Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: me too ( )
Date: August 20, 2014 04:30PM

It doesn't make me a bad person, there is still purpose to life, and I'm tired of being told I'll change my mind.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: redfeather ( )
Date: August 20, 2014 04:34PM

Me either!

Posted by: amyslittlesister ( )
Date: August 20, 2014 04:35PM

You have your free agency. Don't get guilted into doing anything you don't want to do. By anyone.

"There's more to life than having children." -- My mom (mother of five)

Posted by: onlinemoniker ( )
Date: August 20, 2014 09:08PM

Not if you have 5 children.

Posted by: onlinemoniker ( )
Date: August 20, 2014 09:14PM

I'm 50. No kids for me.

When I was in my 20's, I didn't want them because I believed global thermonuclear war was imminent and I didn't want to be responsible for having brought someone into the world just to have them die in such a miserable way.

By the time I was in my early 40's I was glad I hadn't had them because I didn't want to be responsible for having brought someone into a world that's a miserable place to live (and die) because of climate change/global warming.

Of course there's still the chance of global thermonuclear war. Now I'm pretty certain it would more likely end up being regional thermonuclear war. But really that's not much better. I mean we're talking thermonuclear war here.

Just glad I didn't have kids.

Posted by: Cinnamint ( )
Date: August 20, 2014 04:42PM

Same here. I romanticized marriage and parenthood as a teen and in my twenties, but no longer. I've witnessed too much anguish. I'm in my mid-thirties now, and the biological urge has evaporated. Yay! The freedom of being childless is incredible. There are enough people on this planet, anyway.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: August 20, 2014 04:44PM

Having children is the "Natural Man" which is an enemy of God so I am an enemy of God since I've reproduced.

Posted by: It'sRaining ( )
Date: August 20, 2014 05:00PM

My parents had friends who were childless by choice and I never understood it. How could someone who was once a child and seemed to relish making me laugh not want kids of their own? Well, now I get it--and I'm a parent. Haha. There's nothing wrong with not wanting kids. Before my son was born I wanted 4. Now he's 3 and the s/o and I are seriously thinking about having him be the last. The TBM in-law's just cannot conceptualize how we could fathom not having more.

It's the people who start/continue procreating when they know they don't/shouldn't be who are the bad ones. The ones (like my mother) whose kids can't figure out why their parents even started are the crappy ones.

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: August 20, 2014 05:16PM

I'm the only one out of my siblings that used birth control (i'm reasonably sure about that). I'm the only one who didn't have a pile of kids. I had two,and then made the choice to have no more.
As a mormon, I always felt a bit looked down on for not having more kids. Many snide comments were made to me about this topic.

My daughter had her first baby at age 30. I wouldn't be surprised if its her last. She's observed her friends that have more than one, and doesn't think she wants to go that route. She has a choice. She doesn't have the mormon guilt breathing down her neck.

My son is married, and I don't think they've totally made up their mind yet. They seem to be leaning toward having no kids. They also aren't mormon.

My kids left the church with me. They were both single and in their 20's when we did that. It's been a very good thing for them. They're at the stage where important life decisions are being made. They don't have to stop and consider what some old men in SLC think about their choices.

Posted by: ultra ( )
Date: August 20, 2014 05:03PM

If you don't want them. . Don't have them. I own a Daycare center and have to deal all the time with parents who don't want them. Very sad sometimes.

Posted by: ASteve ( )
Date: August 20, 2014 05:06PM

As a resident of the planet Earth, who did have two kids, I have one thing to say: Thank you.

This planet is overpopulated already, we need more people to stand up to breeding pressure and say no thanks.

Posted by: ASteve ( )
Date: August 20, 2014 05:07PM

Yes I DO know that was two things. ;-)

Posted by: Pista ( )
Date: August 20, 2014 05:07PM

I was sad for many years that I had been unable to have children. Now, every time I call my cousin and hear her four kids screaming the whole time, listen to how her whole life is about dealing with them and their problems, I always hang up and feel like the fortunate one. I know people love their kids. That's great, but it's really not the only way to live. I do what I want, when I want. My time and my money are my own. I find deep fulfillment in working with others, including children, without having my own.

Posted by: elciz ( )
Date: August 20, 2014 05:15PM

From a logical and calculating standpoint I can't see why anybody would want children.

From an emotional standpoint I can. I had five.

Posted by: goldenrule ( )
Date: August 20, 2014 05:22PM

My TBM in laws didn't speak to DH and I for 6 months after he had a vasectomy. I have 2 children whom I love. But for me personally, there are other things in life I prefer doing than being a parent. And I no longer feel guilty about feeling that way.

Posted by: manbearpigforthis ( )
Date: August 20, 2014 05:24PM

But, don't you feel guilty for ruining the economy? Think of our home values!

http://www.byutv.org/show/5e819b00-5e99-4bf4-931e-c154d3c2dc8d/new-economic-reality-demographic-winter

The LDS ruling class and BYU TV would never lead us astray, after all, and they command us all to make as many babies as we can.

Posted by: TheNavidsonRecord ( )
Date: August 20, 2014 05:40PM

me either.

Posted by: abaddon ( )
Date: August 20, 2014 06:10PM

I have 3 children and I think it has brought more happiness to my life than I deserve.

That being said, anyone that tells you to have kids or that you'll change your mind should be told to f*** off as it's none of their damn business.

Posted by: shortbobgirl ( )
Date: August 20, 2014 08:12PM

I rent children with no option to buy. I feel the need to "parent" I borrow a kid from a friend. Reminds quickly why I don't want them full time.

Posted by: TDWMB ( )
Date: August 20, 2014 08:16PM

happiness.

Think long and hard before you bring a child into this world, they go to the top of your priority list and stay their till they are about 25 or so and then you still worry about them.

Fell no obligation to have children if that's not what you want.

Posted by: sassypants ( )
Date: August 20, 2014 09:04PM

If you don't want children then you shouldn't have them. It's rude of people to patronisingly tell you that one day you will want them.

My husband and I waited for a long time before having kids and I heard all sorts of things about how "selfish" I was. Or how no one thought we'd have children because I was...again...so selfish. To me, it was important to have children if/when I was ready. Luckily my husband was on board with that. In the end, we had 2, but I respect other people enough to let them decide what works best for them.

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: August 20, 2014 09:40PM

Some people do change their minds and others do not. Regardless, it is your life. Don't let others guilt you.If you are young, I would be open to the idea that you could feel differently a few years from now. If you don't, it is no one elses' business. Everyone doesn't have to be a parent.

Posted by: anonrit3n0w ( )
Date: August 20, 2014 09:41PM

Me either. However much I love children, I love giving them back to their parents more.

Posted by: hairfanatic ( )
Date: August 20, 2014 10:43PM

I'm childfree too. :)

I used to get really annoyed with comments people would make to me, but now I don't even care. And people quit making comments eventually, which is nice (they probably quit making them since I'm single now, but still...)

Nice to hear quite a few posters don't want kids!

Posted by: sizterh ( )
Date: August 20, 2014 10:59PM

Live life in the way you would be happiest. I didn't realize having kids was a choice until recently. I think I still would have had my three but I wish I had at least known it was a choice first.

Children are constant, constant work. It is the biggest choice someone could make. Do what makes you happy!!! It is no one else's business.

Posted by: MJ ( )
Date: August 20, 2014 10:59PM

Posted by: sizterh ( )
Date: August 20, 2014 11:37PM

+1

Posted by: michaelc1945 ( )
Date: August 20, 2014 11:22PM

We have four kids, six grandkids and soon to be four great grands.
My wife and I often joke about how if we had known what we do now about kids, we would have raised cocker spaniels instead.

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: August 20, 2014 11:24PM

Everyone is not cut out for parenthood. There is one good reason to have children and that reason is that you really want them.

Posted by: raiku ( )
Date: August 20, 2014 11:31PM

You're better off not having kids unless

1. you REALLY want them and will love them a lot
2. you can pass a basic psyche exam for mental health
3. you can give them a good physical and emotional environment to be raised in

If only people who were really well equipped to have kids had them (especially mental health wise), then this world would rapidly become a better place. Everyone else should enjoy life and concentrate on improving their own mental, physical, and financial health, before they even consider having kids.

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: August 20, 2014 11:41PM

You don't have to apologize or explain your decision to not have

children to anyone!!!!!! It's your life and your body and your

decision. Go For it and chose for youself. Enjoy !!!!!!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.