Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Scully ( )
Date: March 20, 2013 02:00PM

Sitting in the Starbucks across from the Prince Albert theatre and enjoying a hot coffee and the warm feeling that I am no longer trapped in my old way of thinking.

I recognized so much truth in the play. I am BIC, Utah native, BYU grad, missionary, temple marriage, and kids.

I loved the musical. Yes some parts were very coarse to my former Mormon ears. The biggest laughs from the audience came from the parts where actual church history or beliefs were portrayed. The song about "I believe" by elder Price was so funny. "I believe god lives on a planet called Kolob.". "I believe I can get my own planet too.". Funny funny stuff!

I had my own little former Mormon missionary moment.

When I said hello to the two girls who say by me, one of them outed her friend immediately by saying she's a Mormon. So I got to ask her about why she was there and she said she was baptized in New Zealand and moved to London 4 years ago, believed but wasn't active. I got to share with them my background with all the vernacular only Mormons know like wards, bishops, sealing in the temple blah blah blah. Then I threw in how my oldest daughter was ok leaving it when she learned about JS's many and rather young wives.

And then the musical began. It's incredible how the South Park guys skewer the religion but still give some small semblance of respect to the individuals who are stuck and trying their best to be good people- according to the rules of the Church.

Afterwards I got to wish the two girls well and waited at the stage door to see the actors. I think I had a crush on Elder Price but I have it on good authority he is gay so my husband shouldn't have to worry. :)

My last thought is that I am sad. Deeply melancholic that the most incredible year-and-a-half of my life spent on a mission was a waste. I could have done some real good with Peace Corp or volunteering even locally, but nope, instead I went door to door, street displays, and squandered my time bothering people who were already pretty darn happy.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/20/2013 02:02PM by scully.

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: March 20, 2013 05:14PM

Anyone know any TBMs who have seen it? I imagine they'd walk out at the F U God song.

Posted by: sherlock ( )
Date: March 20, 2013 07:18PM

Thanks for the return and report. I saw it at the same venue last week and loved it. Went with a TBM friend who in balance really liked it (he's a very chilled TBM but does still believe) but found two of the songs pretty tough (you'll be able to guess which ones!). I only regret not booking more nights when I bought the tickets a few months ago.

Date: March 21, 2013 03:03AM

Right you are, Sherlock!

I thought a few songs were really crass. The f a frog, Mormon scary dreams, and repeated references to female genatalia would have been nearly impossible for me to sit through as a TBM Mormon, because of the feeling that I was supposed to be a shining example of Christlike behavior and not tolerate such vulgarity or it would push the Spirit away.

Geez!

Because I knew no one there, and there was no chance of running into anyone who knew me, I just used the Mormon trick and "turned it off.". :). -- another song in the musical which was hilarious and clean too.

Posted by: still_attending_anglo ( )
Date: March 21, 2013 04:45AM

I went last week, loved it. Recognized the 'effin and 'jeffin would have been hard for some to hear, though didn't really bother me (went to see Bernard Manning when i was a TBM)

Even dressed as a missionary, and dug out my old mission badge and tie, got a few wry smiles.

There were a few exmo's that I went with and we all had a good laugh.

I hear that the mission presidents wife of one of the northern missions wants to go see it, think she is a little naive....

BTW - It's the Prince of Wales theatre

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.