Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: southern idaho inactive ( )
Date: November 06, 2012 03:20PM

I have a 19 year old TBM nephew who has been called to serve a mission there. He is going to the Temple this Saturday(he lives in California). According to my TBM mom, my TBM SIL(his mom) has family down there. I'm not sure if it even spanish speaking or not. Does anyone know?

Does anyone know what's the stats like for missionaries there? Would he be able to get any new suckers into the morg cult? Or would it be pointless since it's the USA and the Internet is everywhere on laptaps, smartphones,blu ray players etc..

Should I be worried about the "borders wars" down there between our country and Mexico with him serving down there or not?

Thanks for the help!!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: The Oncoming Storm - bc ( )
Date: November 06, 2012 03:24PM

They have redone the mission borders since I was there so my info is a little out of date from 91-93. I served in the Tempe mission.

The Phoenix mission is just Phoenix and north of Phoenix so he won't be anywhere close to Mexico - both the Tempe & Mesa missions are south of the Phoenix mission.

When I was there the Tempe mission was one of the highest baptizing missions in the US - somewhere around 100 baptisms per month. I think the Phoenix mission was about 2/3 that - so maybe 70 baptisms per month - so yeah he'll probably get some baptisms - above average for English speaking.

Also in the Tempe mission about 85% of the missionaries were English speaking and 15% were Spanish speaking. I would anticipate that the Phoenix mission would be similar.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/06/2012 03:30PM by bc.

Posted by: AON46 ( )
Date: November 06, 2012 03:27PM

Im in Phoenix. It's hot. Well not now. Now it's really nice out.
Just make sure to have your papers to keep Seriff Jo off your case. I don't speak Spanish.

Posted by: 2humble4u ( )
Date: November 06, 2012 08:06PM

There's a guy in my ward who just got back from that mission, actually.

From what he's told me they got a few baptisms in each year, and most converts were spanish-speaking. So it's reasonable to assume that he'll get some converts.

There are many mexicans but he shouldn't be concerned about 'border wars'.

All the best to your nephew, with any luck he'll come home with a tan and no converts.

Posted by: the outlander ( )
Date: November 07, 2012 10:44AM

I'm sure much has changed since then. I can tell you that when I was there we were always treated well and had tons of baptisms due to all the member referrals we got. I spent a lot of time up north in Prescott AZ & Farmington NM.

Like most posting on this site I wish I wouldn't have waisted those two years of my life. You shouldn't have to worry about him having problems with the border as his missions is much farther North. There are other missions south of the APM that go down to the border. Let me know if you have any more questions and I can try and answer them.

Posted by: The Oncoming Storm - bc ( )
Date: November 07, 2012 11:05AM

I lived in Farmington NM for 5 years: 1981-1986

Posted by: dazed11 ( )
Date: November 07, 2012 10:59AM

The border wars have little impact other than within a few miles of the border. He will be fine. There was an article in the Arizona Republic a couple years ago about one of the missions in the Phoenix area and it said they baptize about 800 people a year so he will most likely have at least a few baptisms.

Posted by: kolobian ( )
Date: November 07, 2012 11:35AM

I live in phoenix and the border wars are no joke. It's like Baghdad over here. An explosion just rocked my office a minute ago. As of an hour ago the cartels had broken through the national guard lines at 16th st and were pushing through to the capital.

wait, hold on. what's that? is that? no. nO! NO!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.