Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: themaster ( )
Date: August 17, 2014 08:45AM

Steve Benson mentioned in a thread that he lives in Gilbert, Arizona and the missionaries have been told by their leaders to not contact him.

I used to live in Gilbert (1980's) and back then the LDS church ran that town. The percentage of LDS was about 80% and Catholics was 10%. I was TBM back then and I was surprised when the church leaders decided I was to hold a position in the Gilbert Republican Party. I had never been to a Republican meeting nor expressed a desire to be involved. The church leaders ran every aspect of life in Gilbert and there was little difference between church and state.

There used to be several dairy farms there and at night the smell from the cattle would drift for miles. It was a sweet foul smell. The power brokers were developers and decided the dairy farms had to go so they could sell homes. Gilbert was mostly cotton farms with a population of 7,500.

I was kinda surprised to learn the master plan for Gilbert the LDS leaders had. They had decided to turn the cotton fields into subdivisions and where the schools would be along with LDS churchs and they had even decided where the Temple would be. I thought a Temple in these cotton fields when the Mesa Temple is like 10 miles away.

I had moved to Gilbert because I wanted to live in a small town. I liked shopping with the merchants in old town shops. It looked like an old western town. If I wanted modern shops, Mesa was just across Baseline Road.

I was TBM yet the Mormon influence was everywhere. It controlled every aspect of life in Gilbert.

Gilbert had a slogan they were so proud of, they had bumper stickers even. I spent a month in Gilbert one night.

The paradise I had found was no paradise at all. I packed my bags and moved. I like living where Mormon's have little to no influence. Gilbert was my Taliban.

I spent a lifetime among Mormons one year.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: quinlansolo ( )
Date: August 17, 2014 09:11AM

I can't say I remotely experienced similar atmosphere living in W.Jordan for 25 years......

Date: August 17, 2014 11:00AM

quinlansolo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I can't say I remotely experienced similar
> atmosphere living in W.Jordan for 25 years......

I have been to W. Jordan multiple times in the last 20 years. I have been there twice in the last 12 months or so. Perhaps your stake is different but the last time I was in West Jordan (this year) I noticed the same large poster board (sign) in the same color in the front window of EVERY single house on the street. I knocked 3 times with my white rubber mallet and asked why do all the houses have the same color poster board on their front window. I was told the Poster Boards were there as part of the Stake Emergency Plan. In the event of an emergency, Block Captains walk their block and count the different color signs. One color is we are ok and other color means we need help.

I asked if everyone on the street was a member and they are not but having the sign in the front window is a Stake requirement. If a sign is not in the window, the block captain has to go check on them regardless of membership status.

I would say the Mormon influence is alive and well in West Jordan, Utah. Put up our stupid cardboard sign or we knock on your door until you do.

Posted by: Dennis Moore ( )
Date: August 17, 2014 10:45AM

Does that mean that you have been following the Green Acre Tragedy?

http://www.azcentral.com/story/news/local/gilbert/2014/06/23/gilbert-dogs-dead-arizona-boarding-questions/11253033/

21 dogs died at the boarding home plus 2 others. 2 rabbits also died in a separate incident.

Date: August 17, 2014 11:09AM

I read about it on the internet. Is there more to the story?

When I lived in Gilbert, I had a show quality Cocker Spaniel Stud. We needed to go out of town for the weekend and left him with a nice LDS lady. When we got back she had cut all of his wings (long hair between the front and back legs). She said he looked hot with all that hair and was so proud of herself.

She ruined any chance of him being in any show and destroyed future stud fees. The groomer was really upset. They had brokered several females to mate with him.

There were really stupid people in Gilbert. She was from Hurricane, Utah.

Date: August 17, 2014 11:14AM

Mods: please don't delete. Their names are public record.

The idiots that run Green Acre are LDS. Maleisa and Todd Hughes. Their daughter Logan is married to Sen. Jeff Flake's son Austin.

Here's a copy of the letter they give their boarders:

https://twitter.com/GrnAcrTragedy23/status/500664052914585600/photo/1

Posted by: zaphodbeeblebrox ( )
Date: August 17, 2014 11:20AM

Remember, they don't just Think, they KNOW!

As for The OP, I Live in a Little Town Called Henniker, 4000 Strong ...

We've Successfully Resisted Development for Years, One of our State Reps, Calls it Maintaining our Rural Character!

Date: August 17, 2014 11:22AM

If Green Acre is the place you took your Cocker, you might want to contact the attorney who is handling the owner's lawsuit. Check out The Tragedy at Green Acre faceybook page.

Posted by: abaddon ( )
Date: August 17, 2014 11:40AM

I've been taking my brown lab to green acres since the accident.

I'm getting rates to die for.

Date: August 17, 2014 11:44AM

abaddon Wrote:
> I've been taking my brown lab to green acres since
> the accident.
>
> I'm getting rates to die for.

Seriously? The whole situation is nothing to laugh about. All you have to do is look at the MCSO pictures of dead dogs in the shed and you'll get even more p*ssed off.

Nice try?!

Date: August 17, 2014 11:54AM

Yeah, Dude ...

NOT Funny!

Date: August 17, 2014 12:15PM

zaphodbeeblebrox Wrote:
> Yeah, Dude ...
>
> NOT Funny!

Thanks! Some people...

Date: August 17, 2014 12:18PM

Yeah, No Problem ...

Such Nerve!

Date: August 17, 2014 12:27PM

Just because I laugh doesn't mean I caused the accident.

Nor does it mean I wouldn't have tried to prevent it had I been there.

Why so serious??

Date: August 17, 2014 12:50PM

abaddon Wrote:
> Just because I laugh doesn't mean I caused the
> accident.
>
> Nor does it mean I wouldn't have tried to prevent
> it had I been there.
>
> Why so serious??

Because what happened to those beloved pet and service dogs is a f*cking crime! Neglect! It is NOT a joke or to be laughed about. How would you like to be put in a 9x12 room with 27 other people and have no air circulation or a/c?

https://plus.google.com/100993558810907233835/about

Those are the pictures of the dead dogs. Try laughing about it after looking at them.

Here are the victims:

https://www.pinterest.com/YOitsDENO/green-acres-dog-boarding-tragedyhttpmyoutubecomwat/

Enough said!

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: August 17, 2014 12:59PM

Maybe you, or at least your moniker should investigate the Robin Williams' retirement plan...

Still laughing?

I think not.

Date: August 17, 2014 01:24PM

At this point I'm laughing at your "righteous" outrage.

You have the choice not to be offended by my words you know, be they juvenile or sophisticated.

The fact that you're yelling epithets and crying for my own death (an anonymous internet poster) tells WAY more about you than any inappropriate joke I could ever tell.

Date: August 17, 2014 12:36PM

When I got back from my mission Senator Flake has a relative that sold investments (charming man) that wanted me to sell investments for him. It sounded shady so I declined. I heard the government shut him down. The IRS did not accept it as an investment tax deduction. Lots of LDS members lost on that one. He sold to LDS rich members (Bishops, etc).

His relative gave an investment Fireside for Young Adults. He said we should buy new Porsche and sell them every year that way our cars would only cost gas and insurance. I was driving a used Pacer. Like I could afford a Porsche to start with.

I did look at a used Porsche last Friday $84,000. Nice car. Maybe the previous owner was a flake. LMAO.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/17/2014 12:40PM by themaster.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.