Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: fossilman ( )
Date: February 27, 2013 10:47AM

I grew up in northern CA as a BIC TBM back in the 60's and 70's, but left for a mission and college after high school and never lived there again. Through the years, I've gone back and visited, but aside from my family, I've not really kept up with friends from that time.

And living here in the south where mormoms are scarce, ex-mormons are indeed rare. I've not come across another ex-mormon down here since I resigned about 11 years ago. Never had a get-together close enough that I could attend.

Then, this last August on a visit back to my home town, I went out of my way and called up a childhood friend. We met for lunch, and he told me his story since high school. He went on a mission, but didn't enjoy it. After some time, I think, he came out to his family and friends, and at some point he went through the court of love and was excommmunicated. I was just hearbroken. Of all my childhood friends, he was the one I felt most comfortable around, though I had no idea he was gay.

And, just this week a TBM girlfriend, who I dated in high school, found me on facebook and we started talking. At first, I did what I always do when I reconnect -- you know -- talk only about the safe stuff -- school, job, kids. Then she mentioned that she and her temple-married husband had studied their way out of the church back in the 90's. Absolutely floored me.

I know that I am not alone. I've been on and off this forum for about 12 years, and I have come to "know" a lot of you by your posts. But now I have two ex-mo friends in real life. I can share my story vocally to someone who will listen and not judge me.

Life can be good.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: twojedis ( )
Date: February 27, 2013 11:00AM

It does feel good to connect to real people, especially those from your past. I'm glad you found some!

Posted by: puff the magic dragon ( )
Date: February 27, 2013 08:52PM

I am originally from Northern CA. We lived in Santa Rosa, Windsor, and Ukiah. I am 44 now. Maybe we know each other. :)

Posted by: sparkyguru ( )
Date: February 28, 2013 12:35AM

when I started being open on face book I had several friends message me about having gone through the same thing.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: February 28, 2013 12:41AM

I lived in Roseville, NorCal, in the mid seventies. You're not alone.

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: February 28, 2013 01:00AM

I grew up on Northern CA too and we joined the church in the mid-70s. We lived about an hour from Redding. I'd name the town but I give way too much IRL on this board as it is. Not one single person I grew up with has left the church, although a couple of them are JackMos who don't live it but still believe enough that I can't really talk to them. About 5 years ago, my high school boyfriend and his wife divorced and one of the issues was that she found out the truth about Mormonism and left the church. I don't know if that was why they got divorced but I do know it was a big problem for him. She's teaching the truth to his four kids and every day I log on here, I hope to see that his kids have gotten through to him, he's left the church and joined us here in real life. Because next to my immediate family, he's one person I'd like to see free of the Mormon chains. Well, him and Bishop Jackwagon are my two top picks but that second one is mostly revenge, albeit a kind sort of revenge. And I'm mostly rambling on about HS BF, hoping he's lurking and he recognizes this story.

Anyway, you are really lucky to have some exmo friends in real life. Congratulations.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.