Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Brett4 ( )
Date: February 12, 2013 08:25PM

So I watched some of the Jodi Arias trial today . . . sat through as much of the sex tape as I could stand . . . but that wasn't what shocked me.

During the prosecution's case there was a witness who had dated Travis Alexander when she was 19 and he was in his late twenties. Very nice, sweet Mormon girl that you would love to have for a sister.

At the end of one date, they were kissing and Travis got an erection. She was upset and somewhat angry because she thought he had done it on purpose.

After I got over the shock of a 19-year-old who was that naive, I found myself wondering what on earth this girl's mother was thinking. How could she let her daughter go on a date with a man, get in a car with him, go to his house without even having the basics of male-female interaction? Do most Mormon parents do this? Let their daughters go off to college or, worse, a mission with no birds-and-bees talk at all?

Still kind of stunned.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: February 12, 2013 08:32PM

I think that happens all the time. I've met many mormon women who can't handle any kind of talk or innuendo that even slightly implies something to do with sex. How could a woman like that sit her daughter down and talk about male anatomy? They can't.

They send their children (not just daughters) out into the world in a state of sexual blindness.

There was one woman I know whose daughter was gang raped at BYUI. She didn't even have the right words to describe what had happened to her. She didn't know the words to describe male and female anatomy, let alone what was happening.

I'm happy to say, she came home, went to years of therapy, left the church, and has joined the real world. She will never be Mormon again. Her mother is furious about that. I predict that there will soon come a time when the daughter ends all and any relationship with her mother who is hopelessly crippled by mormonism.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/12/2013 08:33PM by Mia.

Posted by: Brett4 ( )
Date: February 12, 2013 08:45PM

I can see her mother not wanting her to have sex at that age -- I'm sure my mother didn't (we're talking many decades ago), but she sure as hell made sure I knew how and what I was going to experience and how I might deal with it. I hate to criticize other people's parenting styles, but that's so bad I don't know what to say.

Posted by: citizen not logged in ( )
Date: February 12, 2013 08:58PM

Saw this too... Sad, just sad. And stupid--very stupid. That a parent (knowing the problems they experience/experienced without adequate sexual education) would let a young person go into the world without any kind of heads up (no pun intended) is just stupid. Mormons are so damn squeamish.

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: February 12, 2013 09:01PM

Posted by: citizen not logged in ( )
Date: February 12, 2013 09:03PM

Sex awareness, too. Mormons act like it doesn't exist and we aren't sexual beings. If we ignore problems long enough, they will go away.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: February 12, 2013 09:31PM

Brett4 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> So I watched some of the Jodi Arias trial today .
> . . sat through as much of the sex tape as I could
> stand . . . but that wasn't what shocked me.

I listened to as much as I could stand but what threw me for a loop was the fact that they were dissing a recent RM for grabbing his crotch and posting it and then they go ahead and talk about all kinds of kinky sex oh, and they had also talked about marrying other people instead of "doing it (getting married)" themselves together.

Loved the hypocrisy and the Arias male ego stroking - NOT.

It was difficult to listen to - so many Mormon sex biases and stupid adolescent sex talk. Oh, and the Arias comment about crotch grabber, "is he like 16?"

She sure is a role model for maturity.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: February 12, 2013 10:12PM

That evil fellow--deliberately erect!

Posted by: nickname ( )
Date: February 12, 2013 10:19PM

Yep. My parents never talked about any of that stuff with me, except just enough for me to know that the whole topic was "evil." Everything I learned about sex before actually having a girlfriend, I got from the internet. And yes, I though that having that knowledge made me a bad person. How sad is that?

Posted by: adoylelb ( )
Date: February 12, 2013 10:29PM

I dated someone who wasn't Mormon when I was in high school, but was so sheltered that he apologized for having an erection when we kissed. It's not surprising that we split sometime after that, as he had helicopter parents before the phrase was common. Last I heard, this person is still unable to live a regular adult life because his mom keeps interfering. This person's parents make even the most devout Mormons look like negligent parents.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/12/2013 10:29PM by adoylelb.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.