Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: fluhist ( )
Date: September 01, 2014 04:40AM

Thankyou SO much to the thread that led me to the download of this book. I have been out of the church for many years but had never read it. I am truly FLABBERGASTED. Even if this woman was only right in 10% of what she says (which I don't think she is, she was THERE and is VERY creditable in how she expresses herself), it is all just AWFUL. And I was part of that sham? Dear God No!! And I say that with all the meaning I can put into it! I want to feel guilty for perpetuating the lie that it was, but I can't because I know I was as much a victim of it as anyone else.

I am really, honestly shocked and reeling with this. I will use this forum to say what I would say to the world if I could. I am SO sorry for any part I played in this abortion they call tscc.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Mormon Observer ( )
Date: September 01, 2014 06:59AM

I could only get through a little bit of it, a few chapters.

It was appalling. I was struck by how the young lady survived and when she first met Joseph he was talking about getting the BOM from an angel, but not necessarily seeing God and told not to join any specific church.

The social structure was typical Victorian. The lady must have been very attractive for BY to defend her to the group.
Once she had the backing of the Prophet and his cronies she was in and the women had to move over for her and let her eat at the same table as them.

What a horrible society to isolate a woman alone and put such heavy restrictions on her. Dance our dance or starve.

Kudoes to be being able to finish the book.

I'm horrified to find out the perfidy of the Church and even more upset to learn all the heavy armed undermining of my parental teachings my children were put through at church by their teachers.

No wonder the TSCC never wanted me to teach the youth or children! I might have taught them about Gods love and how to find love to bless your life through living a service to others through kindness and tolerance, not bigotry and selfish shunning.

Posted by: Book of Mordor ( )
Date: September 01, 2014 11:15AM

Which book were you reading? Ann Eliza never met or knew Joseph Smith. She was born two and a half months after he died.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: September 01, 2014 07:23AM

I only read a few chapters, but it was enough. What happened to her was appalling.

Posted by: Reader ( )
Date: September 01, 2014 01:52PM

Here is an excerpt (seems the magic was lost early on):

"The Mormon Church, in its earliest days , cannot be fairly judged by the Mormon Church of the present time, which retains none of its early simplicity, and which seems to have lost sight entirely of the fundamental principles on which it was built."

Young, Ann Eliza (2014-08-10). Wife No. 19: The Story of a Life in Bondage, Being a Complete Exposé of Mormonism, and Revealing the Sorrows, Sacrifices and Sufferings of Women in Polygamy (Illustrated) (Kindle Locations 215-217). Enhanced Media. Kindle Edition.

Date: September 01, 2014 04:34PM

Pretty interesting stuff:

About this time the Danite bands were first organized , for the purpose of plundering and harassing the people of the surrounding country. I have been told this by a person who heard the oaths administered at a meeting of the band in Daviess County . They were instructed to go out on the borders of the Settlements, and take the spoils from the " ungodly Gentiles" for was it not written, "The riches of the Gentiles shall be consecrated to the people of the house of Israel?"

Young, Ann Eliza (2014-08-10). Wife No. 19: The Story of a Life in Bondage, Being a Complete Exposé of Mormonism, and Revealing the Sorrows, Sacrifices and Sufferings of Women in Polygamy (Illustrated) (Kindle Locations 387-390). Enhanced Media. Kindle Edition.

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: September 01, 2014 01:54PM

Wife No. 19 is Ann Eliza's book. The 19th Wife is a novel inspired by Ann Eliza's book.

Posted by: fluhist ( )
Date: September 02, 2014 12:33AM

Thanks greyfort, I didn't know about the new novel.

Posted by: lunarquaker ( )
Date: September 02, 2014 08:59PM

Date: September 02, 2014 10:45PM

I got the free kindle version and started to underline -- it is so good, I have the entire book underlined. It rings so true with my own mormon experience. I think she nailed it here:

"The God of the Mormon belief was not the heavenly Father whose love the Saviour taught, but a jealous God, a cruel, avenging Spirit, who demanded blood-offerings to appease his awakened wrath. He was not the tender Parent, all-wise, all-powerful, and all-loving, whom she reverenced and adored. There was little use in looking towards her people's God for help or comfort. Retribution, and justice untempered by mercy, were all He had for His subjects, not children."

Young, Ann Eliza (2014-08-10). Wife No. 19: The Story of a Life in Bondage, Being a Complete Exposé of Mormonism, and Revealing the Sorrows, Sacrifices and Sufferings of Women in Polygamy (Illustrated) (Kindle Locations 1148-1151). Enhanced Media. Kindle Edition.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.