Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: sherlock ( )
Date: August 31, 2014 10:46AM

While both from separate families, each are children of parents who are Second Anointing recipients and will themselves therefore be automatically assured exaltation along with their wives.

The conundrum for TSCC is that one is a diligent Stake President who attends all his countless meetings and is enduring to the end, while the other hasn't been active for many years and has no interest whatsoever in the church.

The latter recently married his non-member girlfriend thousands of miles away and his SP friend was able to attend the wedding.

What a peculiar situation that according to mormon doctrine both will end up in the highest degree of the celestial kingdom - somewhat regardless of how they've lived their lives.

Now this would be an interesting discussion topic for a gospel doctrine class.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: OTTOWO ( )
Date: August 31, 2014 11:01AM

It's weird isn't it. Steve Benson is another who I assume is guaranteed heaven due to his grandfather.

Also David Cook has some inactive children I believe.

Infact, I bet altogether there are hundreds of people alive today who are guaranteed the Celestial Kingdom that don't go to church. Think of all the descendents of early church leaders. Some of them might not even know what a mormon is!

However most Mormons still don't know anything about this. If they did, I'm sure a lot of them wouldn't be very happy about it... No doubt that's why the church leaders keep all this secret.

Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: September 02, 2014 11:25PM

. . . by Grandpa ETB at one of our regualr General Conference-timed Benson family reunions.

The closest ETB ever came to telling us how great and marvelous the Bensons were in repeated a favorite family tale on how GA Alma Sonne said that the Benson clan was "second to none in the Church."

Whatever.

Posted by: raiku ( )
Date: August 31, 2014 11:06AM

The real qualification is loyalty to the men who lead the church, not to the church doctrine. Somehow they managed to kiss up enough to please their masters. Sounds more like how hell would be run than heaven.

Posted by: dimmesdale ( )
Date: August 31, 2014 01:28PM

second anointing that says your children will be saved in the Celestial Kingdom?

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: August 31, 2014 01:32PM

How do you know this?

Date: August 31, 2014 02:29PM

Our very own Tom P confirmed that your kids are guaranteed exaltation as part of the parent's blessing.

Posted by: Phazer ( )
Date: August 31, 2014 05:27PM

Does the parent blessing guarantee just the immediate family OR does it go beyond to the extended family.

For example, Hyrum Smith's great, great, grand daughter, Ida Smith, fell for a fraud in 2007 and was exed because she is now following another schism of Mormonism.

Will she be saved by Hyrum from outer darkness according to the Mormon doctrine?

Posted by: jiminycricket ( )
Date: August 31, 2014 06:11PM

Sherlock is right.

From Tom Phillips, My Second Anointing Experience: http://www.mormonthink.com/files/tom-phillips-second-anointing.pdf

QUOTE from the Second Anointing Ordinance:
"…and thou shalt have power to redeem thy progenitors and thou shalt have POWER OVER THY POSTERITY AND SHALL SAVE ALL OF THEM AND BRING THEM INTO THY KINGDOM…” (emphasis added)

If you have been to the temple, The Second Token of the Melchizedek Priesthood, the Patriarchal Grip, or Sure Sign of the Nail given just before passing through the veil has the following assigned name, “Health in the navel, marrow in the bones, strength in the loins and in the sinews, power in the Priesthood be upon me, AND UPON MY POSTERITY through all generations of time, and throughout all eternity.”

The word posterity is one’s descendants (not just immediate children). If the second anointing recipient is being anointed to a guaranteed status in a godhead (which in Mormon theology only happens in the highest degree of the celestial kingdom) then having power to "save all of them and bring them into thy kingdom" is self explanatory and requires little debate (imo).

Date: September 01, 2014 12:56AM

Thanks jiminycricket.

I guess at least one of my pioneer ancestors perhaps had the 2nd anointing. Seemed to be a lot more common among the higher ranks of the church 150 years ago than it is today. I guess I'm saved from darkness and the cold.

Posted by: caedmon ( )
Date: September 01, 2014 10:23AM

Who is the "thy" in "bring them into thy kingdom"?

Does that mean you will be their God when you achieve Godhood?

Posted by: nonsequiter ( )
Date: August 31, 2014 02:14PM

And yet everyone accuses mormons of believing they are only saved by works.

So which is it?

Posted by: nonmo_1 ( )
Date: September 01, 2014 10:33AM

I think it is that....UNTIL you or someone in your family gets that 2nd anointing...then it's a get out of jail free card...So Benson is still a candidate for CK exaltation??? Good for him.

Posted by: eunice ( )
Date: August 31, 2014 05:34PM

Is there any way to find out if you are a descendant of someone who received their second anointing? Hubby has numerous ancestors on both sides of the family who joined the church at the very beginning and who held somewhat higher callings.

Date: September 01, 2014 12:58AM

I suppose somewhere it might have been recorded. Good luck!

Posted by: eunice ( )
Date: September 01, 2014 03:07AM

According to this page, at least one set of hubby's great great great grandparents received their second anointing: http://www.lds-mormon.com/second_anointing_part4.shtml

So I guess hubby and kids are "saved" and we can use this the next time his parents start their "humble yourselves" and come back to the church BS, lol

Posted by: notamormon ( )
Date: September 01, 2014 10:18AM

Does this apply to bloodline only or to polygamous decedents who are related by 'marriage'.

Posted by: vh65 ( )
Date: September 01, 2014 12:30PM

Let us know how that is received. Do they even know about the 2nd anointing? Maybe, as Mormon royalty. But I didn't....

Posted by: White Cliffs ( )
Date: September 01, 2014 03:08AM

As I've said before, I don't think the Top 15 really believe in the Second Anointing. So why should anyone else? It appears to me to be an incentive for mid-level managers not to fall away from the church. The Top 15 undoubtedly have an entirely different set of rewards and controls among themselves.

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: September 01, 2014 10:22AM

I hope Adam and Eve received their second anointing, that way we're all covered....

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: September 01, 2014 10:22AM

When you think about it, the second anointing throws the plan of salvation under the bus....

Date: September 01, 2014 10:36AM

ya think...lol

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: September 01, 2014 10:36AM

The single largest group in the CK is still going to be children who died before age 8. The exalted Mormons will probably be expected to raise them as foster miniGods. No getting your own planet and no eternal nookie until you are released from that calling.

Wouldn't that be a kick in the teeth? :)

Date: September 01, 2014 10:39AM

So the CK is going to be like the book, The Lord of the Flies, where kids younger than 15 run the whole show??? That'll be entertaining to watch the the Terrestrial or Telestial Kingdom..

Posted by: Tom Phillips ( )
Date: September 01, 2014 10:44AM

And most of those who died before age 8 will be black (seed of Cain). How will racists such as BY feel about being outnumbered by blacks or other ethnicities?

Oh, of course, they will turn white as in the BoM. Silly me, how could I possibly doubt or consider there could possibly be any inconsistencies in the divine plan of an anthropomorphic, polygamous, horny, jealous, angry God who commands us to love him or face drastic consequences for eternity.

Just as well it is all made up.

The only answer to all the questions re church doctrine and history is - Joseph made it up and kept changing his mind.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: September 01, 2014 01:26PM

If Mormons would just believe and live for today they wouldn't have to worry so much what will happen tomorrow

Date: September 01, 2014 01:33PM

Tom - can you please confirm if the SA covers just immediate children or grandchildren, great grandchildren etc?

One would also assume that since LDS doctrine is that exaltation occurs in pairs, that current/future marriage partners of SA children are also automatically covered too.

If so, the never baptised wife of the less active is in the exact same eventual boat as the diligent, stressed out wife of the SP?

Clearly it's all nonsense anyway, but it's still fun to see such very real LDS inconsistencies in action.

Posted by: Tom Phillips ( )
Date: September 01, 2014 05:18PM

sherlock Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Tom - can you please confirm if the SA covers just
> immediate children or grandchildren, great
> grandchildren etc?
At the time I took it as covering children, not one would be lost, but on reflection it actually states POSTERITY.

> One would also assume that since LDS doctrine is
> that exaltation occurs in pairs, that
> current/future marriage partners of SA children
> are also automatically covered too.
Not necessarily spouses, but their children certainly = posterity.

> If so, the never baptised wife of the less active
> is in the exact same eventual boat as the
> diligent, stressed out wife of the SP?
No, as she is not posterity in the strict sense therefore she will need to prove her 'worthiness' to get to the CK or her husband will get another wife and the children another 'worthy' mother.

> Clearly it's all nonsense anyway, but it's still
> fun to see such very real LDS inconsistencies in
> action.
Yes, it is all nonsense and of absolutely no effect, so take my answers to the above questions for what they are worth - NOTHING.

Tom

Date: September 01, 2014 06:32PM

Thanks. That's potentially a huge number of folk that effectively get a free pass. Just another reason why leadership would be uncomfortable with the masses knowing about this ordinance.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.