Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: soju (logged out) ( )
Date: August 31, 2014 12:58PM

I saw this brought up on another board and I'm curious. There have been a number of ponzi schemes run by mormons. Does the church ex people who are convicted of these kid of scams? My guess is that the church doesn't care, but I don't actually have any experience with this.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: rescueranger ( )
Date: August 31, 2014 01:09PM

If they did, they wouldn't be able to claim 15 million members.

Posted by: upsidedown ( )
Date: August 31, 2014 01:26PM

No. I personally know men serving jail time for being convicted of fraud (ponzi scheme). He was never disciplined or ex-ed from the lovely organization. His parents were not convicted but everyone knew that they were high up partners in the scheme and were wealthy because of it.

The members who have nothing to show for their investment in the ward still go up each sunday and say howdy and slap them on the back and talk and laugh with them. They should be slapping them in the face and demanding their money back.

Mormons like to be victims...it's their happy place.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: August 31, 2014 02:07PM

And did he go on a non-proselyting mission to Hawaii? This kind of stuff fascinates me.

Posted by: Linda M. ( )
Date: August 31, 2014 01:29PM

No. Those people are somehow given a "Noble" status. Seriously. The bigger the scam the more important these people are in the Mormon culture.

Posted by: misterzelph ( )
Date: August 31, 2014 01:32PM

If part of their ill gotten gains goes to tithing the TSCC won't touch them.

Posted by: brook ( )
Date: August 31, 2014 01:35PM

TSCC is a fraud in and of itself.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: August 31, 2014 01:36PM

Check here for some info. This is a good summary. Not everything is black and white and sometimes there are circumstances that result in a different outcome.

Scroll down to: Qualifying Offences. Mandatory disciplinary council
Fraud is listed under #1

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disciplinary_council

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: August 31, 2014 02:08PM

Funny how they don't seem to be willing to follow their own directives.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: August 31, 2014 01:38PM

amen to all the "No's" above;

I was a victim of a TBM fraud, and one of closest ward friends (a couple) had a few $100 k stolen by another member;

outcome/result/consequences from the Corp: Nothing

Posted by: HangarXVIII ( )
Date: August 31, 2014 01:47PM

It depends on how much money the fraudster makes and how much tithing revenue he/she brings to the cult. Just look at John Swallow for example.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/31/2014 01:48PM by hangar18.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: August 31, 2014 01:50PM

The general answer is: any felony conviction results in automatic excommunication. After they serve their sentence and are active for a year they can apply to re-join the LDS Church. Except for murder.

Posted by: Platypus ( )
Date: August 31, 2014 10:42PM

There have been convicted child molesters with felony convictions that were never excommunicated.

Posted by: goldenrule ( )
Date: August 31, 2014 11:23PM

Not true. Top leadership in my ward was busted for criminal al fraudulent schemes, theft, etc. felonies. They went to jail but were not excommunicated.

Posted by: Dorothy ( )
Date: August 31, 2014 02:02PM

Excommunications are willy nilly as far as I can tell. If you're a pain or an embarrassment--out you go.

Posted by: anonymous1234 ( )
Date: August 31, 2014 02:07PM

A relative of mine was convicted of felony embezzlement, perpetrated the crime over years. He was not excommunicated but he was disfellowshiped.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: August 31, 2014 04:29PM

It can't x itself

The EX-CoJCoLDS

Posted by: southern Idaho inactive ( )
Date: August 31, 2014 04:33PM

Well if did they'd have to ex themselves as well!

Posted by: axeldc ( )
Date: August 31, 2014 04:38PM

Stealing from ordinary people is not that big of a deal, not compared to claiming women are human beings or gays should be allowed civil rights. Stealing from the church, well, that's an automatic excommunication.

Posted by: Elwood ( )
Date: August 31, 2014 04:50PM

Years ago I knew a guy that pled guilty in federal court to fraud charges, and did a few years in prison. When he went away, his wife would tell anyone that would listen that hubby was innocent and the proof was he still had his temple recommend when he went to prison. Now, I don't know that to be true but I can certainly see some bishop believing this guy's line of BS - he was very good at it - that he was innocent, it was his partner, etc. Or it could be that the wife was lying her ass off too.

I looked them up a while ago and both hubby and wife were in trouble with the feds on tax issues. But they probably still have temple recommends.

Posted by: jpt ( )
Date: August 31, 2014 04:52PM

Men are usually needed to fill priesthood roles. So, no. But, if a women was involved in fraud.....

Posted by: Paul the Apostle ( )
Date: August 31, 2014 04:53PM

The Brethren have a "friends and family" rule, meaning, if you are a "friend" (which usually means a super-wealthy Member who gives money to the Church beyond tithing or his family), or a family member, you can rape your own daughter, still 10 million dollars from the Members, kill dogs and cats in your spare time, run an underage sex ring, and YOU WILL NEVER BE EXED!!!!! You might be put on "probation" but you'll never...ever...be exed.

Posted by: tshirtmaxidress ( )
Date: August 31, 2014 09:58PM

No, they call them to be MPs. They are already thrilled that they can lie and keeps secrets.

Posted by: thingsithink ( )
Date: August 31, 2014 10:19PM

No, they baptize them.

Posted by: orange ( )
Date: August 31, 2014 11:19PM

To be fair, I don't think many religions in general "ex" their adherents based on felonies or other crimes. In fact religious organizations try to sell their snake oil in prisons. Think about it...it's a perfect place to recruit. Many prisoners have mental disorders already. They are just concentrated in one area, so you just save money on gas trying to find them wandering the streets and sleeping on park benches.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/31/2014 11:36PM by orange.

Posted by: forestpal ( )
Date: September 01, 2014 03:04AM

Our neighbor committed fraud, big-time (the scandal made all the newspapers), and caused 4 other neighbors to lose their houses. They had mortgaged their houses to buy into the fraudulent business. When everyone had to move away, the bishop and his wife gave a big open house for--no, not the neighbors who had been victimized--but for the neighbor who had perpetrated the scheme.

Fraud is rewarded, especially if tithes have been paid.

Posted by: WillieBoy ( )
Date: September 01, 2014 10:05AM

Paul Dunn was never kicked out.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: September 01, 2014 10:31AM

now that they (general rule?) don't announce ex-coms, it's harder to tell.

btw, ex-coms used to be published in the Church News

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: September 01, 2014 10:32AM

Not if they are General Authorities.

They utilise the "emiritus status" whereby the offender gets sidelined quietly but gets to keep their financial support from the Church.

I suspect this is done as part of a compromise agreement so that any skeletons are kept firmly in the cupboard.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/01/2014 10:34AM by Stumbling.

Posted by: rhgc ( )
Date: September 01, 2014 10:33AM

The entire leadership would need to be x'd.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: September 01, 2014 11:12AM

If it is in the news and it looks bad if they don't, they will discipline.

If it is under the mainstream radar where they can allow "repent and repeat" they will try to handle it themselves with the pray, pay and obey routine.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.