Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: themaster ( )
Date: August 31, 2014 04:44AM

I watched the movie Pleasantville and was amazed at how much it reminded me of the LDS religion. The movie had several big name actors in it. It is a comedy. A very good movie.

This boy and girl are transported back into a 1950's TV world where everything is black and white. There is no sex, couples bedrooms have twin beds. Women stayed home to cooked and clean.

The town is run by white men who are happy and want everything to stay the same in their Leave It To Beaver world. The teenagers learn there is more than their little world and the old white men make stupid rules to keep their town as it is.

The movie reminded me so much of the views the LDS church fosters upon its members. Have you seen this movie?

Do you think LDS Inc tries to force everyone to live a 1950's Leave It to Beaver type of life?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: August 31, 2014 09:25AM

Oh, yeah. I think of the Mormon Church every time I think of that movie.

Posted by: themaster ( )
Date: September 01, 2014 04:53AM

Two things that surprised me about this movie is that I never saw it not heard about. The other thing is how much it reminds me of what life is like being an obedient TBM.

Posted by: Mormon Observer ( )
Date: September 01, 2014 06:46AM

The next one to watch is the original Stepford Wives from the 70s!!!!

Very creepy.

Some couples barely escape.
The husband thinks everything is okay until he's in too deep to realize the transformation of his wife as she is required to adjust to Stepford!

Posted by: neverevermo ( )
Date: September 02, 2014 06:57PM

I agree up to a point. Pleasantville is kind of sweet and innocent in its nostalgia... and old people want things to stay the same because they're afraid of change more than vindictive or controlling (from what I remember)

In happy valley, there's a very thin veneer of sweet innocence but it's so controlling, manipulative, and very clearly wants to keep people in their place.

I think a zombie movie might be closer to reality. Or if the movie were re-done as The Pleasantville Zombies..

Posted by: praydude ( )
Date: September 03, 2014 03:51AM

If you like Pleasantville than you should check out "The Village". It is also a movie that reminds me of the morg. The Village is not a comedy but it is very cool.

I met a woman at the Prop 8 protests in Oakland who claimed that watching the Village helped break her out of the cult.

Posted by: Bamboozled ( )
Date: September 03, 2014 01:18PM

I don't know about today but back in the day when I was in high school my years in Orem were VERY much like Pleasantville.

In fact when I watched the movie for the first time I was floored by the similarities!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.