work.

I should add in here that I want to believe in an afterlife, so I leave my options open. But I DO NOT believe if there is an afterlife that gays will be changed to straight. I wouldn't do that to my ex.

Date: September 01, 2014 10:06AM

Well, back when I got divorced I went to the bishop and asked how I could get a temple divorce. He told me they don't do that anymore and that it will all be worked out in the eternities. So, then I asked him if that meant that my ex would be turned straight after he died? Deer in the headlights look from Bishop. All I know is that my ex would be very angry if that were the case.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: September 01, 2014 11:04AM

The majority of Christians expect to be reunited with their families and other loved ones in the afterlife. It is a fundamental Christian belief. There are other religions and cultures that have believed this as well. The belief probably goes back to the dawn of mankind. Many people take comfort in it.

Posted by: michaelc1945 ( )
Date: September 01, 2014 11:38AM

I believe one of the functions of religion is to provide comfort to us while we live and to those we leave behind when we die.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: September 01, 2014 11:40AM

and I may be wrong--is if he is going to telestial kingdom and has been a sinner, then in MORMON MINDS, why would he be meeting up with people? Is that correct? The mormons were talking as though he was one of them?

This has got to be really mind bending for your children.

Date: September 01, 2014 01:20PM

They don't know how to handle that doctrine...mind bending for sure.

Posted by: PapaKen ( )
Date: September 01, 2014 01:26PM

Gemini, I'll agree with TBMs who might say your ex is in a FAR better place, but for a different reason: Now he's free from having to deal with mormonism/LD$ inc.

I hope you'll have a chance to rest after all the difficult situations you were faced with.

PapaKen

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.