Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: BYUboner ( )
Date: September 01, 2014 02:35AM

Crazy sh!t my bishops have said:

I know that the church is hurting your marriage, but I've got to protect the interests of the church...

You're not interested in getting married because you masturbate. When you stop having sex with yourself, you'll be motivated to get married so you can have sex...

Just tell me if this represents a full tithe!...Just pull out your checkbook and write me a check for ward budget!...

I don't know why you keep masturbating, it's not like it's a pleasurable experience...WTF!!! I couldn't make that up if I tried!

Boner.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Tom Padley ( )
Date: September 01, 2014 02:44AM

When my wife was unable to get pregnant our bishop suggested that we go to a dirty movie to get her in the mood. What an bizarre thing to say, and he was a descendant of Hyrum Smith. It wasn't her mood, it was her messed up reproductive system.

Later on another bishop said my depression could be cured by reading the scriptures. Prozac worked a lot better. Scriptures just made me more depressed.

Just a sampling of many dumb things bishops have said.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: September 01, 2014 05:04AM

While reading the scriptures might not cure depression, they are absolute dynamite for curing insomnia.

Posted by: rhgc ( )
Date: September 01, 2014 06:45AM

Especially the BoM.

Posted by: fluhist ( )
Date: September 01, 2014 04:45AM

Heh heh, SORRY I know this is all really serious stuff and TOTAL abuse of any sort of power, but you have to admit it is HILARIOUS. And to think we bought it!!

Posted by: More Moon ( )
Date: September 01, 2014 06:39AM

When I tearfully told my BP that my husband was a cross dresser, after I'd spent five years getting up the courage to discuss it with a BP, he told me

"If you were more of a woman, he'd be more of a man."

That hurt for years.
Now I wouldn't mention it to a BP and if I got such an asinine reply I'd ask him to tell me how to be "more of a woman"!!!

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: September 01, 2014 01:05PM

THAT'S why there is the OW movement. Limiting these leadership
positions to men only perpetuates misogynistic insanity.

Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: September 01, 2014 04:55PM

I'd like to think that's true, but I'm not convinced that mormon women would do a whole lot better.

Perhaps if they gave up the lay ministry? It is the blind leading the blind after all.

Posted by: fluhist ( )
Date: September 01, 2014 08:20AM

UNBELEIVABLE More Moon!!!!!!. He deserves a kick in his ummmmmm 'more of a man - place" if you get my drift!!!

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: September 01, 2014 11:38AM

Young and newly married, we asked our Bishop if oral sex was OK.

The bishop replied (I kid you not):

Why would a young couple even think of doing that?

Posted by: llimi ( )
Date: September 01, 2014 01:34PM

My SP told me something similar when The Guilt got a hold of me and I had to call him to confess to some pre-mish oral sex. How terribly sad for them.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: September 01, 2014 11:41AM

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: September 01, 2014 11:42AM

I had a good friend who became a bishop. He was one who talked me into marrying my gay ex.

When I went to him after I found out my ex was cheating on me, he told me that my ex wouldn't have cheated if I had given him enough sex.

I've asked this before--how much STRAIGHT SEX does a gay man need so that he won't cheat with other men?

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: September 01, 2014 11:48AM

cl2 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> my ex wouldn't have cheated if I had given him enough sex.

What a completely stupid thing to say. How can anyone even think like that? How can someone even think of blaming the person who has been wronged?

What kind of sick organization did we belong to? What the hell was I thinking when I joined?

God, it's good to be out. And they work to try and bring us back. No way in hell, boys. No way in hell.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: September 01, 2014 11:48AM

Oh boy. He was really on one!
I wonder, if you presented him with those quotes what he would say? Would he deny them?

Posted by: MarkJ ( )
Date: September 01, 2014 11:55AM

When I announced to my bishop that I was giving up my calling as I knew the church was not true, he replied that in the next life my wife would be taken from me and given to another man. Long after that, I realized that he probably lusted for her himself.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: September 01, 2014 12:05PM

I would never follow a bishop, even down a dead end road in the dark. They are supposed to care about the sheep, yet they have not even been trained as a/ the shepherd.

Some of the worst guidance in the world comes from a bishop. It they could think for themselves, maybe it would be possible. If they could think, it might be possible. If they would simply take a breath and listen to themselves, the "guidance" and "counseling" might be wholly different. If they meditated (listened to the silence, the SSV, the spirit), they might have a chance at understanding, compassion, leadership.

Boy the arrogance, the thoughtless, the dark oaths and paths.

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: September 01, 2014 12:19PM

I have two friends who were advised to leave their husbands. One because he was a non-member and she wouldn't be able to fulfil the things she came here to do.

The other was a friend who was in a 5-year unconsummated marriage. Of course that wouldn't produce any Mormon children.

(It finally came out that he was gay. In her Mormon naive state, her logic told her that he couldn't possibly be gay, because then why would he have married her?)

Posted by: PapaKen ( )
Date: September 01, 2014 01:44PM

That sounds EXACTLY like what happened to a very close gay friend of mine (years ago) in So Cal. He married because the church told him to, but the marriage was unconsummated the whole time. He told me he thought sex (the hetero kind) was so disgusting that he couldn't bring himself to even try with his wife.

Her bishop told her to leave him. But I don't think she ever did. Eventually he died of AIDS. I'd lost contact with them since I was focused on trying to make my own hetero marriage work. One of my strongest regrets is not being able to be any kind of support to my friend during his hour of need. I didn't find out he was even sick until after he was gone. :(

Posted by: NewPerspective ( )
Date: September 01, 2014 12:45PM

I've had some really awful advice from bishops. One of the most ridiculous (and not harmful):
"If you want help from the church, you have to sell your washer and dryer first."
Whaat?!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/01/2014 01:26PM by NewPerspective.

Posted by: deco ( )
Date: September 01, 2014 01:18PM

"show me how you masturbate" might top the list.

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: September 01, 2014 03:30PM

Because he wanted to learn how?

Date: September 01, 2014 05:25PM

Stray Mutt Wrote:
> Because he wanted to learn how?

Because he was a Perv.

Posted by: beyondashadow ( )
Date: September 01, 2014 01:20PM

Advice to me from my Bishop. My eternal companion did eventually get pregnant accidentally. She couldn't get herself to an abortion doctor fast enough. The thought of being a mother horrified her.

Posted by: L Tom Petty ( )
Date: September 01, 2014 01:21PM

"If you go to the temple, the Lord will bless you with a job."

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: September 01, 2014 01:37PM

LOL. Yeah, a church job.

Posted by: PapaKen ( )
Date: September 01, 2014 01:37PM

In SLC, red-necked Bishop Banks announced, in a ward council meeting, that there were too many fairies (his word) living in the ward.

Now, I'm wondering just how many fairies is "too many."

He added that he could tell if someone was a fairy a mile away.

He said that while I (a gay man) was sitting about 6 feet away.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/01/2014 01:48PM by PapaKen.

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: September 01, 2014 01:46PM

It's what one can expect from a bunch of amateur advice givers.

Date: September 01, 2014 01:55PM

Stray Mutt Wrote:
> It's what one can expect from a bunch of amateur
> advice givers.

This^^^^^

How many people have been seriously harmed because of the contrived credibility given to these clowns?

When homosexual persons are authoritatively counseled to marry and have children with heterosexual persons, there is going to be a lot of damage to a lot of people.

Posted by: beyondashadow ( )
Date: September 01, 2014 03:50PM

Posted by: caedmon ( )
Date: September 01, 2014 01:55PM

It astonishes me what silly minor things Mormons will run to their bishop for guidance about.

Once I was telling a friend about relatively small personal problem. She advised me to consult the bishop.

Hmmmm........why would I do that? First, I'm not mormon. Second, he's a computer programmer IRL. Why would I talk to him about anything other than my computer?

Mormons brag about their unpaid clergy. But I think unpaid equals untrained and unprofessional. Certainly they are unqualified to help anyone through any major life difficulty.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/01/2014 01:56PM by caedmon.

Posted by: austrobrit ( )
Date: September 01, 2014 03:24PM

Did anyone else get careers advice?

Apparently I wasn't clever enough for the universities I wanted to go to. He made some suggestions for my university admissions statement/mini-essay. For some reason now unknown to me, I gave him a draft to read.

Thankfully my teacher laughed at the 'improvements'.

The surprise now is not that he gave bad advice, but that I was so willing to let this person have so much control.

Posted by: HangarXVIII ( )
Date: September 01, 2014 04:35PM

"Lying to me is like lying to God" was his response to me after I told him I didn't know what masturbation was. I was 12.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.