Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: originalmaggie ( )
Date: March 19, 2013 06:12PM

When did they start doing this kind of thing?

http://www.lifeofchristevent.blogspot.com/

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: notnewatthisanymore ( )
Date: March 19, 2013 06:13PM

Apparently 6 years ago?

Posted by: Tupperwhere ( )
Date: March 19, 2013 06:18PM

"the Cultural Hall is transformed
into the land of Israel"

I'm picturing a giant bulletin board with a felt backdrop here

Posted by: Bite Me ( )
Date: March 19, 2013 06:35PM

Ah yes, a giant display of tacky mormon art. Just what we need.

Posted by: Tupperwhere ( )
Date: March 19, 2013 06:39PM

along with an adjacent kitchen that they aren't allowed to actually cook in

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: March 19, 2013 06:39PM

I've witnessed the emphasis on Christ for dozens of years.

One example-- the Stake we lived in had an annual Christmas Open House for many years, with several hundred Creche's on display - covering the whole gym.
They invited other church choirs to sing in the Saturday and Sunday programs.

In the 50's they purchased the 11 foot Christus that is on display in the visitors center in SLC.

There has been a concerted effort for decades to keep the Bible and Christ paramount, not just lip service closing everything th they do from prayers, talks, and ordinances ... "In The Name of Jesus Christ".

The Quorum of Twelve Apostles, in my experience, especially in the 60's to 80's were called to be a witness of Jesus Christ.

This last decade seems to be even more emphasis on Jesus Christ and their beliefs.
I presume it's their effort to make sure members/believers and others understand more fully that their claim to be the "Only True Church of Jesus Christ in the Latter Days" is emphasized.

One aspect of religion is it's territorial aspect with it's need to show others they are true, or the only truth, as in many religions. Most religions take on the: "us vs them" characteristic also. This has a strong negative element which belies much of their own teachings.

One of the things I found most fascinating is how Christ is depicted in the Creche's. Every nativity shows Christ in the race and culture of each country or group. He is African, Japanese, American Indian, and dozens of others. His likeness always represents his believers.

When a religion is generational, part of the history of a group, territorial, cultural, as well as familial and societal it functions as a tribe. Some, as in Mormonism, are more difficult to leave than others. And some are even more strict, and hard to leave than Mormonism, of course.

The idea that Jesus is the Christ is part of the history of Mormonism and the history of the United States, and much of Europe. It's one of those ideas and beliefs that is not likely to disappear.

Much argument about all the beliefs of Christianity and how it shows up in Mormonism and how that upsets others that are not of the same faith. But that is very typical. US Citizens often claim this is a Christian nation also.

I think we will see more and more emphasis within the LDS Church on Jesus Christ as time goes on.

That's my observation and experience. I'm a convert so I came into it with a very different perspective to start with.
Being married for over 50 years to a seventh generational Mormon taught me a lot about how strongly the religion dominates much of their lives. It permeates everything they do and the reason for every decision. I came face to face with that amazing power of the spiritual witness.

What people don't realize while living it, very often, is how it takes over all of your life.

I'm just grateful that I came to a point that I no longer needed or wanted that kind of dominance and control in my life.
There is a whole different kind of freedom outside that influence!

Posted by: Originalmaggie ( )
Date: March 19, 2013 06:56PM

I attended wards in Utah, Arizona, Texas, and Arkansas for 33 years. I never experienced an emphasis on " the guy". It always seemed that " in the name of Jesus Christ" was simply an afterthought. Something to say after all the legalistic aspects of the cult were covered first.

Posted by: terrydacyl ( )
Date: March 19, 2013 09:30PM

Is anyone else bothered by the shepherd symbolism? At best you'll get shorn. At worst you'll be slaughtered!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.