Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: behindcurtain ( )
Date: March 15, 2013 12:57AM

Fairly often people in temple ceremonies see the spirits of the people they are doing temple work for. What is really happening? Since Mormonism isn't true, the spirits they are seeing are not there for the temple work. There are several possibilities:

1. If spirits really exist, these spirits could be in the temple to reassure people that there is an afterlife, even though that afterlife is not the Mormon version.

2. These spirits are evil and deceptive, since Mormonism is of the Devil.

3. The people seeing these spirits are delusional. This may be the most likely possibility.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: builttospill ( )
Date: March 15, 2013 01:12AM

and the winner is number 3...

People go to the temple expecting to have the veil SO thin and waiting for the miraculous to happen or appear. Did you ever feel a presence when you were a kid or see something in your room. You had a niave and unguarded mind and imagination - after some time you were told they were not true and you eventually understood -

Now imagine you were trained from a young age to believe they were real - and told to expect them. There was no conditioning that matured the mind from there to here.

Thats is what the temple is to Mormons - and how they are told to view it... There is also a status ribbon for those that can attain the truly sacred bordering on miraculous- so I guess some are just saying it to feel the glow of importance.

Posted by: Raptor Jesus ( )
Date: March 15, 2013 01:13AM

That's the funniest answer.

Posted by: rd4jesus ( )
Date: March 15, 2013 01:18AM

I would usually see spirits in the temple if I dropped acid shortly before the endowment ceremony.

Posted by: Fetal Deity ( )
Date: March 15, 2013 01:56AM

For example, about one month after his alleged vision of the "Founding Fathers" of the U.S. in the St. George Temple, Wilford Woodruff pubicly reported the event. However, in the journal entry he made at the time of the supposed occurrence, no mention whatsoever is made of any vision.

Why wouldn't he have recorded such a miraculous vision in his Journal? Hmmmmmm ...

See: http://exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,40537,40769#msg-40769

Posted by: twojedis ( )
Date: March 15, 2013 01:58AM

My mom swore she saw angels in the temple the day we got married. She was certain that they were sithlord's relatives, just waiting for someone in their family to join the church so their work could be done. I think mental illness or manipulation was involved. Maybe both.

Posted by: DonQuijote ( )
Date: March 15, 2013 02:13AM

Could be #2. My first time at the temple doing baptisms for the dead at 14, all the girls saw a women appear above the baptismal font and told them that they skipped their name, pointing at the paper. We (the boys) came out of the dressing room and met up with them when they were done (since we couldn't do it together I guess so we wouldn't look at their boobs when they got wet) and one of the girls told me about it. I started asking some of the other girls and got some of them to talk. They were all really quiet for the rest of the day like they were scared or stunned. I didn't doubt they saw something because they all gave me the same story.

Posted by: rainwriter ( )
Date: March 15, 2013 02:21AM

Hallucinogenics in the water?

Date: March 15, 2013 02:23AM

Sorry, posted in the wrong spot.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/15/2013 02:24AM by rainwriter.

Date: March 15, 2013 02:24AM

Fasting, looking for confirmation bias...

The semester at BYUI before I was married, my ward brought in a temple-something or other couple who spoke in Sacrament meeting about their experiences like that in the temple. Everyone loved it so much that they stayed and did an impromptu fireside that night about the same thing. Lots of third hand stories about people seeing spirits and such.

At the time I remember being really confused and frustrated at them sharing something that was supposed to be so sacred, especially someone else's experiences like that somehow made it more okay. Then after I went to the temple I used it as a "really, the temple's supposed to be like that?" Now it's just creepy.

Posted by: sonoma ( )
Date: March 15, 2013 02:28AM

#4 - the spirits were vodka, gin, and scotch.

Posted by: tightuntoadish ( )
Date: March 15, 2013 02:54AM

I had an idiotic friend who was SURE that she was going to see an angel at her wedding (because nothing sanctions a marriage like angels for the other side of the veil). Anyway, long story short, while the wedding party entered the temple to make our way to the sealing room, we all heard this idiotic friend yell out, "It's an angel! IT'S AN ANGEL!" We all looked in astonishment but saw nothing. Then, idiotic friend's mother replied, "No dear, that's a temple worker." The "angel" was nothing more than an old man, dressed in white, coming down the stairs.

Ugh!

Posted by: Becca ( )
Date: March 15, 2013 05:58AM

lolol!

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: March 15, 2013 05:35AM

At Halloween they see ghosts and goblins.

In the temple mormons might see angels and spirits.

Such is life.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/15/2013 05:39AM by Cheryl.

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: March 15, 2013 11:10AM

My mom swears she felt her deceased mom put her hand on her shoulder during our temple wedding. The temple sealer kept asking us to have our other grandma sit in one of the seats they'd reserved for immediate family. We kept telling him both grandmas that were still alive were in their seats but he kept insisting there was another grandmother there. Finally he just shrugged and got on with the ceremony but everyone told us that afterward that it was a sign my grandmother who raised me and died when I was 11 was there and she wanted us to know she was there. I think if you believe there is life after death, then you probably believe those people who loved you in this life can check in on you during important events in your earth life.

I do NOT think this is a testimony of Mormonism or the holy nature of temples. I think it's far more likely that your loved ones are there to protect you from Mormon stupidity. And those who claim they feel the presence of the person whose temple work they are doing are neglecting to hear that person screaming from the afterlife "STOP doing that stupid, useless work. I DON'T want to be MORMON!" I'm truly sick of Mormons claiming ordinary spiritual experiences, peace, good feelings etc. as proof that Mormonism is true. Everyone has these feelings - even people with no belief in God or life after death. It's all part of the human experience. Get over yourselves, Mormons. If there are spirits in the temple, maybe they are trying to keep you safe from Mormonism.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.