Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: False Doctrine ( )
Date: August 20, 2014 04:37PM

I am the shelf has collapsed stage where in my mind if I am not Mormon then I am athiest. This is a scary stage for me.
I am still excited about being a husband, father, grandfather and the best one I can possibly be...and that is what my life is...and I am thinking when it is over that love will be gone, but I won't know it. So I grasp every loving family moment I can right now...it is all I have, nothing else matters. I am stunned though that I am in a state of mind that the end is the end. I am bewildered with thoughts.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: August 20, 2014 04:45PM

False Doctrine Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I am bewildered with thoughts.

It gets better if you start learning more and more in my opinion.

Mormonism is like a straight and narrow road which if you leave can make one crazy trying to fit those concepts to an open road.

Enjoy the ride with more room to pass.

Date: August 20, 2014 04:49PM

Thanks...funny you put it that way because that is part of my bewilderment...the highway is so busy! I am trying to slow down and make smart passing moves though.

Posted by: RPackham ( )
Date: August 20, 2014 04:47PM

Of course you are stunned and scared and bewildered. But you are also focused on what is really important: the love we can enjoy in the here and now. It is the most precious thing that we have.

Think of life as that once-in-a-lifetime vacation trip to someplace you always wanted to go, half-way around the world: Paris, Athens, Rome, South Sea islands. When you finally do take that vacation, are you going to mourn and complain the whole time because it is going to end, and you know you will never be able to return? I hope not. You would simply enjoy it while there, and treasure the memories afterward.

Those who believe in an afterlife generally do not think that one of the wonderful things they will enjoy in heaven is the memories of some vacation trip they took during their mortal life. It will be something they can forget.

So, whether there is an afterlife, and you forget your wonderful vacation, or whether there is no afterlife, and you cannot remember it because you no longer exist, it ends up the same.

Moral: enjoy your wonderful trip through life.

Date: August 20, 2014 04:50PM

Thoughtful insight. Thanks for sharing.

Posted by: Searcher ( )
Date: August 20, 2014 05:35PM

FD:

You seem to be an honest seeker of truth, trying to do the right thing, not just for yourself but for your children and extended family. That alone speaks volumes to me about your good character. Don't be too hard on yourself just for wanting greater knowledge and understanding (even if the quest took you in an uncomfortable direction).

Date: August 20, 2014 06:00PM

Thanks. One thing about me is I am truly family first, even in my tbm days...callings were turned down or accepted only with the understanding that I won't be at every meeting (PEC, Ward Council, and on and on). Even survived in a Bishopric with that agenda. My wife has always been the same way...so I don't have that demon (TBM wife) to have to deal with thru all of this.

Posted by: exodus ( )
Date: August 20, 2014 05:56PM

This is normal. It also happened to me and literally caught me off guard because my shelf fell below the floor (belief in God). It kind of makes sense though, because we are indoctrinated that the LDS church is the one and only true church... so when we find out otherwise, we are left with very little.

The way I deal with this is just to realize that we're all in this together. No matter what happens next after we die (or nothing), you are going where all of your ancestors have already gone. So eat, drink, and be merry - really! Enjoy life and savor the experiences you have.

Best wishes to you...

Date: August 20, 2014 07:56PM

During these recent weeks I have visited ancestors final resting places, including my parents. As I walked up and down their aisle I saw headstone after headstone with the engraving of "Together Forever". Being out in the Midwest, they were definitely not all LDS. Even saw some with the crucifix with the together forever emblem so definitely not LDS. My perspective at that moment was "yes, you are together forever, side by side in the ground".

Posted by: BG ( )
Date: August 20, 2014 07:37PM

My father has been dead 14 years, and I see his face in the mirror every morning when I get up, I hear his voice in my voice. When I work with my employees I hear my grandfather telling me how to treat other people and how other people like to be treated. I lke to work with wood, and I see my grandfather's carpenter's hands shaping what I am working on. I hear my Grandfather's laugh from my son who just turned 21. The molecules in your DNA will serve as a template for complimentary DNA for generations and generations. The time you spend with your children will be remembered. One generation turns into another and cycles on ... enjoy your ride on the wave and make the most of it.

Posted by: exodus ( )
Date: August 20, 2014 07:40PM

Right on man... good perspective.

Date: August 20, 2014 07:52PM

I can relate with your fondness for your grandfather. My grandchildren are my world. I think I am building memories in them...we have a lot of good times anyway...and none of it involves singing primary songs...Thank goodness they are being drilled with those brainwash seeds.

Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: August 20, 2014 07:46PM

Isn't it a surprise to find out that atheists are not dark hairy creatures that live under the stairs and eat children.

I dare say your love for your family is enhanced because you are finding its purest form unencumbered by whatever religion has heaped on.

Your post brought such a smile to my face. You have a very lucky family.

Date: August 20, 2014 07:58PM

I always admired atheists because of their cultural morals. I never understood their motivation to be good people. Now I do.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.