Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Adult of god ( )
Date: April 22, 2013 04:57PM

Africa looks pretty flaccid! ;) Funny!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Gelaendewagen ( )
Date: April 22, 2013 08:02PM

Mormonism is being sucked through the void.

GOOD!

Posted by: nickname ( )
Date: April 22, 2013 08:41PM

The UK looks a lot bigger than I would have thought.

Posted by: Ex-CultMember ( )
Date: April 22, 2013 10:04PM

Wow, that's awesome! Does anyone know who the creators of that map and/or website are? Can't read it obviously, but I'd love to know where they got their data to create that map. If they used TSCC's numbers, imagine what it would look like with the actual numbers! I'd like to see them redo it with just the number of wards per country and not the membership totals. I'd also like to see it with Utah as its own geographic location so you can see how skewed it it is compared to the rest of the country.

Posted by: rt ( )
Date: April 23, 2013 12:12AM

The map was created by worldmapper.org. The size of a country is determined the number of Mormons in a population. So the more Mormons per capita, the larger the country.

A few years ago I look at their data and it seemed OK. The only thing that should be mentioned is that they took al Mormons, not just LDS.

Posted by: DeAnn ( )
Date: April 25, 2013 10:34AM

There is a window for you to change the language.

Posted by: PHIL ( )
Date: April 22, 2013 10:43PM

Whoa was that cool. That is in the Dutch language which was my mission language.

Date: April 23, 2013 12:14AM

It looks like Asia, the largest continent in the world, doesn't exist in the Mormon world!

Posted by: Dave in Hollywood ( )
Date: April 23, 2013 03:25PM

What's the big yellow blob north of Australia? I assume it's the Phillipines?

Date: April 24, 2013 10:57AM

Dave in Hollywood Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What's the big yellow blob north of Australia? I
> assume it's the Phillipines?

Yep. Apparently, there are relatively many Mormons in the Philippines. Lots of US military bases is my guess...

Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: April 24, 2013 11:05AM

Of course if you figure in all the "converts" in South America, and Mexico, who barely attended church once, after their baptism, that whole region deflates a good deal as well.

Posted by: EssexExMo ( )
Date: April 24, 2013 11:16AM

America looks fat

/just sayin'

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: April 24, 2013 02:02PM

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_xdXLDq0pfP0/Sr8f0KC9F8I/AAAAAAAAAHg/8QcokiNvFhE/s912/561.png

They will spew out of North of Russian and equalize the planet by Mormonizing it with their Urimm and Thummins and Liahonas and seer stones etc.!!!!

Date: April 24, 2013 03:35PM

I'm not too tech savvy, but can someone redo this map only using % of wards in each country? I think the # of wards is a good indicator of the strength of the church in each location. Also, create Utah as its own geographic location since most American Mormons live in that state.

Date: April 24, 2013 05:37PM

Ex-CultMember Wrote:
> I'm not too tech savvy, but can someone redo this
> map only using % of wards in each country?

What would you relate this number to? As it stands, the map shows how many mormons there are in relation to the overall number of mormons. Not sure the number of wards adds anything, expecially since the number of members per ward is also fluctuating.

You can find out how the map was made here (dataset included):

http://www.worldmapper.org/display_religion.php?selected=561

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/24/2013 05:41PM by rt.

Date: April 24, 2013 07:24PM

I guess I should have worded it differently. I was thinking by replacing the # of Mormons by the # of wards it would more accurately reflect the placement of Mormons (at least those whose butts are in the pews) in the world. Since there are certain minimum requirements for active members in the area to create a ward and when it gains enough active members they always split them, then it seems like that would more accurately depict the activity of Mormons through out the world.

For example Utah may have the same # of Mormons as Brazil, but as we know most of the Brazilian "members" are completely inactive, if they even consider themselves members, whereas a much higher % of members in Utah are going to be active.

Though their total membership may be the same, Utah might have 10 times as many wards.

Posted by: weeder ( )
Date: April 24, 2013 03:47PM

Posted by: canadianfriend ( )
Date: April 24, 2013 07:47PM

Thanks for noticing. The morg is done up here. Their only hope is Alberta and even there Mos make up less than 2% of the population. All other provinces are resisting growth. Canadians aren't buying their nonsense.

Posted by: saintdorothymantooth ( )
Date: April 27, 2013 10:34AM

Way to go, Canada! Hopefully a little of that common sense starts flowing down here...

Posted by: tevainotloggedin ( )
Date: April 24, 2013 05:41PM

English (and many other languages) are available with a single click.

There is a place to click on the language you prefer on the left of the page.

Posted by: King Brigham I ( )
Date: April 24, 2013 09:12PM

The U.S. looks pretty flatulent.

Posted by: acerbicone ( )
Date: April 24, 2013 10:33PM

There actually is a cartographic technique that enlarges the size of certain countries/regions to show relative size of something. It seems the maker of this map is trying imitate that without the proper program or knowledge of how to do it. This one reminded me of the obesity problem in the USA.

Date: April 25, 2013 05:02PM

acerbicone Wrote:
> There actually is a cartographic technique that
> enlarges the size of certain countries/regions to
> show relative size of something. It seems the
> maker of this map is trying imitate that without
> the proper program or knowledge of how to do it.
> This one reminded me of the obesity problem in the
> USA.

Really? So what do you think is wrong with the diffusion-based method for producing density equalizing maps that was used to create this map:

http://www.pnas.org/content/101/20/7499.long

Posted by: Good Witch ( )
Date: April 25, 2013 10:38AM

RT: I'd like to ask you a question about some friends of mine in the Netherlands. Please email me at heidigwotr@hotmail.com

Posted by: Mateo Pastor ( )
Date: April 27, 2013 03:59PM

First, the worldwide membership:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-2S5HlZWHwjM/T6VudyPMpEI/AAAAAAAAAnw/z3clquoA3EQ/s1600/Verdeling_ledental.jpg

Note: "Dood" is Dutch for dead, "Kwijt" means lost, as in out of sight (though literally mislaid, which I find quite a funny choice of words).

Next, the temples. In blue the number of temples needed, in grey the overcapacity. The red line is the evolution:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-VWnVCkQ4lAo/T6VnFgciVwI/AAAAAAAAAnc/ReI_Qem61tc/s1600/Tempels_leegstand_incl_groei.jpg

Date: April 27, 2013 05:19PM

Mateo Pastor Wrote:
> Note: "Dood" is Dutch for dead, "Kwijt" means
> lost, as in out of sight (though literally
> mislaid, which I find quite a funny choice of
> words).

Thank you. I did that on purpose :-)

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.