Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: brook ( )
Date: August 31, 2014 12:41AM

Ive been following Lindsey's blog for years and I think he's about to lose his mind. Going crazy like Nibley when he was trying to prove the Book of Abraham. Honestly I can't even read through a Lindsey blog post in it's entirety anymore. it's a bunch of maniacal Mormon thinking; making connections that just aren't there. This is a special kind of mental illness and I think it's affecting many Mormons out there.

Anyone else out the watching Lindsey lose his mind?

ETA: Jeff's last name is actually spelled "LindsAy. Try not to let the misspelling distract you too much from the content and thought provoking dialog within this thread.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/31/2014 10:35AM by brook.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ozcrone ( )
Date: August 31, 2014 01:06AM

Posted by: Jorsen ( )
Date: August 31, 2014 01:08AM

This is an interesting point.

My issue is actually that I have not been following as long as you and thus I wonder what it is that they are seeing that I am missing.

I feel the same way about Daniel Peterson.

I listen to Jeff Lindsey, and Daniel Peterson and Mike Ash and I keep reading and listening and they seem to see something that makes it all fit and yet for whatever reason when I am listening to them it sort seems to...yet when I stop reading or listening to them there is just nothing left.

One of my favorite talks is from President Faust who basically said something about "You can't go forever on borrowed light."

I really do believe in what he said there...we all have to find our 'light' for ourselves...and have enough of it on our own to make it.

This is part of the problem though...for me I am a spiritual chameleon at times. When I listen to Lindsey and Peterson and Ash I almost feel their 'light' (using the term loosely here) but when I turn it off that 'light' or whatever it is seems to go with it.

Now with Polygamy starting to resurface as an acceptable 'lifestyle choice' I am curious to see how the church will dance around that doctrine once the fragmented groups start to try and return to the fold so to speak.

Anyway...there may be much I do not know or understand as I am a convert who never attended the Temple. I have read much and miss the community of church...but as I am going through a divorce...I think I'd miss a Lemonade stand at the moment (Lack of support system).

Posted by: Howard ( )
Date: August 31, 2014 09:50AM

Peterson has light?

Posted by: pseudonymous ( )
Date: August 31, 2014 09:54AM

It's blocked by his girth.

Posted by: today's anon ( )
Date: September 01, 2014 04:58PM

Swallowed by the black hole of his mouth...

Posted by: brook ( )
Date: August 31, 2014 02:02AM

Maybe it's apologetics in general that seems disjointed. I try to understand Jeff's point, but I think what the problem is, is that he doesn't have a complete point. It doesn't go anywhere!

For me it's interesting to research a faulty Mormon topic, let's say for example, Book of Abraham. I want to learn what each side believes is a good argument for or against their defense. I know Jeff is an intelligent guy, so why doesn't his evidence ever add up? Why can't he make a sound argument for himself? But yet he keeps trying, over and over. It's like, what's the definition on insanity? -Doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result?

Anyway, I'm sure my frustration with Jeff would the same with any of the others; Peterson, Ash, etc.

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: August 31, 2014 02:12AM

The thing he's trying to defend isn't sane, so...

Posted by: ozcrone ( )
Date: August 31, 2014 06:19AM

Posted by: michaelm (not logged in) ( )
Date: August 31, 2014 06:25AM

Yes.

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: August 31, 2014 06:49AM

It the result of long years living with the "double bind" mixed messages where the evidence is overwhelming the LDS Church is a fraud, and yet the conditioning is to strong to break.

The alternative, "going crazy" is apparent by symptoms involving distorted thinking, denial, projections, and so-called "cognitive dissonance."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/31/2014 03:20PM by SL Cabbie.

Posted by: Elder What's-his-face ( )
Date: August 31, 2014 09:23AM

Apologetics is like watching a Lawyer explain how it is possible that the dog ate his homework.

Posted by: pseudonymous ( )
Date: August 31, 2014 09:57AM

Elder What's-his-face Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Apologetics is like watching a Lawyer explain how
> it is possible that the dog ate his homework.

And the dog doesn't exist!

Posted by: White Cliffs ( )
Date: August 31, 2014 01:09PM

LOL

Posted by: Emmy's Dilemma ( )
Date: August 31, 2014 08:05PM

More likely that the dog was poisoned by Schrodinger's cat.

Posted by: rt ( )
Date: August 31, 2014 09:59AM

Brooke wrote: " I know Jeff is an intelligent guy, so why doesn't his evidence ever add up? Why can't he make a sound argument for himself?"

The problem with apologists is that they have their minds made up - often for them, as in the case of BIC's - and are merely looking for confirmation. That's why their reasoning is so contorted. The arguments have to fit the conclusion.

To make matters worse, their belief is not just a belief, it's their identity. While all human beings are vulnerable to cognitive biases and mistakes, true believers don't even get to the point where they can fully assess the arguments before them. A critical argument is not perceived as an argument at all but as a threat to their identity. When this happens, their cognitive abilities shut down and they go into survival mode: they either run, freeze or lash out.

In my experience, it's impossible to penetrate such a defense. The only way it can come down is from within.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 08/31/2014 10:01AM by rt.

Posted by: 3X (nli) ( )
Date: August 31, 2014 02:58PM

"A critical argument is not perceived as an argument at all but as a threat to their identity."

Very true, and until I married a TBM, I had no exposure to anyone whose identity was so enmeshed with a belief system (and a rather silly one at that).

This is the keystone of mormon psychology: merged identity.

Posted by: randyj ( )
Date: August 31, 2014 09:54PM

"To make matters worse, their belief is not just a belief, it's their identity."

Good point. I realized that problem early on in debating Mopologists: if they come to conclude that the Mormon story is false, that forces them to make drastic changes in their lives---perhaps even involving careers, marriages, abodes, and relationships with extended family. So it's easier for them to maintain the status quo.

The more evidence against Mormonism with which they're presented, the more they're forced to come up with even more ridiculous apologetics in order to keep believing. Like their silly arguments about BOM DNA and the BOA, for instance.

I can empathize with them, because for the first 40 years of my life, my identity revolved completely around the church too. And it took me several more years after going semi-active to fully de-program myself from the mindset.

Posted by: imaworkinonit ( )
Date: August 31, 2014 10:01AM

to insanity.

When my faith crumbled, I spent the next 9 months studying, and hoping to regain it. And I stuck mostly to LDS-friendly sources, and apologetic stuff like FARMS and Nibley. I also had some weird experiences with emotional responses to testimony-bearing, while simultaneously thinking "this is b.s." There were times when I wondered if I was losing my grip on reality.

I finally realized that if I was to accept that the church was true, I would have to give up reason, ignore evidence, and twist reality. The guys who make a career out of doing that are probably messing with their own heads. They certainly messed with mine.

I haven't read Jeff Lindsay, and I don't intend to. That kind of thinking hurts my head.

Posted by: Jorsen ( )
Date: August 31, 2014 04:13PM

Wow...you are talking my language here friend. Especially the part about having weird experiences with emotional responses to testimony-bearing and the simultaneous "this is BS" response.

Unbelievable...that is exactly what I have experienced...and it is that sort of thing that has left me in some strange form of a mind fuck.

It has left me without confidence in my own ability to discern what is reality.

I have purposely avoided visiting my friends from my old ward during my present divorce...as I am certain their glowing testimonies would make me reevaluate my position.

Not that my position is in error...but purely due to the fact that at the moment my position is not as satisfying or as encouraging as theirs.

This whole process has done a number on my self confidence. It is hard to be confident in yourself if you feel so inept at determining bullshit from truth.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/01/2014 07:26PM by Susan I/S.

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: September 01, 2014 07:49PM

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit.

They are like magicians, their business depends on misdirection and illusion. Getting a factual answer out of them is like trying to nail JellO to a wall.

Posted by: White Cliffs ( )
Date: August 31, 2014 01:15PM

The sad thing is that some of it could be salvaged, some of it could easily be rationalized and justified. But the church refuses to admit that the BOA was made up on the spot, and that the BOM is non-historical and highly exaggerated. So Jeff Lindsay, who seems to be a decent guy, wastes his effort, credibility, and good feelings on a couple of crazy fictional books that really don't do anything for him.

Posted by: pathfinder ( )
Date: August 31, 2014 04:03PM

Like I would say to my wife. The truth doesn't matter to you. You have already decided. Even it is right in front of you, it has no bearing what-so-ever. You have already decided what is true and that's it. End of discussion.

All this based on her brainwashing.

Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: August 31, 2014 04:15PM

Absolute truth doesn't matter to people like your wife. What matters is that it works for her. That makes it "true" enough for her. Relative truth is more important.

Posted by: whatiswanted ( )
Date: September 01, 2014 06:45PM

It comes down to honesty and integrity. Over time if they are an honest person and have the integrity to do the right thing they will admit....they were wrong.

I give a big shout out to Kerry Shirts the backyard professor. He fought the good fight for a long time but his honesty and integrity finally were more important then trying to protect the name of the church.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.