Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: August 31, 2014 12:35PM

This has been quite a week. The viewing on Friday night was very nice. I was surprised to see a few BYU former collegues of his. They were gracious in their praise of him as a co-worker and scientist.

There were some flower arrangements sent from some of his gay friends in southern CA and my children were very touched by the gestures of kindness. They were surprised by it. I wasn't.

Saturday morning was the funeral and his 4 children spoke and grandchildren sang. Not a dry eye in the room. Some of his estranged siblings likely were surprised at the love the children and grandchildren had for their dad and grandpa.

A long drive to Idaho for the buriel in his hometown. A few friends from there showed up at the cemetery. Sad goodbyes.

Also a very surprising discussion. A close family relative (on his side of the family) disclosed to me their son just came out to them as a gay man. They asked me to please talk to them and help them understand what they don't understand. They are TBM.

Now that everything is over, I am feeling emotional and sad at this loss for all of us in our family. My children had all re-established a good relationship with him over the years.

Thank you all for your kind wishes.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: August 31, 2014 12:40PM

I've tried to find his obituary, but haven't been able to.

This is one of my fears--facing the death of my ex. I hope I go before him.

I'm glad things went well. I'm rather speechless. Not really knowing what to say. So many mixed emotions. Not many people can understand what our journeys have been like and the death of your ex has made me so sad, though I didn't know him.

I'm glad that your relatives felt they could come to you for help.

So, he was estranged from his siblings? That is really sad.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/31/2014 12:41PM by cl2.

Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: August 31, 2014 05:03PM

C12 I posted a link on the FB page.

Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: August 31, 2014 12:45PM

So glad the funeral went the way it should have and that you seem to feel peaceful about it. How good that the couple asked you about their gay son. Hope they don't get advice from the bishop as well. I know your words to them would have been valuable. All the best.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: August 31, 2014 01:39PM

Happy to hear things went well. Sounds like a very emotional service. What an opportunity to be asked to reach out to someone else.

Posted by: In a hurry ( )
Date: August 31, 2014 02:43PM

Thank you for posting an update, Gemini. Mr. Gemini, I think, would be pleased that his relatives spoke to you concerning their son. Circle of life.

My best wishes,
Saree

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: August 31, 2014 02:47PM

Hopefully you can start healing, work through the experience, and have a brighter future when you're ready.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: August 31, 2014 02:54PM

Sending comforting thoughts to you.

Thanks for sharing your story with him through the years. It is a perspective that is especially valuable.

I'm impressed at your ability to build good relationships with everyone involved.

Posted by: dejavue ( )
Date: August 31, 2014 05:02PM

I am so pleased to hear of the fine send off. I am proud of you and your children for their open love and support.

Two of my (out of the closet) gay friend passed away and never had services at all. One was attending BYU (and involved in Reparative Therapy.) Another, RM, and a victim of AIDS.

They were just put in the ground. No celebration of life for them.

For myself, When the time comes, I'm choosing cremation and have ashes scattered. Not wanting ceremony or be cause of additional or ongoing stir.

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: August 31, 2014 08:05PM

I'm glad the service was nice and that you and your kids will always have good memories. Your family showed the true meaning of the word.

Posted by: fluhist ( )
Date: September 01, 2014 04:35AM

So glad to hear you are sounding positive. It is a difficult time for you, I am thinking of you!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.