Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Anon on EmailMonitoring ( )
Date: December 27, 2012 02:19AM

Rosenip: You asked about whether or not email is monitored. I know for a fact that in 2003, it was. My husband was sent home because of some things that were written in an email exchange between us in discussing some things that happened before he went on his mission. I know specifically that this is what it was because his Bishop at the time told him after he got back that it was what was written in the email that got him sent home. At that time, they had a filter set up that picked up certain words, and then if one of those words were in the email, they would go in and read the email to see what it was really about. So, don't doubt for a minute that the Church email system missionaries use is monitored - it is! I would guess it's only gotten more sophisticated in the years since 2003.

Also, I would speculate that at least 50% of the reason for having young men go on missions is to really convert them to the Church because after that kind of time commitment even, they are less likely to leave. I liked what one poster said about making a statement to your son that the Church can't be trusted and getting him out. I see where some say it should be his choice, but, really, you as parents likely got him into it (and that really wasn't his choice), so you should get him out. The Church is manipulative. The whole missionary experience is part of that. There are a lot of options besides missions for foreing learning and working experiences - it's not worth it in my opinion.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: bingoe4 ( )
Date: December 27, 2012 02:29AM

I know that snail mail we received in the Philippines was monitored. All letters were sent to the mission office and then distributed about the mission once a week.

Posted by: dissonanceresolved ( )
Date: December 27, 2012 08:26AM

Since they lowered the age for new Elders to 18 I figured the reason was to up the retention rates. An 18 year old straight out of high school is more maleable (and way less mature!) than a young man with a year of college experience.

Thanks for sharing that the e-mail and letters are monitored. I'm going to send a letter in the next package I mail in early January. I tape those very well and tell him in an e-mail that they are coming, so it should be obvious if someone tampers with it.

He is reasonably intelligent and I believe he will tell us if he wants/needs to come home. He has lots of nonmember friends so he does have a support system outside of the LDS church.

Posted by: Scott.T ( )
Date: December 28, 2012 12:37AM

The original thread was closed when I first saw it, but I wanted to agree with someone else there ....

Although outwardly I kept up appearances, I would have jumped at the chance to come home if I had the chance even though I was overseas, learning a new language and loved the country and people. I hated being a missionary, but hid it well to those back home and even convinced myself it was all true and I was doing the right thing anyways enough to stay active another 20 years. As a missionary, I daydreamed about any far fetched scenario I could come up with that would allow me to go home early, yet still 'honorably'. So, bottom line, I wouldn't be pushy about it, but would hint to your son that your views on the church have changed and most importantly just let him know that if he wants to come home early he has your total support and even encouragement, to do so. Even if he's still convincing himself of the church's truth, he may just jump at such an opportunity.

As for mail ... I went on my mission pre-email and our snail mail went direct to our apartment ... So in that case there'd be no monitoring of course.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/28/2012 12:38AM by Scott.T.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.