Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Mythb4meat ( )
Date: August 20, 2014 12:24AM

Here is Eastern WA, my friend has recently completed a large expansion / building to fully house his mega-sized LDS book collection. It numbers more than 22,000 volumes and is the largest private collection that I have seen. He is a Protestant Christian, a never-mo, and enjoys witnessing to and dialoguing with Mormons. For aprox 40 years he has acquired these books in the following ways:

1) Mormons gave books to him
2) Many trips to D.I. in 5 western states
3) purchased rare books at SLC bookstores
4) ex-mo's gave him their unwanted collections

He hoardes large quantities of certain items, as he is very generous about giving away free books or magazines to those working with Mormons. For example, he has about 200 copies of the official church 1972 Family Home Evening manual, as this manual has a child's level drawing of how mommy and daddy had relations to create a baby, is the same as God and his wife having Jesus!

I think the majority of his books came from D.I. stores, and about 15 years ago one could often find real gems, even fairly valuable church books there.

He has 5 first edition "Mormon Doctrine" by McConkie. Many early editions of D & C, BOM, etc that are quite rare. And several complete, beautiful sets of original 26 volumes of Journal of Discourses; among MANY others.

Needless to say, he has a huge monetary investment in book cases and shelves! The few active Mormons who have seen his library, roam around in there with wide eyes!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: vh65 ( )
Date: August 20, 2014 12:19PM

Tell him to leave the library to someone who will love, understand and wisely handle it. My FIL's wine and art collections have been hard to deal with, and as for my mom's 300 nativity sets... I am do glad she seems to be giving some away.

Posted by: sonoma ( )
Date: August 20, 2014 12:21PM

I take the wine...

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: August 20, 2014 12:25PM

Fascinating. I have read of many people with large collections. This one is amazing.

Posted by: tops ( )
Date: August 20, 2014 08:11PM

more exposure...

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.