Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: brook ( )
Date: August 31, 2014 11:26AM

Seems that a lot of mature families look to adopt after they're done birthing children. Not just Mormons, but a lot of Christians, too. Any ideas on why this is trending?

Are they afraid of an empty nest? Wish they could have more but can't?

I understand wanting to adopt. But it seems that some couples just can't stop, they take it too far.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: imaworkinonit ( )
Date: August 31, 2014 02:43PM

I don't know any people who have done it.

I think it's wonderful when good parents take in foster kids after their own have grown up.

But as far as actually adopting young kids late in life? I guess it's okay if you are in good health and will live long enough to raise them.

I think some people keep having kids because they know how to do that and it gives them meaning in their lives. The transition from raising children to developing your own interests or careers is rough for some people, particularly women. I was talking to a neighbor recently who was clearly bothered that her last child was going to school and didn't know how to deal with it. She has a BUNCH of kids.

She ended up getting a job.

Posted by: Aquarius123 ( )
Date: August 31, 2014 03:15PM

I know a TBM couple, who, when their youngest of 4 was in high school, flew to a foreign country and spent a bundle to adopt 4 children. 2 of them really acted if something was horribly wrong with them for whatever reason. (behavior problems) the son in high school was stuck with baby sitting them on a daily basis. As soon as he got out of HS, he took off and joined the Navy-couldn't leave fast enough. Some think this through and they do it for the right reasons, and some don't.

Posted by: want2bx ( )
Date: August 31, 2014 03:57PM

I think Mormons (and Christians) may feel like they have a duty to raise as many children in the gospel as possible. It's sort of like missionary work, just with adoption.

Posted by: paintingintheWIN ( )
Date: August 31, 2014 07:31PM

not to be brutal, however, all foster parents are paid or receive monetary reimbursement for each child, as well as medical costs covered, in my county including orthodontics.

when a foster parent adopts, the medical continues until they reach 18, and in my county, the cash benefits continue.

In some families, when ones gives or sends ones' child or children are raised or collected by an auntie or cousin, that supplements or pays the home costs. If they are in some counties or cities and do not own a home, then the group is counted and they are eligible as well for section 8 housing assistance toward a rental property (it doesn't not have to be in a housing project at ALL)
My point is, in these collective families, the children may live at a higher standard of living than with a single unemployed or partially employed parent- withg no siblings and no child support. harsh- but there it is.

One of the most horribel things I ever heard a teen age student say, was "they think they're our family- nobody tells them" that her grandma adopted them from foster care & all of the cousins just, in this students' biased opinion re 'her blood family' fake it. The teen went on to state it helps her grandma because except for social security that's her income.

very harsh

lets hope its not true in the people nearest you

Posted by: Searcher ( )
Date: August 31, 2014 08:50PM

Adoption policies and prospective parent criteria were signinficantly loosened a few years ago, and it was pretty well
publicized by LDS Family Services. Age limits were dropped, prospective parents were given more flexibility concerning their personal health, weight, employment, etc. This was especially true of hard to place older children and special needs children.
Some people are becoming adoptive parents now because they did not qualify in the past. This is not a criticism of these people. Twenty five years ago, you could have been the best, most compassionate parent around but being forty pounds overweight disqualified you. No joke.

Posted by: johnnie ( )
Date: August 31, 2014 09:20PM

There are a lot of children out there without parents. I'm glad that there are people who are willing to raise them. All of society is better off when all children have loving homes.

Posted by: brook ( )
Date: August 31, 2014 09:25PM

But they're adopting baby girls from China.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.